TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
People have started crying about gas prices being speculated to rise to $5.00 soon. Then these same people get in their full size, extended cab trucks and drive away. I wonder if they know that keeping all that junk in the bed of their truck day in and day out is killing their already bad gas mileage.

Gas prices have always made a difference. Not just when they hit a new high or a seasonal peak.

I ride my TW to work (about 5500 miles a year). I get about 60 miles to the gallon doing so. While my car gets about 13 miles to the gallon (5.2 liter V8).

Let's say gas is $3.00 a gallon and do some math.

(5,500 / 60) * $3.00 = $275

(5,500 / 13) * $3.00 = $1269

Looks like by riding the TW I save $994 (on gas alone) a year while also having fun * 2.

Same story on insurance, but that's another topic.

·
Registered
240 Posts
That's solid thinking! But there's more to it. I have a 2008 Toyota Tacoma standard cab 4 x 4 with a 5 speed. Numbers I found suggest the overall expense of driving this truck is nearly $1.00 per mile. For the last two years, I've been commuting on a Yamaha C3 scooter which cost about $2000 new OTD and easily tops 110 mpg. The math is pretty compelling; not only do I have great fun on my C3, I've saved a bunch of real dollars. My 2010 TW ($3300 OTD...sorry; I can't help but brag a little!) I may not get quite the mileage with this that I got on my C3 but I expect the fun quotient to rise. And in this world, affordable fun is just that! Ride safe, my friends!

·
Registered
68 Posts
2000 gmc k2500 crewcab 454fatblock, 13mpg... 97 jeep wrangler 2.5L 5spd, 17mpg... 75 chevy silverado hotrod (won't bore u with details) 13mpg... my tw has been getting between 68 and 80 mpg depending on what i'm doing. the choice is pretty clear to me, especially when warm weather strikes here in TN.

·
Registered
464 Posts
People have started crying about gas prices being speculated to rise to $5.00 soon. Then these same people get in their full size, extended cab trucks and drive away. I wonder if they know that keeping all that junk in the bed of their truck day in and day out is killing their already bad gas mileage.

Gas prices have always made a difference. Not just when they hit a new high or a seasonal peak.

I ride my TW to work (about 5500 miles a year). I get about 60 miles to the gallon doing so. While my car gets about 13 miles to the gallon (5.2 liter V8).

Let's say gas is $3.00 a gallon and do some math.

(5,500 / 60) * $3.00 = $275

(5,500 / 13) * $3.00 = $1269

Looks like by riding the TW I save $994 (on gas alone) a year while also having fun * 2.

Same story on insurance, but that's another topic.

If you look at inflation- gas today at $3.00 per gallon is equivalent to gasoline priced in 1974 being .30 per gallon and back then gas was .70/gal-so gas is a better deal today then back then.

Here in where I live 87 non-ethanol gas is 3.28/gal and premium is $3.50 plus per gallon, diesel is $3.80/gal.

Yup the TW really makes a tank of gas last

Mike

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I need some ice screws or something because its hard to ride with all this snow and nasty freezing rain we're getting in my area.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I wonder how out tw's and other equipment will run when that crappy new E-15 fuel comes to town?

The Environmental Protection Agency Friday partially granted a waiver to allow fuel and fuel additive manufacturers to introduce into commerce gasoline that contains greater than 10 percent ethanol and up to 15 percent ethanol for use in model year 2001 and newer light-duty motor vehicles, subject to several conditions.

On Oct. 13, 2010, EPA granted a partial waiver for E15 for use in 2007 and newer cars, light-duty trucks and medium-duty passenger vehicles. On Friday, EPA granted a partial waiver for E15 for use in 2001-2006 light-duty motor vehicles.

According to an EPA statement, these decisions were based on test results provided by the U.S. Department of Energy and other information regarding the potential effect of E15 on vehicle emissions. Taken together, the two actions allow, but do not require, E15 to be introduced into commerce for use in 2001 and newer light-duty motor vehicles if conditions for mitigating misfueling and ensuring fuel quality are met.

EPA is in the process of completing work on regulations that would provide a more practical means of meeting the conditions.

The National Corn Growers Association applauded the EPA's announcement today. “The announcement by EPA this morning is welcome news,” said Darrin Ihnen, NCGA chairman. “We have worked closely with EPA during this process and are pleased to see they also realized what our industry has known for a long time: the use of higher blends of ethanol in vehicles is safe.”

“While there is still plenty of work to be done, NCGA is pleased the EPA has taken this important step forward,” Ihnen said. “NCGA and its ethanol industry allies will continue our work to educate the public on the use of higher blends of ethanol in vehicles.”

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
“While there is still plenty of work to be done, NCGA is pleased the EPA has taken this important step forward,” Ihnen said. “NCGA and its ethanol industry allies will continue our work to educate the public on the increases on profit, pollution, and overall petroleum consumption by our industry while increasing food costs by limiting the food supply to the consumer.”

Fixed. Ethanol in gasoline is a contaminant. Nothing more. An educated consumer will not buy E10 if E0 is available. An educated consumer will not buy E15. Let station operators who sell that crap know why you won't do business with them. Money talks. BS promulgated by the NCGA walks.

·
Registered
7,319 Posts
If you look at inflation- gas today at $3.00 per gallon is equivalent to gasoline priced in 1974 being .30 per gallon and back then gas was .70/gal-so gas is a better deal today then back then.

Mike

Great!!! Now I feel better!!!!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
“While there is still plenty of work to be done, NCGA is pleased the EPA has taken this important step forward,” Ihnen said. “NCGA and its ethanol industry allies will continue our work to educate the public on the increases on profit, pollution, and overall petroleum consumption by our industry while increasing food costs by limiting the food supply to the consumer.”

Fixed. Ethanol in gasoline is a contaminant. Nothing more. An educated consumer will not buy E10 if E0 is available. An educated consumer will not buy E15. Let station operators who sell that crap know why you won't do business with them. Money talks. BS promulgated by the NCGA walks.

Amen.

·
Registered
553 Posts
As petrol rises, I'm increasingly happy with my car choice.

It uses about the same amount as the TW, and is cheaper to run in terms of servicing etc.

Once you've learnt how to pack on a motorcycle, taking a small car is a doddle.

Best - 55mpg

Worst - 42mpg

Some have had as good as 62mpg - car's a Suzuki Alto - 3 cylinder, 1.0 litre engine.

And if you really don't like paying for fuel, consider the Vectrix (electric, no fuel bills) or similar. I had one a few months ago and it's surprisingly fast.

·
Registered
369 Posts
There is only one gas station in my town that doesn't have ethanol in its fuel, it costs a little more but I try not to put that junk in my vehicles. I live in the mid-west so my opinion is not a popular one.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
There is only one gas station in my town that doesn't have ethanol in its fuel, it costs a little more but I try not to put that junk in my vehicles. I live in the mid-west so my opinion is not a popular one.

Same haywagon here. Agricultural community with one source of real gasoline. There are other sources in nearby towns. Cost is $0.15/gallon, or about 5% more, but fuel efficiency increase is 23%. cheaper in the long run to pay more for a better quality product. If people actually made the effort to try various fuels rather than just state they see no difference they would be up in arms. How many people know that every time someone puts 20 gallons in their dualie or SUV that $7.00 is taken out of the federal accounts and given to the oil companies to bribe them into messing with the stuff, and a like amount goes to farmers? Corn-based ethanol is a net loss any way you look at it.

The farmers and ethanol producers are trying to shut down the alternative fuel evaluation program in which I am involved. We generate raw data directly comparing efficiency and engine performance on a variety of fuels in a variety of internal combustion applications. If corn-based ethanol had any real potential as a viable alternative would we not find real benefits in real vehicles? If corn-based ethanol had any real potential wouldn't the farmers and ethanol producers encourage our work and publicize our results?

·
Registered
7,319 Posts
Qwerty -- You must have to publish your results somewhere or maybe have an online sight with the results. I would sure like to read some of it. I also know a few "green" people I would like to forward it to.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Tony, we are in the 2nd year of a 5-year program. Official results are to be reported at the end of the program. We are not allowed to officially publish any results until then. Your corn growers' and ethanol producers' political lobbyists at work.

Here are some links you might like:

http://www.coyoteblog.com/Skeptics_Guide_to_Anthropogenic_Global_Warming_v1.0.pdf

http://www.coyoteblog.com/coyote_blog/2005/07/more_evidence_o.html

http://www.coyoteblog.com/coyote_blog/2007/11/burning-the-wor.html

http://www.coyoteblog.com/coyote_blog/2005/06/why_wont_ethano.html

http://www.coyoteblog.com/coyote_blog/2008/10/obama-and-ethan.html

http://www.coyoteblog.com/coyote_blog/2008/07/ethanol-updates.html

http://www.coyoteblog.com/coyote_blog/2007/04/we_have_got_to_.html

This one cuts to the quick: http://www.coyoteblog.com/coyote_blog/2007/08/ethanol-gets-1.html

Follow the money trail. Hippity hoppity agri-indus-government oligarchic police state is on its way.

I kind of like Warren Meyer and his http://www.coyoteblog.com/ Not much of actual sound evidence against anything he posts. When your greenie acquaintances claim the blog is biased so should be discounted, which they will, agree that it is biased, by reason and the analysis of relavernt and valid data, but if their call to discount it is to be rational and reasonable they will have to provide some rational, reasonable, and unbiased evidence in refutation to the blog's claims. Remind your greenie acquaintences that they might want to consider Meyer is an Ivy League educated mechanical engineer who actually owns and operates a small business in the real world, rather than some self-grandizing educated idiot spewing drivel from an ivory tower.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I don't know about you guys but I get up in the high 80 mpg's almost pushing 90 mpg's. my truck is lucky to get 19 mpg's. So I'm just waiting for spring to get here soon. May have to slip the groundhog a $20 bill to get spring here a little earlier....

·
Registered
66 Posts
Don't forget to add the cost of tires into your fuel savings formula. Bikes wear out tires much quicker than a car. Each bike is a little different but I have always estimated that for every dollar I put in the tank I should put another in the kitty for tires. That has probably shifted a some with fuel going up since tires haven't seemed to go up as much as fuel has. Riding 5500 miles I would guess that two shoes uses up 1 front and at least half a rear tire.

Brad

·
Registered
216 Posts
Near my house theres a Murphys(Wallys)that I think uses the ethanol mix and a Shell station close together and sale for the same price, so I buy my gas at Shell just in case. Well you can save three cents at Murphys if you use a Walmart card.

I never been fan of EPA, OSHA, USDA, etc anyways!!! Oh the price of regular gas here now is $3.00 "Dolores"

Love you all:

Miguel Angel

1 - 20 of 88 Posts