TW200 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My gas cap has been driving me nuts lately. The metal covering part of the key cylinder on my gas cap rattles at certain RPMs. I have tried to spray some white lithium grease in there to try and quite it, but no dice. The only way I can get it to stop is to put my finger on it while I'm riding. I don't want to replace the cap as it is keyed the same as my ignition and helmet lock. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I've never torn into one, but the tiny gate that closes the key slot when there is no key present must be held there by a spring. I have a derelict bike that has the ignition with that flapper hanging like a limp biscuit so it happens. One alternative is to replace your cap not with another locking cap, but a cap that has no lock to require an additional key. I run an older Yamaha cap (complete with tuning forks) that work great for me. Do you have the large cap (pre 2003) or small cap (post 2002). I've posted photos of these caps in previous message which a search should turn up. I'm betting a lock smith will charge to do anything for you and its microsurgery for you or me to even attempt. Cheers, Tom

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the smaller cap as I have an '08. I was trying not to go to a non locking cap. As for the "flap" inside the cylinder, it works fine. The metal plate that covers the cylinder is what is rattling on mine. It does not affect the function of the cap or cylinder, it is just an annoyance. I think it is a cosmetic piece, so maybe I can take it off somehow?

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
You might try pushing a bit of fine-grained styrofoam between the two pieces that rattle. If that works, and the part isn't a moving part, follow up with a bit of caulk or silicon sealer.

You might try a very gentle tap with a hammer to wedge the rattling pieces together.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts