TW200 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at my bike yesterday and thinking about making a rack to match my rear rack that would mount low just above the front fender using the fender mounting bolts. This looks on the surface as a good possibility that would also not block the headlight. Thinking further though, with a load strapped to the rack, would this block the airflow too much? Is that maybe why none of the rack makers design one for this location? Just curious.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I don't have any input here, but I am very interested to see what you come up with as I always felt that the Cycleracks front rack would be pretty useless.

Dan

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Unsprung mass. The TW's relatively heavy unsprung mass already works against its handling and ride. Mounting to the lower forks would make the problem worse. Also, anything mounted to the lower forks will get beaten to death on all but the smoothest pavement. Not a good idea.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Good point qwerty...

Front racks are usually either above or below the headlight.

I suppose you could hang/mount stuff underneath the Cycleracks rack to keep from blocking the headlight?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unsprung mass. The TW's relatively heavy unsprung mass already works against its handling and ride. Mounting to the lower forks would make the problem worse. Also, anything mounted to the lower forks will get beaten to death on all but the smoothest pavement. Not a good idea.
Yeah, I thougth about the extra mass and jarring too. Blackburn used to make a front rack for mountain bikes 25 years or so ago. They quit making them shortly afterward for much the same reason, I think. Good point. How much stuff do I really want to carry anyway.

Dave

·
Registered
69 Posts
Check out Manracks.com They made an updated version(last December)-which mounts above the head light-and I tend to think it mounts to the handlebar supports etc.-and not to the lower suspension

·
Registered
512 Posts
That rack makes more sense than the Cycleracks front rack. Much nicer price too.

Dan

P.S. the TW in that picture with the rack needs new tires

·
Registered
553 Posts
I use the Cycleracks front rack often - mainly for tools or whatever's heaviest. Sometimes it slightly covers the headlight, but unless you're riding at night often, it's never given me a drama.

Also makes a good helmet rest.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts