TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about replacing the CB550 with a FZ-07. Anyone have one or any experience with the model?

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I've heard nothing, good, bad, or indifferent but that's a nice looking bike! How bad could it be?... Gota love a nice twin!

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, I don't care much for twins as their 180* firing order makes vibes that put my hands to sleep. The FZ-07 has a 270* firing order similar to a single pin 90* V-twin in cadence, and the possibility I can ride it is intriguing.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Interesting... must be a takeoff of their cross-plain engines. I'll have to look it up one of these days.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, Yamaha refers to the concept as "cross-plane", but all it really means is the pistons do not go up and down together. The result should be a single longer power stroke with a longer period of rotation due to inertia instead of two quick power strokes and two short periods of rotation due to inertia, which is exactly what makes the XR750 Harley the winningest long dirt track engine ever. The nature of its relatively long and gentle power stroke is less likely to spin the tire than other engine configurations, and the longer period of rotation when the engine is not making power allows the tire to hook up better between power strokes. I expect the FZ-07 engine will do the same, which should provide an excellent power source for a larger adventure touring bike. Also, I like the exhaust configuration because it won't interfere with luggage, though the entire seat and rear subframe will have to be trashed and replaced with something more to my liking.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I've been scratching my head ever since Yamaha introduced the FZ-07.

For about $1000 more you can get the FZ-09. Only 17 lbs more wet weight, scads more power, and the triple is bound to be smoother than the twin.

Why crowd that segment of their lineup? What am I missing? And why, WHY couldn't Yamaha make these two bikes as good looking as the piggy FZ-08 they replaced?

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I have a trump america with the 270 crank............. Works great. Yammie uses it in there new big bore off road bike.. OMM.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I like the FZ-07 but I like the FZ-09 a lot more. Both are good but the FZ-07 was physically small for me at just shy of 6 feet. The FZ-09 feels better in this regard. It does have more go too. A lot more actually.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I like the FZ-07 but I like the FZ-09 a lot more. Both are good but the FZ-07 was physically small for me at just shy of 6 feet. The FZ-09 feels better in this regard. It does have more go too. A lot more actually.
I'm just shy of 6 feet but I'm used to small bikes. I'll be sure to check out the 09, too, but I really don't need more than 75 horsepower or 50 lbs/ft of torque.

Did my auto-correct change Qwerty to a word that doesn't exist or is my brain programmed to put a U after Q..... not sure.
Autocorrect does weird stuff. Brains do weird stuff. It's all good.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
If one cares to read up there is a lot of info on the 270 cross plain engine format. I believe Yamaha went in this direction to improve the rider control of power delivery on their race bikes. My Super Tenere has a 1200cc two cylinder cross plain engine developing a little under 100 hp.

There is rumor out there that Yamaha will be bringing out the 700 engine in an ADV format for 2015

·
Registered
814 Posts
"Thinking about replacing the CB550......" Please consider contributing the 550 to the cause. Let's hear more about the CB with pictures.:rolleyes:

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bored, stroked, ported, polished, oversize valves, mild cam, CB750 jugs, CB650 crank, electronic ignition, Microsquirt EFI, oil cooler with thermostat, Barnett clutch and springs, 5.10-16 rear, Progressive shocks and forks, real shock oil, period mini case guards, touring seat with gel replacing some foam, rear rack with sissy bar that slides forward when riding solo to add luggage space, cheapo offbrand JCWhitney hard bags from way back when, gel grips, H4 conversion headlight with HID bi-xenon, early CB500 switches so headlight is not turned on until engine is running, rest of bulbs replaced in stock lamps with LEDs, AGM battery. Still wears the stock 4-pipe exhaust. Looks like any other CB550 from way back win. Cameras and I don't get along so I stopped wasting money on them. More power than most SOHC CB750s and a lot lighter, so it is fun to embarrass them.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I'm just shy of 6 feet but I'm used to small bikes. I'll be sure to check out the 09, too, but I really don't need more than 75 horsepower or 50 lbs/ft of torque.

Autocorrect does weird stuff. Brains do weird stuff. It's all good.
Yeah you just have to sit on them and ride them.

Another benefit of the FZ-09 is the very comfy upright position. The bad is the seat is not super comfy and needs a bit of a contour to keep your butt from going backward. The first time I really got on the gas with the FZ-09 I was unprepared for the willingness to go and I could not even shift into second without letting off the gas. The really flat seat did not help. It is not a bad problem to have.

I have a smaller coworker who liked the Fz-07 a lot. He is about 5'8" and it fits him well. Same goes for the good looking Yamaha bolt. Cool looking bike but I am just to tall for it.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I saw my buddy's FZ-07 in person today. I think it looks better in person than in pictures. He said he would let me ride it if he sees me ride my TW

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Cameras and I don't get along so I stopped wasting money on them. More power than most SOHC CB750s and a lot lighter, so it is fun to embarrass them.
you know the deal qwerty... no picture... it didn't happen...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts