TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just wondering if I take that casing off that holds the front sprocket if the left side full of oil? Or what's under there?

·
Registered
913 Posts
Under mine I found rainbows, bunny rabbits, and candy. You will probably find a small amount of oil and the stator windings. However, your joy could soon lead to sorrow if you are not VERY careful when you re-install the cover and pinch those two f'ing wires that fit(?) in a tight grove in the case and cover.

This one thing took me over an hour to get fit correctly, the first time I did it. And, that was after I ate all the candy.

#2? Buy a new gasket. It's price will teach you not goof around in here unless it is ABSOLUTELY necessary.

Have fun! That's what TWs are for and you never know what you will find inside the engine.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
I think you are correct that the front sprocket shaft seats into the cover on the left side. There is an oil seal. There is a small amount which dribbles out if I recall correctly. The oil doesn't poor out when disassembling.

·
Registered
8,353 Posts
What TWBrian said is the right answer. All I ever found when removing the left side case cover was a PITA (Pain in the A$$). To clarify that, You will almost always need a new case gasket and you must clean all the old gasket off from both sides before replacing the new one. You should clean all the crud from the sprocket compartment and be very careful getting the wires in the correct slot that go up under the seat. There are seals on the shift shaft, main shaft and on the neutral switch that should be checked and I usually just replace them while I am in there. There is a bearing and seal for the output sprocket shaft inside the case cover I also replace when ever I install a new front sprocket. Because of all of this I always recommend you do the job right, do it all just once and leave the front sprocket the stock 14 tooth and make gearing changes from the rear sprocket if you want to change gearing. I top it off by adding a very good quality O or X ring chain that will last way longer, reduce the sprocket wear and keep you from having to adjust the chain every few hundred miles. When you do it right you should be good for at least 10,000 miles with very little else to do. I also always remove the gas tank and the seat and battery and just lay the bike on the side when I do this work so I get no leaks and can work at my leisure from a good position. Before you remove the first side case cover screw you lay the new gasket on a piece of cardboard and trace it with a pencil and poke holes where each screw goes. As you remove the screws poke them into the cardboard so you know which screw goes back into what hole, they are all different lengths.

I will also recommend you have an Impact driver and the correct size #3 JIS or #3 Cross Point bit to fit the case screws so you don't round them off by using a regular #3 Phillips head bit.

GaryL

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
Also clean the outside of the case so dirt doesn't get into the engine when you remove the cover.

Have a new gasket handy in case you need it but reusing the old gasket is OK if it separates in one piece i.e. it doesn't rip.

I like to buy a complete gasket set if I can find one for about $35 instead of just the side cover gasket. That way down the road, when o-rings and other gaskets start to leak I have them already. In the long run it is much cheaper.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay thanks for your input that helps, its leaking from that gasket already from previous owner so that's why I wanted to know what I'm going to get myself Into when I replace it so all the info helps a lot!

·
Registered
816 Posts
not that you wanted more opinions, but id ditch those jis screws while there out. I have replaced all of mine on both motors with allen/cap head bolts with a dash of anti seize on them. I regularly work on my bikes so I like the ease of removal. I also replace my oil every 1000 miles so If i'm short of that when a cover needs opened oh well oil is cheap insurance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts