TW200 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a hard time figuring this one out. I have a 2007 TW200, all stock. I left the petcock open all winter and now I am getting fuel in the airbox. I have replaced the needle valve and confirmed that the float is closing off fuel flow into the bowl by leaving the fuel bowl off and manually pushing the float up and down.

However, when I adjust the float per the manual supplement, reattach the float bowl and start the bike, I still get fuel in the airbox. It comes out of the hole on the airbox side shown in the attached pic. carb.JPG

·
Super Moderator
4,883 Posts
With the petcock in the "on" position, any malfunction of the main jet shut off (the float) will produce one of two results

Either it goes into the air-box, or it goes into the oil sump

I'd suggest that while you rip the carb apart (again), you check the oil level ........

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Manually pushing the float up manually doesn't mean that the fuel level in the bowl will close the float valve.

You can check the fuel level with a clear plastic tube connected to the bowl drain.

You said you replaced the needle valve.

Did you also replace the valve seat, and o-ring?

The o-ring is notorious for leaking fuel past the float seat...even if the valve is closed.

jb

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You probably also have gotten fuel in the oil. At the very least pull the dipstick and smell in the hole. Any slight smell of gas requires changing the oil.
Always turn the fuel off for storage of more than a day or two.
Exactly, turns out the fuel was coming from the crankcase, not the carb. I changed the oil and everything seems to be fine, going to just drain it again one more time really soon and change the filter.

Thanks everyone!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts