TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else feels that the more weight you add to the back of the tdub, the more unstable the bike becomes?

I could be considered a feather-weight rider I guess at 115 lbs.

I have a heavy setup of racks and luggage at the back. On the front I am now with a Golden Boy and a ultra-heavy duty tube.

I recently found out that the closer I move to the front of the bike on the seat, the more my front wheel feels plant to the ground. But this seating position is quite uncomfortable in the long run.

Generally, I can't feel comfortable on gravel unless I use that seating position. Pushing hard on the handlebars seems to make me feel more secure as well. But it's an impossible way to do your riding hey...

At high speeds (over 90km/h) I've had enough wobble warnings to become very conscious of my driving.

First one happened when I had a pipe wrench in one of my cases. I loaded the bike with no after-thought and all the heavy stuff may have been on that side. It took strong wind gusts and longitudinal cracks on the asphalt to start the oscillation. Happened again a minute of two right after. I now call this "the pipe wrench effect" 馃槃

I changed my front tire again, just in case. But it's happening again with the Golden Boy.

I really suspect an imbalance in suspension between the front an the rear.

Thoughts? Stories?

I need the luggage space back there. My bike is my car at this time of year. I don't see how I could add more load to the front. And would it help anyway?

Registered
Maybe get a front rack and transfer some of the weight there. You also might want to try a backpack, if you haven't already.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought about the front rack but there's no where else to pack some stuff really other than in front of the headlight. :unsure:

Registered
I thought about the front rack but there's no where else to pack some stuff really other than in front of the headlight. :unsure:
Get a manracks front rack. They are above the headlight.

Reactions: TrailwayGirl

Registered
Are your steering bearings in good shape? Bad bearings can also attribute to steering problems and wobble. Get the front tire off the ground and check to see if it is stiff or it stops or jitters at certain points.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are your steering bearings in good shape? Bad bearings can also attribute to steering problems and wobble. Get the front tire off the ground and check to see if it is stiff or it stops or jitters at certain points.
I am only at 7000km. Everything seems to be in good condition there in the front. Will pay attention to this next time I lift my bike.

Super Moderator
You need to distribute the weight more evenly around the bike and learn to sit nearer to the gas tank

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gain some weight! :)
(All in fun... I weigh the same and hear that all the time.)
Ha ha! How I wish I was built heavier and taller. I can never convince my man that he'll never experience the way I feel my bike.

Registered
You need to distribute the weight more evenly around the bike and learn to sit nearer to the gas tank
I agree. I don't have a Tw (yet) but the principle is the same, need to hug the gas tank with your knees and relax everything else. Are you really short?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree. I don't have a Tw (yet) but the principle is the same, need to hug the gas tank with your knees and relax everything else. Are you really short?
5 feet 2

Hugging the gas tank makes a difference, but I will need that sheepskin if I keep doing it 馃槃

Super Moderator
In your case a front rack would help, get one that goes over the light so nothing will interfere with the light and move some tools up front and some on the rear. Shift your weight up front and get used to hugging the tank with your knees, this will shift weight over the front which is exactly what you want and the bike will feel much more stable. Have you lowered the front or rear? Or changed shocks or anything? What air are you running in the tires?

Reactions: Scooterbrained

Registered
Ha ha! How I wish I was built heavier and taller. I can never convince my man that he'll never experience the way I feel my bike.
Perhaps you can talk "your man" into riding on the handlebars one time!:)

Check for handling then and convince him of your experience.

Marty

Reactions: TrailwayGirl

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No tampering with suspension. I tiptoe my way on this bike and I prefer that to changing the geometry of the machine. I run my tires around specs (18-18). Tried harder cause I commute mainly on pavement but I felt so poorly grounded that I had no fun at all.

Reactions: littletommy

Registered
Is there any chance of moving your luggage, or at least some of it, just forward of the rear axle? Quite a bit of difference between that and it hanging past the rear axle.

Marty

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I load the heavier stuff in the front of my cases. I kind of want to avoid any kind of lever effect now.

Reactions: littletommy

Registered
Do you carry fuel or water? If so, they can ride up front in RotoPax jugs on a Cyclerack front rack. I carry a gallon of water and a gallon of gas up front and it balances out a bunch of weight on the rear.

PS... It also makes the front end kinda heavy and some folks would not like that. Doesn't bother me.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Registered
have you put ride-on tire balancing and flat sealer in the front tire? It does make a huge difference to have the front tire balanced. I noticed an immediate difference when I put it in the front tire. They make a formula specifically for motorcycles.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Funny cause I thought about that. I only fill my Rotopax once a week so that doesn't count and plus it's on my tail rack.

Upon reflecting on my growing concern with stability, I thought about getting the front rack and carrying water in a Rotopax just for the sake of giving my front wheel more grip.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts