TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in a gravel road area with off road dirt, mud and muskeg. What is the best tire choice for the those conditions? I've looked through the tire threads and am looking for real world experience. I just purchased a new 2016.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I like the Shinko 241 for all dirt, rocky, sand and on road.
I don't see that much mud so not too much experience there. But I do ride in the rain, what little we get, and it works on wet paved streets and wet dirt roads.

·
Super Moderator
5,247 Posts
We usually kick this question about a bit – it’s like asking “which oil do you use” (always a favourite) – but the “safe” answer is always the Shinko 241

A few of us use different tires depending on availability and use – but most of us settle on the 241 (partly because it’s easier)

Assuming you’ve read the 21 page thread on the subject, you’ll see what I mean ….

The important thing is to change the stock front ASAP – but I’m guessing you got that message …. ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, thanks. I did check the tire page but its hard to figure out if their is better option for 100% off road. But yeah the front tire likes to slide out in the loose gravel. I've caught it a few times already. I'll take it easy with the bike for the next few km and then get a 241. First bike since 2010, never had an enduro before, just street bikes. Looking forward to putt putting around.

Thanks.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have the 241 and definitely wouldn't recommend it for mud or snowy conditions. It doesn't self clean and it slips all over the place. May as well be on ice. I learned that on a trip up in the mountains when the snow was melting and making a muddy mess on dirt roads. The knobs on the 241 are to close together for mud. The 241 is absolutely amazing in hard pack, sand and street though. If I'm going to a place where mud is a possibility I'm going take my ktm with desert tires next time. One other thought, the stock tw rear tire isn't all that grippy in mud either, but livable. The rear tire is just a hindrance when you try and climb up muddy trails, but fine when turning or going straight.

As for a good front tire choice just choose one that has large gaps between the knobs so it self cleans and chances are that tire will perform well in dry off road conditions as well.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
I like the 244 for off road but it is the only other tire I've had on the front besides the stocker. I've got a Dunlop 606 that's going on when the 244 gets the knobs worn down a little more.

·
Registered
779 Posts
MT21 or D606 may clear mud better, but as it is not the driven wheel, you still can't spin it "clean" like a rear knobby. My experience with the MT21 on the TW has been very good and an added bonus, effectively zero noticeable wear in 2k miles. It is also better than the OE tire in every way including on road IMO. I have not run the 241 but it is about half the price and likely works nearly as well in mud and better on road, rock, hardpack and gravel based on reports from other members. The 241 may leave the TW more balanced as well in some situations. I have had the front grip and the rear walk out on muddy off camber trails. Not a big deal, but it was noticeable that the front could get you through where the rear just didn't have the grip to stay on the trail. I don't get this same sensation on my other bikes with a more balanced front and rear tire. Nothing without studs will work well in snow and ice. I did use mine in snow last deer season and it is a pucker inducing experience.

I have said it before, I think the MT21 looks cooler then the 241. I need all the manly cool factor I can get on the diminutive TW ;)

·
Registered
1,865 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
After my 241 wears out (if ever), I may try a more aggressive dirt tread pattern just to see how it differs. The front tire on my ktm is a dot approved metzeler 6 days extreme and I can fly through the mud and even lean without fear of slipping. I do think that's because it's a 21" and it's thinner which slices through the mud instead of floating like the 241 does. I think wider is bad for mud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
MT43 is a great off road tire and I found it works better in all conditions than the 244 Goldenboy.
Being from the wet coast I see plenty of mud and have no issue with the MT43 clearing the mud especially when it is run at low psi where it can flex.
Note: I also run a duro on the back so will push the mud adventures more than the average TWer.
I have No idea how the 241 performs.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Ive been tossing around the idea of putting on something a little more aggressive. The Kenda 760 is gonna have a home on my front rim pretty soon i think. I have a shinko 244 4.6 incher on now, but even though its 10x better than the stocker, it still isnt all that great in gravel over packed dirt, or on steep off camber washout trails. I dont ride on road all that much so im hoping it might be the ticket for me. Ive searched all the threads on that tire, but id take any new real world experience.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Drstimpy I remember when you got that tire. I didn't know you tried the 241 and 244. How about a ride comparison?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Ive been tossing around the idea of putting on something a little more aggressive. The Kenda 760 is gonna have a home on my front rim pretty soon i think. I have a shinko 244 4.6 incher on now, but even though its 10x better than the stocker, it still isnt all that great in gravel over packed dirt, or on steep off camber washout trails. I dont ride on road all that much so im hoping it might be the ticket for me. Ive searched all the threads on that tire, but id take any new real world experience.
Thanks in advance
I tried a kenda 760. After three disappointing rides I took it off and tossed it. Wasn't as good as the 241 in any situation, even mud surprisingly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Reactions: BkCntryCrwlr
1 - 20 of 28 Posts