TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have to ask question that's bothered me for some time. Every time I fill up with gas I get pxxxed about the price, and the E10 that kills performance (when I can't get to the E0 station). But I also get pxxxed about what looks to me like unused tank capacity. My Tdub, probably like every other stock Tdub, has a metal inner collar in the fuel tank; its a bit larger in diameter than the fuel tank opening, and about three inches down into the tank (you know what I mean). The instructions for those who read them say to only fill with fuel to the bottom edge of the collar, doubtless to allow the tank to maintain a column of air under the fuel tank cap, to better prevent any raw fuel from sloshing out the vent hole in the fuel tank cap.

Why can't I just install a motocross style fuel tank cap with the hole in the center of it and the vent hose sticking up out of the top, and then fill the tank right to the very top of the gas cap rim? I suspect there's as much as a half gallon of unused capacity in the stock tank due to that metal inner collar in the tank, if you do follow the fill instructions.

I'd actually be willing to make the vent hose so long that it would go over my shoulder and down my back to the absolute rear of the bike. That way any light vapors that actually made it up and over my shoulder would safely exit the scene in the dust trail behind Tdub. After the first rest stop, when the fuel in the very top of the tank has burned off and gets below the level of the metal collar, I could coil up the vent hose and stick it in the space between the bars and the speedometer.

In fact, couldn't I just use a "two ball tank valve" like here, and (since that vent hose would just suck air) vent the hose back through the bike frame to the swingarm, like the carb vent line?

Opinions requested.

- - - Happy Trails, Jim

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I fill it all the way up. The stock cap vents fine and until I get some overflow, I will continue to do so.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I fill it all the way up. The stock cap vents fine and until I get some overflow, I will continue to do so.

Agreed I do the same to get the most use out of our little tank. Occasionally I will smell a little gas but the vent does a good job from keeping the gas from sloshing out.

·
Registered
118 Posts
x4 I usually fill mine to the rim of the tank opening with me pushing the bike into the upright position. Haven't had any problems yet even in 105 degree heat.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I fill mine up to very top with me sitting on seat and bike not on kickstand. I don't even get off bike to fill up. just get close to pump and use credit card. I always get every last drop I can in it before I park it in my garage after I ride it since its a metal tank and don't want it to rust and nice to have it fueled and ready to roll for my next adventure. also clean and lube chain when I get home.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I used a SHARP punch and poked a hole in that guard on my '97, that lets the air out and now I can fill it to the brim.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Guard? Are you talking a bout the circular "collar"? What good would a hole punch do?

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
How much more gas does that give you? Is it really half a gallon?
I don't think it's a half gallon, but it's still more gas. The guard, or collar extends down in the tank a couple of inches, you can fill the collar up but it traps an air pocket in the tank, poking a hole lets that air space fill up with gas.

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
On the old forum someone made a small hole in the collar to allow the air to escape and get more gas in and he recommended doing it.

It has been on my "to do list" for a long time and the next time I have the tank off and completely empty I will. I guesstimate it should add about 10 to 15 miles before switching to reserve.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The only tool sharp and strong enough that i had on hand was a blade/spade style wood hole saw

The tip left a jagged hole and the first couple attempts slipped a touch and scored the metal leaving burrs

Am i relatively safe with the factory fuel screen or should i get a right angle fuel filter?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts