TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone who has a California model xt225 tank with the rollover valve and the canister please explain the function of those components? Is the fuel cap different from 49 state models, does it vent, is the 49 state cap the same, will it fit?? Can you plug off that bung where the rollover valve is?

Thanks!

I got this and want to use it on dubby..

IMG_5858.PNG I

IMG_5860.PNG

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, I figured out how it works. I'm just going to put a filter on the hose to the tip over valve.

·
Registered
172 Posts
The canister captures fuel vapors (volatile organic compounds (VOC)). VOCs react with NOx (burnt air mostly from internal combustion engines) to form photochemical smog. Fuel systems with fuel evaporative systems use fuel caps that allow fresh air into the fuel tank as the fuel level drops from engine operation, but prevents fuel vapors from escaping as fuel evaporates and builds pressure in the fuel tank (i.e., when the M/C is parked in the sun on a warm day). The fuel vapor is forced to flow from the tank through a vapor line to the canister which if filled with charcoal. The charcoal adsorbs the fuel and holds it until the next time the M/C is driven (rode?). While being operated, the fuel vapors are purged from the canister into the engine to contribute to the power output of the engine. After the canister is purged, the process repeats itself. I'm not sure if roll-over valves are unique to fuel evap systems, but they are what the say they are.

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a 49 state bike, no canister on it and a new one is big $$$$ so filter it is. I'll keep and eye for a canister.

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks, it's on the way to me now. :)

There's a real nice Fuel Tank on eBay right now $100.00 or best offer. Looks like 2005! Someone should jump on it.

·
Registered
5,946 Posts
I have a 49 state bike, no canister on it and a new one is big $$$$ so filter it is. I'll keep and eye for a canister.
I've got a couple of canisters if you want one, but I am not sure why you would. Your California tank will work fine without it and you would have to find someplace to mount it since your 49 state frame does not have the mounts for it.

·
Registered
20,167 Posts
No need for the evaporative canistermon a 49 state bike with a California tank.
Gas caps should be interchangeable.
My California caps seem to vent since they weep fuel if bike is tipped over.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Just dead plug the extra outlet under the Cal. tank and mount it up. It serves no purpose on 49 state bikes that do not have the canister or the additional port on the carb boot.

GaryL

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone. I had heard that some Yamaha tanks have different size (larger) fuel tank caps that are totally sealed, non-venting for California models. That's what I was worried about. I looked up the cap part numbers for this model after posting last night and it looks like they are the same so they must vent enough.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Jersey Jeeper, The different size fuel cap issue is just a major shift (I believe after 2002). Old TW tanks took a big cap and post 2002 or so, all TW tanks took a much smaller one. I did not plug the extra vent orifice for a CA tank, but just ran a tube from it away from the engine in case something flammable ever came out and pushed a bit of cotton in to keep dust from entering. Ideally if you wanted to be elegant, you could put a fuel filter (smaller the better) on the end of the tube.
One is tempted to guess that the CA fuel caps should not be vented so that they would force gas fumes into the canister, whereas the other noncanister fuel caps would have to breath, but may things work differently. Or maybe CA fuel caps leak because they don't work right after a few years. Go figure. Enjoy the tank.

Here's a thread that shows the difference in fuel cap sizes. I had and dispersed a bunch of these vintage caps, but my supply has long since evaporated so anyone who wants to bug their Yamabobber dealer may find one in the back room. http://tw200forum.com/forum/tw200-classifieds/3451-large-gas-cap-tank-white-front-fender-needed.html

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Peruano.

I now have a new 350 tank and this tank. I'm going to try both, not sure which one I will like better..?

I do like your 350 tank setup. Was there anything specific that made yo go that way?

Also, it's funny you mention it. I ordered a hummer 1/4" line fuel tank air vent filter of eBay. It's military, looks well made and is small.

Jersey Jeeper, The different size fuel cap issue is just a major shift (I believe after 2002). Old TW tanks took a big cap and post 2002 or so, all TW tanks took a much smaller one. I did not plug the extra vent orifice for a CA tank, but just ran a tube from it away from the engine in case something flammable ever came out and pushed a bit of cotton in to keep dust from entering. Ideally if you wanted to be elegant, you could put a fuel filter (smaller the better) on the end of the tube.
One is tempted to guess that the CA fuel caps should not be vented so that they would force gas fumes into the canister, whereas the other noncanister fuel caps would have to breath, but may things work differently. Or maybe CA fuel caps leak because they don't work right after a few years. Go figure. Enjoy the tank.

Here's a thread that shows the difference in fuel cap sizes. I had and dispersed a bunch of these vintage caps, but my supply has long since evaporated so anyone who wants to bug their Yamabobber dealer may find one in the back room. http://tw200forum.com/forum/tw200-classifieds/3451-large-gas-cap-tank-white-front-fender-needed.html

·
Registered
7,094 Posts
I took a 10 mm bolt, shortened it, put an o-ring on it, and then screwed it into the gas tank. I think it was 10mm......

All of my gas caps seemed to leak air through the key hole. If they didn't I would have taken them apart and figured out a way to make them leak, errr........I mean vent.

P2041264.JPG P2041263.JPG

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
What made me go that way? It was bigger capacity; and it was available on fleabay when I was originally shopping. Once I had an xt350 tank it was easy to stay with the same when I found a like new version and pass the older one on to others in the tw community. I have not needed 3.4 gal very often, but its a nice backup in case I do. Enjoy the bounty of having two tank alternatives, either which will be great.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
XT225 tanks are 2.32 gallons vs. the tdub's 1.85 gallons. A great mod for those wanting a little more fuel capacity and a metal tank without stepping up to larger plastic Clark tanks. I have a XT225 tank because the Clark tanks are not DOT rated, and therefore are not legal for on road use in my home state of Washington. Other states are much more lenient.

Same keyed TW gas cap fits too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts