TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i wanna see who has gone the longest the fastest? ive taken my little beast on the highway before (45 tooth sprocket) and it was kinda pushing it. but furthest ive ridden was from houston to galveston lol about 25 min on the highway post pics too! :cool::D:p;):):rolleyes::smiley::female:

·
Registered
123 Posts
There are some guys that have ridden really far. 1000 miles or more. I saw a YouTube video with a guy from Singapore or Japan who rode a tw from New York to Texas. I've made the trip from Austin to Seguin. Around 60 miles one way. Half was freeway, but I stayed on the feeder. Speed limit is 70-75 in Texas. Sometimes more. 85 on the toll roads. I'm not touching that.

I live in the country now, I ride with 15/45 gearing, and still usually cruise around at 45-50. I speed up a little to avoid sketchy spots, but that's where she seems happiest. I'm a little guy, 135 lbs. so I don't need to reel her up to move my weight around.

When I get around 60 mph, the motor smooths out, but she's really spinning. Around 6500 rpms according to gearing commander. Some guys say, "that's nothing! Twist that throttle!" But this is my first motorcycle and my only transportation, so I try to be nice to her. Could be fine, but I'm still learning.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are some guys that have ridden really far. 1000 miles or more. I saw a YouTube video with a guy from Singapore or Japan who rode a tw from New York to Texas. I've made the trip from Austin to Seguin. Around 60 miles one way. Half was freeway, but I stayed on the feeder. Speed limit is 70-75 in Texas. Sometimes more. 85 on the toll roads. I'm not touching that.

I live in the country now, I ride with 15/45 gearing, and still usually cruise around at 45-50. I speed up a little to avoid sketchy spots, but that's where she seems happiest. I'm a little guy, 135 lbs. so I don't need to reel her up to move my weight around.

When I get around 60 mph, the motor smooths out, but she's really spinning. Around 6500 rpms according to gearing commander. Some guys say, "that's nothing! Twist that throttle!" But this is my first motorcycle and my only transportation, so I try to be nice to her. Could be fine, but I'm still learning.
Man , I agree, I have 45 tooth rear and stock front with some tasteful modification , and mine winds out on the highway

·
Registered
583 Posts

·
Registered
6,355 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
The most I have ridden my TW200 in one direction is only 64 miles and I had to take a break. 28 miles was highway. The seat just hurt enough to limit riding farther. Which had a benefit. I found this forum looking for suggestions on seat replacement ideas.

I have manage to ride my old BMW1200RT from Newport News VA to Quincy Massachusetts in one day through all those states and traffic. So in saying that, the people that do long trips on a TW200 my hats off to them. If they are doing long trips on a stock seat they have already had their children or practicing alternative Birth Control.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
About 5 miles. lol I once rode a 22 year old Moto Guzzi from Wichita KS to Phoenix AZ and back. With a good seat, and lots of time to spare, I think the mighty TW would be fun on looooong back road/trail trips.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I rode on the interstate once. I won't ever try that again. I'll stick to back roads if I have to travel. I had the ttr on the highway several times because the closest gas station was closed on Sunday.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Pardon the ignorance: remind me what is the standard front/rear tooth count ?

·
Registered
319 Posts
This is why I enjoy this forum so much. We have a huge group of friendly folks who share really neat stuff.

I've owned four TW's so far. My first was all by accident back in 2010. My local Yamaha shop had it stuffed in the back along with the used
bikes and I thought that it was used but it was beginning of year inventory that hadn't was being treated like it was end of year.
I was told "you wouldn't want that bike, it's an agricultural bike, sell them to farmers to ride along side their fields". I thought, that's what and ATV is for
not a bike.
I traded a brand new 2009 Kawasaki ER6N sport bike in on a 2010 Yamaha TW200 and was so glade I made that mistake. LOL
I found a new love in that bike.
So, I loaded it onto my pick up truck along with my other highway bikes in my trailer and took it to the Tail of the Dragon.
That bike was ridden on the Tail of the Dragon, The Cherohalla, the Gravel version of the Cherohalla and all of the other twisties around Deal's Gap in 2010.
I think one long trip must have been say around 100 miles on the bike.
I would tell people that it forgets which gas station it filled up at last due to the high fuel economy. LOL

So, how long would I ride this bike? For a full day of riding and perhaps around 350-400 miles.

How far have I ridden in a day of riding? Perhaps only 100 miles or so. But that's just due to the fact I don't ride this bike
all the time and save it for my 45 mile per hour work out in the farm fields and alongside the rivers in East Central Illinos
for relaxing rides and just putting around.

I'd take it on the Dragon again or any of the North Carolina roads but I'd not ride it from here to there just to do it, I'd trailer or put it into my truck bed.

I like the over the road touring less and less and prefer the short ride outs and over nighters. I guess I'm getting pretty picky.

If this was your only bike and you had to ride 80% on the highway or should I say two lane roads and no interstates of course then I'd change
the sprockets to meet that need and just ride it as far as you want but understand that it's basically a good 55 mph bike and not above that.

For all around ride to the mild trails and hills and then ride it home, this bike is very good for that.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts