TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings TW Lovers,

For those of you with rear racks, I would appreciate suggestions for brands and mounting tips for carrying 1 or 2 gallons or gas, and maybe water. I like the sleek look and seemingly secure mounting of Rotopax, but I'm not sure exactly how they would mount; also, they seem a bit pricey moovinub.jpg
Here is the rack on my AG. I'm also curious about what riders like to use to secure items to racks. I'll likely be carrying a tent, sleeping bag, extra clothes, and some food and water. As always, suggestions from experienced adventure riders is greatly appreciated.

By the way, it's 22C here in Ulaanbaatar today! Tough day to be at work :(

Ride safely,

MP

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Hands down Rotopax. Here is my nephews http://tw200forum.com/forum/attachments/performance-customization/3556d1392663738-98-tw-simple-plate-mount-tool-tube-rotopax-stock-yamaha-rack-98-plate-rotopax.jpg

Can't seem to find a picture of mine mounted without a plate straight to the tube rack. Fuel Cans : Gas Pack : Gasoline Containers : RotopaX.com

Rotopax mounting is billet aluminum, unlike the Kolpin which is plastic. However the Kolpin is less expensive. I have seen Kolpin mounts fail on quads.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
As for lashing, I love the Rok Straps. Unfortunately I left one dangle in Texas coming back from the shower house and the sprocket ate it. Replacement will be ordered soon. ROK Straps - The Ultimate Stretch Strap - HOME

However, lashing with good low-stretch rope is very effective, just not as quick. The effectiveness however is dependent on the knotting system used. Master the trucker's hitch, it comes by it's name honestly and provides two to one leverage.

·
Registered
19,580 Posts
I am frequently amazed that so many do not know nor use basic knot skills. Thanks for the refresher video, Borneo. ROK straps look awesome but you still need to secure tag end.
Pete, you might notice some members sometimes use a bit of elastic net to help corral adventure gear in addition to use of straps , bungies, and/or rope on their racks. If not available then any other locally sourced simple netting might help. The netting also allows you to casually tuck a cap, jacket , water bottle, etc onto load for easy access, or help secure a rain covering from flapping in breeze.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I have had good luck with bungee cord. They have survived a week in Colorado and a week around Moab. I always have a few extras on the bike in case.

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
It is nice and a good little size. I bought the one that procycle has on their website. It was the TCI one for about 125 bucks. Once mounted though, after front and rear suspension work, it was too high to comfortably get my leg over, so I took it off. They have another one now on the site for about 40 bucks that I'm thinking seriously about that sits about as flat and low as you can get. I never went with the cyclerack because it looked too much to get my leg over.

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
Check out how low the 40 buck one is.
[h=4]Nomadic Racks Rear Rack[/h]

Qty:
$39.00
Add To Order Weighs just 2 pounds for a full 9" x 11" storage area. Fully welded 16 ga. mild steel tubing frame with waterjet cut center flat panel, then powder-coated black textured finish. Rack has a rigid 3 point mounting system. All hardware and detailed instructions included.

Yamaha TW200 Parts and Performance - ProCycle

If you haven't looked at the procycle site for a while, you should. Lots of new stuff for our TWs.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Wow, they have added a bunch of new stuff since I was over there. I personally learned my lesson on those racks that mount solely on the sub frame though. Weasel bent his sub frame but good. That was the one feature of the Manracks that decided me. It has a mount under the seat to the main frame.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I guess I'll need the mounting plate, mount, and can; all sold separately :confused:
All together, it looks like the set-up will cost over $120 from Amazon, plus $5 a pound and 2-3 weeks for shipping (and I don't see how to choose the blue can I want) That price seems a bit excessive for what it is, to me anyway. I guess I'll have a look around at local markets and gear shops to see if I can find a more reasonably-priced, safe and effective way to carry gas. The stock rack is quite good. Perhaps those Rok straps and a plastic can will work.
I'll likely head over to the Canon shop this week to buy a PowerShot. Weather permitting, I'll get out of the city and have some pics to post soon. Spring is crazy here! Today has a high of 23C and tomorrow's forecast calls for a low of -2C with a 35% chance of snow. I guess Old Man Winter aint quite done with Mongolia.

Old White Truck - I could always find out what it would take to get an AG200 to you ;) Before I found mine here, I was looking into shipping a Tdub from the States.

Take it as it comes folks,

MP

·
Registered
6,367 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
I really wasn't going to put anything on it besides an empty backpack in case I needed it.

Wow, they have added a bunch of new stuff since I was over there. I personally learned my lesson on those racks that mount solely on the sub frame though. Weasel bent his sub frame but good. That was the one feature of the Manracks that decided me. It has a mount under the seat to the main frame.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts