TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys! New Member Here!
Just bought myself a TW200 and looking to customize it in the near future.
I built myself a Ruckus not sure if anyone is familiar with those but I loved building it and want to do it to my TW200 TotalRuckus ? View topic - RuckL finished pg.4 plus video Linky

After reading some compatible tanks it appears none of them have a fuel float
I have an acewell speedo on my Ruckus which I'd love to throw on my TDub

Anyone know of any tanks that would fit in addition to a fuel float to wire up a gauge?
Don't think it would hurt to ask!

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
The TW being a split tank with a hump through the middle does not lend itself to any type of a fuel sensor gauge. The Clarke after market plastic tanks that come in a milk white color easily show the remaining fuel level. I think they are Butt Ugly in this milky white color and would absolutely try to paint mine. In the paint process I would tape off a small line so it remained a visible fuel level line I could see. I know there are some here who don't think I should be allowed to have my opinion of Butt Ugly but the one thing these Clarke tanks do have going for them is the added fuel capacity and the ability to see it. I would simply dress mine up so it does not look like I have a milk jug for a fuel tank.

GaryL

·
Registered
20,366 Posts
One could rig up a manometer tube on the outside of the tank "T-ed" into the fuel line below tank's petcock done in transparent, or translucent tubing. A little too dangerous for my blood but it is feasible.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
A simple way to put a fuel gauge on your TW is to drill the tank near the front where it will be protected, at the top and bottom, JBweld a couple of elbows and put a clear piece of plastic pipe between them. personally, I just reset the speedometer and when I get about 70mi on I look for a station or refill with an aux.

·
Registered
20,366 Posts
If MrMunk or other adventurous types wants to try the pipe/manometer route be sure to secure pipe from snags so as to avoid fireballing:p, and plumb top of pipe back into vent system so it sees atmospheric pressure yet avoids spills.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Couple thoughts along these lines.
1. Back in the day my DT and CT bike tanks had a crossover tubes to equalize fuel in both sides of the tank. My old GS has 2 petcocks, right and left with sort of an H fuel line configuration. In practice this give me a reserve and a second reserve. The TW has neither. So we have the reserve and then the lay the bike down on its side second reserve. So has anyone on here put a crossover tube or second petcock on?

2. My new/Old 87' doesn't have a trip meter. I have been thinking about how to deal with it. Any sugestions?

·
Registered
20,366 Posts
Forum member evan installed a new style speedo to get the odometer function, it was from a post 2000 TW I believe.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I guess I'm repeating what others have said, but my TW has a fuel gauge. It's called the trip odometer. It's not a precision measurement, and it requires a little thinking, but it's close enough for me. If I want more precision I take the cap off and look in, NOT by the light of a match :D.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you guys for the responses, knowing about the trip odometer, it's what I've been using for now but drilling wouldn't be ideal, too nervous about that
Seems like no other tanks fitting the tw200 would have a meter.
Still would want to install an acewell but was looking if there was a way to take advantage of the fuel meter built within the gauge itself

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I have no idea how one would do it but I suppose an electrical float level device/sensor could be installed in the tank that would send a signal/light a light when the fuel level falls too low. IMO this would be more trouble than it is worth but if this is your goal then have at it. My gauge has always been the trip meter and I have replaced a few speedometers with the post 2001 models just to get it. When I fill the tank I re set the trip to zero and when it gets to around 70 miles I know I will hit the reserve pretty soon. This is probably the cheapest method and a switch takes all of 15 minutes with no intrusive craftsmanship involved. Lots of Yamaha models use the same or very similar speedometers such as the XTs that are plug and play to the TW.

GaryL

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have thought of both a crossover tube and a sight glass for my t-dub. Sealing holes has cause me great consternation. Something about gasoline and hot motors.

Anyway, after many attempts I managed to find the right search string and found Wahl Brothers Racing!
Wahl Bros. Racing

Under fuel system - fuel fittings - you will find straight and 90d fittings in plastic, brass and steel, with, of course, the needed grommets to prevent leakage. I'm not rushing to place my order as my Clarke tank has yet to arrive.

But here's a resource for those of us without the common sense to not punch holes in our gas tanks

·
Registered
13,716 Posts
Concept & theory thought, not a finished project thought.

Would there be a way to run a piece of clear tubing from a y-fitting from the petcock and run this tube up along the side of the gas tank? Similar to when we use a clear tube to determine the float bowl level on our carburetor's?

·
Registered
263 Posts
I put a 4 gallon Clarke tank on my TW, and after 2,200 miles, I still haven't had to put gas in the tank!
Man, that thing holds a lot of fuel...
;)

·
Registered
638 Posts
Concept & theory thought, not a finished project thought.

Would there be a way to run a piece of clear tubing from a y-fitting from the petcock and run this tube up along the side of the gas tank? Similar to when we use a clear tube to determine the float bowl level on our carburetor's?
This is what Fred was talking about in post #4. Issue being Tree/Rock/Drop damage to the tube = Fireball.

·
Registered
13,716 Posts
This is what Fred was talking about in post #4. Issue being Tree/Rock/Drop damage to the tube = Fireball.
I assumed he was talking about something from the front of the tank. We already have the potential fireball from the petcock area already. My thought is running it up from the rear of the tank from under or along side the seat out of tree and rock scrapping way.

But my main point is asking if the theory of running a tube up along the tank this way would work in principle?

·
Registered
13,716 Posts
Originally Posted by Moabman
I put a 4 gallon Clarke tank on my TW, and after 2,200 miles, I still haven't had to put gas in the tank!
Man, that thing holds a lot of fuel...
;)

I think someone else must be putting it in for you. 4x80=2200???
OK after re-reading it, it is funny. 2,200 miles on a 4 gallon tank. That's some seriously good gas mileage. giggle!

·
Registered
20,366 Posts
Admiral, your "sight glass" idea would work. I would be temped to bed the tubing in epoxy up tight against the tank so nothing could conceivably snag it. But like the oil cooler there will always be a safety and durability compromise when we let vital juices outside their OEM containment.
I do like the idea of getting 550mpg though, my bike only gets that when getting a free ride on my hitch carrier.:D

·
Registered
13,716 Posts
The theory works. If one wanted to have a y connection at the petcock (as an example) and you could run clear tubing up the tank and keep the fuel from coming out of said tubing, it could work.

Looking closely at the clear tubing closer to the top, you can see the fuel level. I'm not inclined to do this as I've never had the need, but it's possible.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
the end of the tube would have to breath to work, so fuel coming out the end would be a difficult to manage unless it was teed with a breather tube on the gas cap

1 - 20 of 20 Posts