TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 312 Posts

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after relocating my game camera in a new location closer to the ground I found what has been cleaning up all the bait I put out hoping to film more dramatic wildlife than just deer and trespassers.
First I put out kitchen scraps like fruit peels: WGI_0025.JPG

Then something shows up investigating the interesting smells: WGI_0026.JPG

Whatda ya know, it's Jack, and he wants more! WGI_0028.JPG

The jack rabbits are new this year and have been busy sawing down Mrs.Fred's prize iris collection at ground level in search of moist nutrition.

·
Registered
13,420 Posts
Thought it was a picture of my dog Georgie at first. Then I thought, why would Georgie be in N.Y.? Then I enlarged the photo, put my glasses back on and see it's not quite the nice puppy dog I first thought! Oops!:p

Do you think the other 9,000 photos are the bad breath of Yogi?:D

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I checked camera and repositioned it's aim higher so I would illuminate and film more than just a deer hoof or two. I think Sasquatch's whiskered pussy cat was just a jackrabbit standing on a big rock in front of camera.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
I checked camera and repositioned it's aim higher so I would illuminate and film more than just a deer hoof or two. I think Sasquatch's whiskered pussy cat was just a jackrabbit standing on a big rock in front of camera.
Just a friendly reminder Fred that for best results with ANY game camera you need to use a scent killer. Any human scent left on the camera will bring the wild animals in too close trying to determine the level of danger present. My guide to evaluating just how good my scent elimination routine is working is to count the days/hours between placing the camera and when the first deer picture is taken. I then try to evaluate weather or not the animal takes notice of the camera and how close it is. finally I take note of how long the deer hang around after spotting/smelling the camera.

Many times I will get a shot of something too close to the flash like yours, however if after a minute or two I get more pictures of animals I know my cameras passed the smell test. I highly recommend these wipes!

Dead Down Wind Field Wipes | DICK'S Sporting Goods

Tom

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Gee Tom, and I thought maybe I should be rubbing bacon or something instead on the camera to attract critters like this fox::p WGI_0009.JPG

By the way foxes are not as smart as folk think. I once caught the same fox two nights running in a live trap. Maybe the fox wasn't so dumb after all since he got two free meals and was released unharmed twice.

·
Registered
13,420 Posts
Very cool Fred. We have fox around here all the time. Few years back Georgie was even playing with one. We usually see them the most when they are having their baby foxes. It's so funny to see 4-5 heads sticking up out of an old badger hole.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Take care on them Jackrabbits. They can get quite pestivoriuos as they reproduce like well rabbits and harder to reduce populations
than bush rabbits. You need more coyotes, lions and predatory birds long term short term protect your plants with chicken wire and or electric fence (no kidding!) Big wabbits eat lots. I once had moderate success protecting some roses by spraying hot sauce on them in the evening took out aphids too. Have you considered putting out owl boxes? I had a friend put a camera in one once. Great fun watching owl rearing.

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nothing exciting last 3 days, guess a reported 4.9 inches of rain kept most critters hunkered down in nearby subdivision's landscaping.
Did catch the south end of a north bound Mule deer.
WGI_0044.JPG

And some sort of orange Kioti: WGI_0041.JPG

1 - 20 of 312 Posts