TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Full width of a parked TW? (needs to fit in the garage)

2K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  Ski Pro 3 
#1 ·
I don't have one yet, but I would like to find out if it would fit in my garage for the winter.

Could someone measure the full width, from farthest out point of the tires, across to the end of the opposite handlebar?

I know Yamaha states a 32 inch width, but that isn't the case when it's parked.

Reactions: littletommy
#2 ·
To get it in / out you will need the clear the handlebars, under 32"
When you turn the handlebars, as to lock the forks, that is close to the same.

#3 ·
Thank you for your answer. My concern is not getting it into/ out of the garage. It is how much the motorcycle leans when on the kickstand. It will have to park parallel to a car and I am worried it would lean too far into the car to allow the car door to open.

#4 ·
Thank you for your answer. My concern is not getting it into/ out of the garage. It is how much the motorcycle leans when on the kickstand. It will have to park parallel to a car and I am worried it would lean too far into the car to allow the car door to open.
Lean it against the wall opposite the car. Or, place a small piece of wood, say 2x4, under the kickstand, standing the TW more upright. I do this when I'm working on it sometimes. Or maybe make a homemade wheel chock for the front wheel thus holding up the entire TW upright.

I did something like this on my homemade motorcycle workbench. Mine is rather crude but it works and you can take the idea and make something a little better from it. In this picture my TW is being held upright and in place entirely by this front tire chock.

#6 ·
I really like the vertical stanchion approach. Clever and simple. And takes care of my problem. Thank you!

#7 ·
If the garage is that narrow and tight you could use the vertical as shown by Admiral and also remove the bars for the winter and just move them over for storage. This might give you an additional 8-10 inches of clearance. I am not sure how much cable free play there is but I am pretty sure you could remove the 4 cap screws and twist the bars with everything still attached to get you some additional clearance. I did it in my shed where I had 2 bikes stuffed in along side of my RZR.

GaryL

#9 ·
There’s enough cable to remove the bars with out disconnecting anything. Mine are currently zip tied to the frame pending new steering bearings and the new triple tree and forks getting installed.

#11 ·
I like "you could sell your car!" How about: swap for a Mini or Smart Car? ;)

But over here on the forum there are ppl talking about their TWs in the backs of pickups, [ I can't include links yet, still too new. Search for "F150" ], if that helps.

And, I bet you've thought of some of these already but:

Have a friend park their similar size motorcycle in your garage. (No Harleys.)
Find a like bike on craigslist in your town, if you haven't found your tee-dub yet, and take it for a test ride that includes parking it in your garage.
Take a new comparable motorcycle from the dealer on a test ride . . . to your garage.
Take a new TW from the dealer on a test ride . . . to your garage. And then try to take it back, real hard.
See if anyone here on the forum lives anywhere close to you, and see if they'll ride over to you. . . . (Hint: beer, favors, skilled crafts trade.)

Your situation is legit. Before I brought mine home, I was betting I could ride up the (steep) driveway, kill the engine when I got into the garage, then do a multi-point turn to get the machine pointed the right way back down the (steep) driveway, so the next time I'm heading out I just roll forward and go. I won the bet. (Had to buy myself a beer.)

Best of luck.

--Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.