TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Difficult to start when tank is half empty and randomly bogs down while riding. Emptied and cleaned out gas tank and drained float bowl. Compressed air through fuel cock. 2015 with over 12,000 miles. When it bogs down while riding I'll pull the choke out and it will run better. Any suggestions? Thanks

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Make sure gas cap is venting properly. Wouldn’t hurt to look over your air filter and airbox. And double check your carb boots are good.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, just cleaned out the air box and filter. This is a California version with the charcoal canister. Not sure how to check gas cap for venting. Where the carburetor boots located? Are they the rubber ports or mounts to the engine and intake? Thanks

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Yes those are the boots. Check they are still properly fastened. You can spritz a bit of carb cleaner on them while bike is at idle. If rpms spike, you have an air leak. I forgot about Cali bikes. They vent via the canister.

Was bike running better before the airbox and filter cleaning? Cheers.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just cleaned air box so I don't know if that's the problem. Rear carb boot was loose and that make sense as to why choke helped it run better. Going for a ride later today. I'll update you. Thank you for sharing your knowledge on this subject.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Took it out and within 3 miles it started Bogging out but had lots more power. Also hard to start. Try some carb cleaner tomorrow and wash air filter.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Forgot to mention the old standard of a heavier dose of Seafoam, or whatever similar product you prefer. Has the carb ever been cleaned in the 12K miles? Cheers

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Forgot to mention the old standard of a heavier dose of Seafoam, or whatever similar product you prefer. Has the carb ever been cleaned in the 12K miles? Cheers

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Never cleaned the carb. Just got some Sea Foam and gave it a mix of 50/50 directly into the fuel hose while running. I'll let it sit for a few hours. Also, I sprayed carb cleaner all around the exterior with no change in rpm's.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sea Foam had no effect. Hard to start, bogs out in gear but idles perfectly. Emptied gas tank again, pulled pit cock out, the two filter on the pit cock are clean. The closed end tube under the air box was full of clean oil from the air filter I assume. Not sure if the carb was drawing any oil from it.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Sea Foam had no effect. Hard to start, bogs out in gear but idles perfectly. Emptied gas tank again, pulled pit cock out, the two filter on the pit cock are clean. The closed end tube under the air box was full of clean oil from the air filter I assume. Not sure if the carb was drawing any oil from it.
I had a very similar problem, turned out to be the pilot jet was somehow plugged, dirty, etc. I never would have believed it but someone on the forum here talked me into checking it again. I replaced it as it sure looked perfect to me. Fixed the problem! I put the old one back in, problem returned.
If you haven't replaced your pilot, give it a try. If you are buying a pilot, I think going up a couple sizes makes the bike run much better right off idle where the bog is even with a good pilot.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had a very similar problem, turned out to be the pilot jet was somehow plugged, dirty, etc. I never would have believed it but someone on the forum here talked me into checking it again. I replaced it as it sure looked perfect to me. Fixed the problem! I put the old one back in, problem returned.
If you haven't replaced your pilot, give it a try. If you are buying a pilot, I think going up a couple sizes makes the bike run much better right off idle where the bog is even with a good pilot.[/QUOTE

Never took appart a carb. Is there a good instructional thread? Also, is there a rebuild kit you would recommend? After Market? OEM?

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
... The closed end tube under the air box was full of clean oil from the air filter I assume. Not sure if the carb was drawing any oil from it.
That's there to catch excess oil from the filter. If it's too full, that same oil will go into the cylinder. I usually remove it and swab it out with a Q-tip once a year.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
lol. Could it be that simple? Either way, looks like I'll be taking the carburetor off. I'll check the spark plug for oil. The first couple of times I re-lubed the filter with 30w was excessive.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts

·
Registered
1,928 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Took carb out, removed float bowl and the head and torso of what looks like a termite. Removed main jet that had part of insect leg wedged in it. Pilot jet was clean. Blew both jet out with compressed air. Took off Coasting Enricher and found it cover in what looks like fresh motor oil. Checked spark plug and it was dry and clean, no oil. Not sure how it got there. Is the small piston shaped attachment "coaster enricher" that's fits into the body of the carb suppose to be lubricated?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Could it be varnished old gas not oil? That part does not get oil lubricated. Inspect the black rubber diaphram piece for cracks or splits or see if maybe it wasn’t aligned properly. Make sure it moves in and out with the spring tension.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yep, think you're right. There was a lot of it. Looks in good condition. Going to put the carb back on. Most difficult part of taking it off was getting the throttle cable off. Lol, doubt it could be this simple. Let you know and again thanks for your help.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts