TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Fuel Stablizers, Conditioners and Cleaners

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  RockyTFS 
#1 ·

I did this test because I have had problems with water-ethanol-gas going bad in my boats, bikes, and 5th wheel. I took several fuel stabilizers and conditioners and put the same amount of water in the plastic container and different fuel additives to test what would happen. Once phase separation or condensation occurs you will have water puddle at the bottom of your tank and or carburetor bowl.

From left to right:

#1 Sta-Bal

#2 STP Complete fuel system cleaner

#3 Maxima Fuel storage-stabilizer

#4 Startron

#5 FuelMedic

There technology prevents the formation of this water by creating a chemical reaction that permanently removes the water from the fuel.

#6 Lucas Fuel Conditioner

#7 Briggs & Stratton

#8 Lucas Deep clean fuel system

The color at the very bottom 1/8 inch of each container is just a reflection from the uneven bottom of the container. I could not get a shot without it showing.

What are you running in you engines and what are you using in your fuel when storing your bikes?

Ronnydog

See less See more
#3 ·
Any conclusions, Ronnydog?

I use the marine version of Sta-bil, or Seafoam, or Startron.

All have left a layer of water at the bottom of the tank after 4 to 5 months of storage.

On the motorcycles, I have taken to running the carbs or fuel injection dry after shutting off the fuel supply.

Running the fuel dry prevents the gas turning to goo, but allows the 0-rngs and seals/gaskets to dry out. So o-rings may need to be replaced. Sometimes the newer o-rings will swell up to their original size when re-exposed to fuel.

Usually I fill the metal tanks full to keep the tank from rusting. On the TW with the plastic Clarke tank and the boat with a plastic tank I try to leave it empty.

In the past, I have tried emptying the metal tanks and fogging the interior. This works but is extra effort.

At the beginning of the riding season for me (mid April in NC), I drain the full tanks and put the fuel in my wife's car, a few gallons at a time.

Then I fill up with fresh gas.

Of course you could do like Qwerty does... make your own non-ethanol gas.

jb

#9 ·
Conclusions....well so far I like the Fuel Medic, ck youtube and see for yourself.

They claim the product will reduce carbon, water, emissions, smoke, sludge, rust, algae, varnishes, and Increase power, lubricity, hoursepower, milage, fuel life and injector life, fuel line freeze ups improves atomization of fuel.

32oz treats treats 500 gallons of fuel

Ronnydog

#7 ·
I did not use the Sea Foam because this is a test as i go. I'm trying to but a couple of products per week and at $10.00 each it will take time.

No the water is still at the bottom even after shacking it again and riding around in my truck.

Ronnydog

#6 ·
Well

Try again with an 90% regular gas and 10% water shaken mix then add that to the conditioners.

If you just put water in the conditioners then any organic alcohol, ketone, or even organic acid would be miscible in the water. This IS NOT the same as keeping the gas.ethanol.water solubility from breaking.

The other problem is microbes, jellying and dried varnish stuff.

My successful routine is

Stabil

Seafoam*

squirt of fogging oil

Keep all vented tanks full to the brim

Note: snow blower is running 3 year old gas fine !!

Your engine would also run 1/2 ok if the water was kept as small droplets in suspension so gas would appear cloudy as long as the carb/engine does not gets pure water

* I like seafoam for removing deposits not as gas keeper

#10 ·

I did this test because I have had problems with water-ethanol-gas going bad in my boats, bikes, and 5th wheel. I took several fuel stabilizers and conditioners and put the same amount of water in the plastic container and different fuel additives to test what would happen. Once phase separation or condensation occurs you will have water puddle at the bottom of your tank and or carburetor bowl.

From left to right:

#1 Sta-Bal

#2 STP Complete fuel system cleaner

#3 Maxima Fuel storage-stabilizer

#4 Startron

#5 FuelMedic

There technology prevents the formation of this water by creating a chemical reaction that permanently removes the water from the fuel.

#6 Lucas Fuel Conditioner

#7 Briggs & Stratton

#8 Lucas Deep clean fuel system

The color at the very bottom 1/8 inch of each container is just a reflection from the uneven bottom of the container. I could not get a shot without it showing.

What are you running in you engines and what are you using in your fuel when storing your bikes?

Ronnydog

Experimental science at its best!

The bolded part:

Where do you think the water goes?

How do you think it gets there?

The water can't just disappear. It either is removed from the fuel (which it appears is what all the other additives do), stays suspended in the fuel, or undergoes a chemical change so it isn't water anymore.

#11 ·
Beating this horse a little more

The real test is whether it keeps the 3 component solution together

Fuel, alcohol, water or does the water-alcohol separate and displace

to the bottom of the tank where it does its mischief.

My mixture hopefully

helps the dispersion of alcohol and water

cleans any gunk that might want to accumulate

little rust preventative to keep the metal from corrosion

I appreciate your efforts and your intent and believe you have discovered which one is alcohol, soap, or alkane based.

I are am an ingineer cheminmicals and there is specific amounts of solubility in any system.

Once you have exceeded this amount separation will occur

enjoy

#12 ·
I did this test because I have had problems with water-ethanol-gas going bad in my boats, bikes, and 5th wheel. I took several fuel stabilizers and conditioners and put the same amount of water in the plastic container and different fuel additives to test what would happen.

Ronnydog

Hmmmm, I have a question on your protocol. Did you use any gas in the bottles? It would seem to me that the properties of various additives would depend on their being mixed with gas, either non-ethanol or E10, in the correct proportions, first, before the water was added.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.