TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Garden is planted. Is only a about 20X30 or so but took 1hr55min to get in. I am thinking of extending the highbar from 6ft to 8 so the deer won't wreak havoc in it. Venison does taste good though doesn't it.

I did take caution tape around the top to flop in the breeze, but I am sure they won't take the hint.

Now if those showers will pick back up for a soaking things will be on the way.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
I'm already in full bloom with Strawberries... getting about a dozen a day or more already now... It's going to be a good year for strawberries... My early start paid off this year. :D

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
What else ya' growin' up in there, Tiny Tom?
I'm already in full bloom with Strawberries... getting about a dozen a day or more already now... It's going to be a good year for strawberries... My early start paid off this year. :D

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
What else ya' growin' up in there, Tiny Tom?
We have an "Early Girl" tomato plant; a "Yellow Cherry" tomato plant and a "Sweet 100" cherry tomato plant. :)

And lots and lots and lots of strawberries... :p

*highly recommend the "sweet 100's" if you've never tried one... :D

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
My Wife's Garden is Huge and we are in full swing... I don't have time to list it all but as I have to go to that four letter place (WORK!) Be well all.
Careful out there Gabe; have a good day brother... ;)

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
13 tomato plants, two rows of peas, cucumbers, squash, pumpkin, carrots, flowers,cabbage, just a mish mosh of things to watch grow. Will be our first garden together since we were teenagers living at home. My sister is great to have here with me. She gets excited to see the tomatoes coming on.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
We have an "Early Girl" tomato plant; a "Yellow Cherry" tomato plant and a "Sweet 100" cherry tomato plant. :)

And lots and lots and lots of strawberries... :p

*highly recommend the "sweet 100's" if you've never tried one... :D
The sweet 100's are awesome, I plant those every year. I also like the early girls a lot. I also plant better boy beefsteak tomatoes and Roma's as well.
I have 28 plants going in this year as well as peppers, acorn, butternut and green and yellow squash, bush blue lake green beans, Kentucky wonder green beans, peas, kale and some basil and parsley.

I do a lot of tomatoes and we make purée out of them for spaghetti sauce and chili and the like.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Wife and I are giving up on it. We tried but we have brown thumbs. Hell, even the dandelion seedlings and crab grass we bought died.
:laughing4::laughing4::laughing4:

Reactions: jtomelliott49

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
35x180 here.... easy because we farm, three passes with the small ripper, two with the disc, harrow then corrigate.... water with gated pipe and sprinkler from our Hayfield mainline....having equipment makes it easier...
Although I do envy your equipment, I believe when it is done the way you are doing it it's considered farming instead of gardening!:rolleyes:

Tom

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
35x180 here.... easy because we farm, three passes with the small ripper, two with the disc, harrow then corrigate.... water with gated pipe and sprinkler from our Hayfield mainline....having equipment makes it easier...
Equipment does help. I use a 7ft tiller behing my tractor to churn it deep. Is the first year in virgin ground. Will see how it goes. I know I will need some lime and other fertilizers, will do as needed. Just fun to put in some seed and eat some fresh produce right from the vine.

I have a 50hp JD and a 53 Harry Ferguson I use just for mowing.

With the JD I put a set of grapples on the loader for log handling and such, have a chipper, tiller, winches on both rear and loader, rippers and the tiller for use when needed and the woodsplitter. The splitter is self contained, but nice to have the tractor hooked up for stability.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
The crop that grows best in my garden is Rocks!:mad: I till it every spring and every fall with a Troybilt Horse tiller and rocks that were not there last fall grew over the winter, WTF? I think because I do till it this allows the frost to push them up. Garden is 30 X 50 and I am growing sweet corn, beets, sugar snap peas, lettuce and of course my asparagus bed. Will probably add some green onions and radish after a while. No luck here with Tomato plants because they get some sort of rot every year I try.

I learned a trick and only grow the garden every other year. On the off years I cover the entire garden with large roadside billboard vinyls and allow the sun to burn out any weed seeds that get into it. The following year I uncover it and grow pretty much weed free for most of the season.

Happy growing!

GaryL

1 - 20 of 36 Posts