TW200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a month ago I filled the tank and parked my TW in the shop. Recently I noticed a wet spot on the gravel floor.

I thought the leak was from filling the tank when vertical and leaking from the cap when parked but discovered the tank was nearly drained. (Discovered by running fully dry a few miles from home). I may have left the switch on Reserve when I filled and parked.

Would this cause all the fuel excerpt the Reserve to leak out or should I be looking for another cause?

M C

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Yeah, if you left the petcock in the ON or RES position when parking, and your float needle doesn't have a good seal, it sure could've all leaked out. Hopefully, it all just leaked out of the carb overflow onto the ground, but I would check to make sure none made its way into the engine oil or the airbox.

If you change your needle and seat inside of the carb, be sure to read up in the technical write-up section so you don't break off a float post.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
I filled up a crankcase twice with gasoline so I make sure I turn the petcock off. It did remove a lot of sludge so it was actually good that it happened and even better that I caught it before starting. I read about it exploding the oil pan off. That was on my Radian. The ethanol gas doesn't seem to be good for the needle valve.

·
Registered
13,719 Posts
Yeah, if you left the petcock in the ON or RES position when parking, and your float needle doesn't have a good seal, it sure could've all leaked out. Hopefully, it all just leaked out of the carb overflow onto the ground, but I would check to make sure none made its way into the engine oil or the airbox.

If you change your needle and seat inside of the carb, be sure to read up in the technical write-up section so you don't break off a float post.

Good luck!

In addition to what LTL mentions about the float needle, I had a bad O-ring on my needle valve seat which also allowed fuel to enter the float bowl (and beyond) onto the floor/ground.

Both the float needle valve and needle valve seat are shown in the photo below courtesy of forum member jbfla's carb photos.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Last year I had a puddle of gas under my Honda in the garage.
My problem was radiating cracks from around a mounting bolt of the tank. I had to buy a new gas tank.
Check for cracks. Clean the tank and dust the suspect areas with talcum powder. A wet spot should soon show if it is leaking.
If you have no talcum, flour will work too.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Excellent replies from Larry, Ken, Admiral and Phelonius.
If not a tank issue, either the fuel vented from the carb or went into the crankcase.
Does the crankcase smell of gasoline?

MC, how did the Triumph jacket work out?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks guys. Looks like I've got some work before I play.

Never even thought about fuel in the crankcase.

In my younger days, when I had an excuse for ignorance, had a fuel pump diaphragm rip in a slant 4 Pontiac Tempest. The superheated fuel in the crankcase was forcing oil out the breather which was collecting on the rear tires which were nearly bald. The front engine Tempest had a Corvair transaxle in the rear and though not as prone to over-steer, was still a pretty wild ride with near zero traction.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Great! Perfect fit. I've worn it several times this winter with all the armor and liner, then just the shell when not riding. This week it's been in the 80s so I've gone bare.
Great! Here, in the summer, it is down to gloves, a long sleeve T shirt, jeans and boots.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts