TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I recently replaced the front sprocket on my '05 Tdub and used a new gasket when replacing valve cover. I made sure to clean the surface of each piece before installing the gasket, and then torqued everything down to the recommended spec in the service manual of 5.1 ft lbs. I then ran the bike for a few days and then noticed that it had a slow leak at the gasket. I tightened all of the bolts on the cover a bit more, since it's aluminum I didn't want to go crazy. It still leaked and slowly got worse. I got tired of refilling the oil all the time so I pulled the cover off last night to examine the gasket. Below are a few pics, any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Looks like the wrong gasket to me. If you got the gasket at a dealer and still have the receipt I would call and have them double check the part number, or look it up on stadiumyamaha.com and verify it's the correct part.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Here is what the gasket looks like.

I scanned one.

Check how wide the top and bottom areas of this look compared to the one you used.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm, good old Boats.net, if they're going to take a week and a half to send something from Florida to Colorado, better make sure they send the wrong part too!
Oh well, I guess that's my fault for not examining it closer when I put it on. Does anyone know what the correct part number they think it should be? I'll look up the part number I bought this afternoon when I get home from work.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Its the countershaft seal my did the same thing. Be careful taking it out though it is very easy to strip the phillips head screws that hold it in.

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
If you still have the cover off change both seals on the counter shaft and the seal on the shift shaft. It is easy preventative maintenance.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I needed the same gasket. Luckily, the local shop was able to make gaskets in their own shop.

It only cost me $8. Maybe a local shop can make it for you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts