TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the tw and forums so forgive me on lack of knowledge. long time rider but not on this animal. Harley(now) and dirt bikes(a few years ago). getting back into it to ride with my son. problem I have is the front tire (stock) seems "loose", likes to slide. what are some good choices for a replacement. 50/50 road and dirt. TIA

·
Super Moderator
17,983 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! :D

A popular tire right now on the forum which doesn't slide around is the Shinko 241. The stock tire is noted for this problem and most folks replace it sooner or later. (depending on how many times they wipe out...) ;)
New to the tw and forums so forgive me on lack of knowledge. long time rider but not on this animal. Harley(now) and dirt bikes(a few years ago). getting back into it to ride with my son. problem I have is the front tire (stock) seems "loose", likes to slide. what are some good choices for a replacement. 50/50 road and dirt. TIA

·
Registered
13,652 Posts

You didn't mention what type of off-road terrain you'll be riding in but may I suggest a Shinko SR241 as mentioned above or Shinko SR244 (Kenda 270 is very similar to the SR244). Either does pretty good on the highway or off-road though from my experience the SR244 is much noisier than the SR241.

I've been waiting to post this picture for a long time and this is meant to be humorous so don't take it personally. :p

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I can only tell you what not to do - stay away from Bridgestone TW203. All of my riding is city streets. It's great for street riding, but my little experience on loose gravel and grass (wet or dry) tells me it's not "user friendly" off road. Listen to the guys here about good knobbies. And definitely get that stocker off.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Welcome from KS. IRC makes a trials type front tire. I bought one and was told it wasn't very good, so don't be tempted by the IRC. Best of luck.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
For sure the 244 is an upgrade from stock and a 47 tooth works if you do mostly hard pack roads without hills. I had the 14 47 and went back to stock. I weigh 260 and it just didn't have the power with the higher gearing. I see Ccraft talking of going 15 47. Unless he is strictly highway and a small person most likely will never see 5th gear.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I recently upgraded the front from stock to the Shinko 244 4.60 and love it. When riding gravel/dirt roads it responds so much better then the old tire. Very comfortable riding 40 mph on gravel to get to dirt trails and I also do a ton of sand hill riding in western Nebraska.
I went with the 4.60 because i ride so much sand and wanted a little narrower tire but not so much that it takes away from the fat tire look of the TW. Also very good around town taking tight turns at decent speed and at 60 mph on the few times I need to ride the HWY.

TW OLD NEW1.jpg

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
"I can only tell you what not to do - stay away from Bridgestone TW203. All of my riding is city streets. It's great for street riding, but my little experience on loose gravel and grass (wet or dry) tells me it's not "user friendly" off road. Listen to the guys here about good knobbies. And definitely get that stocker off."

Sorry but I must disagree. The 203 is way better than the stocker off road and I find the 244 slightly better off road than the 203 when its at 12 psi. With both at 18 psi I would rather have the 203 off road and especially on the road. I rode on/off road with 203/204s for a few years and just switched to 244 and stock rear and honestly find them a real compromise. I can no longer do ramps and twisties at wot and have to limit my top end due to high speed wobbles.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts