TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to TW's. Am looking to swap out my front tire to a Shinko 241 based on the forum here.

Went to CycleGear to price out and they were charging $50 to mount. Dirt bike tires are $25, but... He said that they charge more because they balance the rim.

Is this true with TW's? Of all the forum members swapping out their own tires, I doubt all the forum members are self balancing.

Can you confirm?

Thank you

P.S. The local CycleGear said they've stopped selling Shinko's because they explode. Although I've never heard anything in the forums of this.

P.S.S. He said they don't sell them, but they sell them on their web site. :confused:

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Very weird...I never balanced mine but I'm off road. I've had it up to 70kph and seemed fine.

I have no idea what this fool was referring to about exploding. Over inflating an ATV tire on a TW rim maybe but the sr241 are really soft rubber and super easy to mount.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Do it yourself and add ride-on to the tube, which will seal small holes and balance the tire. I never balanced the wheels on the WR and I have had it up to 80 mph with no wheel balance issues. I use ride-on in the VStrom tires and I have had it up to 100 mph with no wheel balance issues.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Do it yourself and add ride-on to the tube, which will seal small holes and balance the tire. I never balanced the wheels on the WR and I have had it up to 80 mph with no wheel balance issues. I use ride-on in the VStrom tires and I have had it up to 100 mph with no wheel balance issues.
+1 on Ride-on

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I like CycleGear because I like having a store close by when I don’t have the time to wait for shipping on certain items. That being said, I think you should read the first post in this thread. You can at least point out the speedo tabs to warn them not to damage them. Cheers

http://tw200forum.com/forum/tw200-classifieds/45338-front-wheel.html

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
i balanced mine at home, as i was having a wee bit of wobble problem. i just pulled the brake caliper off and the wheel spun freely and added string lead to the proper spokes until it was balanced. i had the tire mounted at the yamaha dealer and they charged $30, so i can't see a wheel balance costing $20. that is what i pay to balance my 18" truck wheels

·
Registered
937 Posts
My mechanic did balance my front tire, a 241. He mentioned that the 241s are getting better - mine only needed one small weight to balance. In the past he said that Shinko tires often needed 3 or more weights to balance. He balances all bikes that can be driven on the road.
I also added ride on - it will keep the tire balanced over time/riding whereas an initially balanced tire can get out of balance with use. It may also help with small punctures near the center of the tire.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I balance mine with a similar version to this pic. Mounting and balancing is a skill that once learned will save you some money. I actually enjoy doing it.
View attachment 163881
I have this Tusk balancer. It works great, and yet i do balance my TW tires.

FWIW, avoid the balancer that Harbor freight sells. I bought one and it was not very good. The cones were not machined properly and the shaft was bent right out of the box. There is no way it owuld have balanced a tire properly.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
I guess I got lucky. My HF one seems fine. The Shinko tires I have had were balanced nearly perfect, one was and required no weights. I had a Pirelli, not on the TW, which took a huge amount of weights. I should have returned the tire. It ended up cracking across the threads which started to concern me.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts