TW200 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a brand new 17 tw200, has about 200 miles on it. I noticed when I went to check the air filter that there was some fuel in the bottom of the air box, nothing was pouring out but you could see it there. Could this be from not turning the petcock to off when its not in use ?

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Yes. No offence intended but I simply can't understand why people in general don't, some refuse to, turn the petcock off. You're asking for trouble if you don't. Do yourself a favor and check the oil for gas.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. No offence intended but I simply can't understand why people in general don't, some refuse to, turn the petcock off. You're asking for trouble if you don't. Do yourself a favor and check the oil for gas.
I guess I'm not used to having a carb bike. I'll start shutting it off and I'll change the oil just just to be safe.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
If you transported the bike without turning the petcock off, the jiggling will cause the float needle to let gas into the carb, where it can enter the airbox and/or the cylinder. That needle and seat should not leak on a brand new bike. But you need to change the oil anyway if you haven't done so (and for Lord's sake just clean the filter, not buy a new one!!!). I have left my petcock on many times when my bike is sitting in the garage and never had a problem....but I probably will someday....:witless: I did have a big problem with gas pooling on the floor of the trailer once when I forgot it on a wash boarded road, though!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you transported the bike without turning the petcock off, the jiggling will cause the float needle to let gas into the carb, where it can enter the airbox and/or the cylinder. That needle and seat should not leak on a brand new bike. But you need to change the oil anyway if you haven't done so (and for Lord's sake just clean the filter, not buy a new one!!!). I have left my petcock on many times when my bike is sitting in the garage and never had a problem....but I probably will someday....:witless: I did have a big problem with gas pooling on the floor of the trailer once when I forgot it on a wash boarded road, though!

I did change the oil and it smelled of fuel, so lesson learned turn off the valve.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts