TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, does anyone know if there are part numbers for a full complete engine to be purchased should it be required , if the cost of repairing out cost a replacement engine ?
If this is not the case has anyone asked at a dealer in USA if they can be purchased from factory

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Mr. Raffles...love the avatar!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is nothing wrong with mine at moment, but I thought if they were not to expensive if/when the original engine has to come out for repair/ overhaul you can slip another unit in and ride bike whilst repairing old unit , it was just something that I had been wondering about as you can do this with car engines ( reconditioned)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good question, I know Japanese parts are not cheap , so would not be surprised if the new unit was £1000 plus ( great British pounds ) plus vat at 20% and then you would poss have shipping on top of that , unless that was absorbed if a uk Yamaha dealer would order it, who would require part no .
The issue I have is that there are not a lot of 200cc models here in uk as they were not an official import , the inconveniences of buying a partially spent motor to rebuild back up using new/ used parts could out-way cost of a new motor by the time you have shipping on from USA and parts bought, you guys are lucky as you have plentiful supplies out there so it’s more viable for you to buy poss a full bike or blown motor and do it that way

·
Registered
842 Posts
This engine is like a tinker toy compared to many - easy to work on and repair/replace parts. The parts are available and not that expensive. Plan on working on this puppy.......If necessary!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I went in to my main Yamaha dealer to order some parts today , and whilst I was there I asked why bike manufacturers did not supply full/ reconditioned engines the same as car trade ? His reply was because there is a massive mark up rebuilding an engine from parts as opposed to new unit !
This reply did not surprise me .
The guy in shop said that Yamaha would supply full engines to dealers at a reduced cost if they were for racing purposes and usually the R1 ( 1000cc) and R6 ( 600cc) , i assume there are implications involved for that to happen , sponsors etc , but all other models were a build up job using spare parts .
He did say that we did fully rebuild a R1(1000cc) cross plane crank engine that had gone wrong and that cost £10k ( gbp ) great British pounds, bearing in mind that at the time a full R1 bike cost approx £12k , same model , so you can imagine how much it would be to fully rebuild a bike from spare parts , anyway I thought I would post in case someone wants to work out how much a tw200 would cost in spare parts if they feel inclined

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Bikes are made so serviceable that a cylinder, piston, rings etc is really quick and easy to rebuild. I don't think the high demand for new is out there and it would probably be close to the cost of a new bike.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
What is the difference between a gbp (Great British Pound) and a "regular" bp (British Pound)?

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Bikes are made so serviceable that a cylinder, piston, rings etc is really quick and easy to rebuild. I don't think the high demand for new is out there and it would probably be close to the cost of a new bike.
Yes.

And given proper care & dry storage, a TW could well never require any "hard parts" replacement, save chains, sprockets & spark plugs.
Depending of course, how it is used.
Don't over-rev it and especially don't lug it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What is the difference between a gbp (Great British Pound) and a "regular" bp (British Pound)?
�� well its just a terminology used to describe monetary value used in the British isles of England , at the moment we can also use euros if we want , until brexit happens ������������ if it ever does

1 - 17 of 17 Posts