TW200 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often or when do you turn your fuel off and let the carb run down. End of a days use, only for storage,ect? Also should you use Sta-Bil or an ethanol treatment with every tank full?

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I turn my petcock off everytime I get off the bike. Its a good insurance policy against a leaking float valve which would result in gasoline in the engine in quantities that its not designed for. Ideally if your carb is in good condition, leaving the petcock on will not hurt anything, but if you have a fuel leak or ??, its an added risk factor to leave it on. I also have a hot water heater (with a pilot) in my garage, so I really avoid gasoline risks in there. Its just a habit thats easy to incorporate into the fireup and shutdown procedures. Tom

·
Registered
78 Posts
I turn it off every time I shut down if the bike will sit overnight or longer and for sure any time the bike is being transported. I agree with the above comment about leaking gasoline in the garage--bad thing that's not worth the risk.

·
Registered
106 Posts
iv made the mistake of leaving the fuel on with a bike in the truck, gas all over the place, and the bike was flooded. lesson learned.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Always turn the fuel off when I get off the bike. Its kind of like a habit for me know. I run it out of gas if I won't be riding for a three or more days.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I turn off the petcock religiously, even when I'm only stopping for a minute.

My TW was a bumper queen - when I bought it used, it was 3 years old and had less than 500 miles.

Needed a new battery and a carb cleaning / rebuild.

Since I wanted the TK up-jet mod and because I was real busy at work and needed the TW up and running ASAP, I took the carb off and dropped it at the local Yam dealer.

Over the next few weeks the bike filled the airbox with gas four times and filled the entire crankcase with gas twice.

Yes, I am that clueless and distracted.

Never had a bike that needed the petcock turned off before.

The second time the crankcase was filled, leaving me stranded, I had turned off the petcock, but didn't get it perfectly at horizontal.

That time was the charm. Every time I dismount the TW, I check the petcock 2 or 3 times.

A few weeks ago, a house burned down a few miles from here and it was traced back to a gas leak from the bike in the garage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts