TW200 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After running out of fuel on what I would consider a moderate example of the riding I would like to do, I decided extra fuel was my next project. I like rotopax, but they are expensive. Cheaper and more immediate solution came to mind. I have this front cyclerack that does me very little good. Tinman's pannier rack got me thinking how the front rack might serve a useful purpose as well. Then my fuel need struck me. I mounted two tool tubes, one to each side of the front cyclerack. After trying many different arrangements, this is what I came up with. Both tubes forward mounted on their sides kind of wedged into the shape of the rack itself. Once I added the all-thread and the insulated electrical clamp to the front and tightened everything down, the tubes were torqued very tightly into their current positions. Finished off with a few stout zip-ties to each tube on some key points. Seems pretty solid. If it jiggles loose I will do it again with thread locker.

IMG_3138.JPG

IMG_3139.JPG

Half done.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Into the tubes went new MSR 30 oz. fuel canisters. Excellent quality product made in the Pacific Northwest. These cans are seemingly made to fit into the tool tubes. Very little wiggle room. I bought a filtered funnel to fill up the canisters and now I figure that I have a reserve reserve half gallon of fuel available when I think the ride might call for it. Another 35-40 miles? Gonna ride test the set-up tomorrow. Overall cheaper than the rotopax.

IMG_3141.jpg IMG_3140.JPG

IMG_3142.jpg

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Total costs.

$12 Tool Tubes
$44 MSR 30 0z. fuel canisters
$17 Hardware store (all-thread, electrical clamps, washers, nuts, etc.)

$73 Total. Less than the cost of one 1 gallon rotopax and a mount.
Plus a couple of hours tinkering with the bike.
And an hour to post all of this stuff.

Maybe it is ingenious, maybe not. I'll let you know. Feel free to share your thoughts. Hopefully now I won't run out of fuel.

IMG_3143.JPG

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yer gonna scare the hell outta people coming your way on the trails. Looks like you got a couple of mortar tubes mounted. Of course, that would be great fun, to shoot some fireworks outta those tool tubes. :tongue9:

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Ya need to glue some 1/2" pvc in the middle of the lids up front, painted black. mock up some levers and sh** at the back end. Find a length of belt ammo at a toy store. Have the ammo coming up out of a box and into a port on the side of each tube.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts