TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I am brand new to riding, as in we just got my first ever bike last night. you probably guessed it is a TW200 since I am on this forum. :) We purchased the front rack from cycle racks and then realized after it was installed if i put anything on it over a couple inches tall I am blocking the headlamp. My husband wanted me to ask the forum what other solutions people have for this. For example, are there auxiliary lights I can install higher up like near the handle bars, etc.? It needs to be a simple install too, no welding, etc.

We are planning on doing some moto camping so I will be using the front and back rack for gear. I tried to attach a photo to show how just a bedroll bag on the front rack blocks the light. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Congrats on the new bike and welcome to the forum!

Cycle Racks makes a pretty good product, but unfortunately their front racks are not particularly useful unless you only ride off-road during daylight hours :(. I have seen a few members with front racks that carry their load up above the headlight, but even that design presents its own problems. Lots of people have added auxiliary lights up front (usually LED's), so that may be a viable option for you.

Brian

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
how often would you really need to haul gear up front and drive at night ? for most it's not the normal or common ride

The tiny amount the front rack can hold could easily he added to the rear rack or a back pack or even a tank bag for a short night ride

modern LED lighting would allow for a helmet lamp or two lights mounted on each side of the fork where the reflectors mount

I agree with TWBrian I do still like the Cycleracks front rack even though I've never carried anything but some road dirt on mine

Welcome to the forum and let us know if you choose a lighting solution

Also wasn't there a forum member offering a dual front light kit that mounted at the reflector points ?

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
You cannot or shouldn't add auxiliary lights just because you want to bungee or carry something on that front rack blocking the lamp. I have the exact same one but for safety's sake do not carry anything tied to it at night. It's a nice product but will have limited application based on the riders safely being able to see at night and if you think about it, riders safety for others to see her/him during the day or night.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stagewax brings up a good point along with some others. I probably won't do much riding at night, especially with gear on the rack. But if I do get caught out in the woods later than expected I'd like some light. Probably more important is what Stagewax said about visibility to other vehicles. That reason alone I'd like to find a way to mount some lights up high enough to be seen over the gear. Any suggestions for this or pictures, etc. I'd appreciate it. I will do a little looking for a helmet lamp as Placer suggested but would also prefer to have them mounted directly to the bike for when hubby or son rides it. Thank you.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I would think that the best and most practical use of the front rack would be to hang panniers from the sides of it.
I agree. Small panniers or a pair of 1 gallon Rotopax fuel packs would work well on the low front rack.

·
Registered
336 Posts
If you're looking for an alternative, Manracks sells a front rack that mounts above the headlight: Welcome to ManRacks. (This may be the one TW-Brian mentioned).

Welcome to the forum!
I have this one on mine, and it can carry a moderate amount of stuff without interfering with the headlight. I usually just mount the GoPro to it.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
When off-road; even in a slow speed crash - the pannier hangers can get pretty messed up to where I had to jury-rig things to continue on. And another time; hitting a couple bumps in a row at a good clip broke the clips on the left to right pannier attaching straps when Rotopax containers were attached. Thus I've concluded that for me; the cycle-rack panniers will be only for on-road use.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I have this one on mine, and it can carry a moderate amount of stuff without interfering with the headlight. I usually just mount the GoPro to it.
I also run the Manracks on the front of mine. I got it specifically because it was above the headlight and i could put stuff on it. I have a Wolfman enduro tool bag attached to mine. Its mainly used for a first aid kit and other little items but its on the bike at all times.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I'd use the rack during the day, and put the gear in a lightweight backpack. If you have to run at night, throw it on your back.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Let me add this. While riding in West Virginia a week and a half ago I had a very small 6 pack cooler filled with water bottles. At one of the stops Rick/TopPred who was riding the dirt roads in front of me asked if I could put the cooler on the rear rack (also a cycle rack). He needed to "see" my headlamp in his rear-view mirror so he knew I was still there and... just in case I went down. Also turned it on High-Beam. This is all during the daytime so that is the added visibility I was talking about which even on city or town streets, maybe a cager can see you at the last minute before uttering "I didn't see him/her".

I'll use the front rack for chores around town and stuff but it does have it's limitations and you don't want one of them to be visibility. One very positive thing I can say and attest to about it is it also acts as a very durable and strong protector for all your bodywork and turn signals for your front end. There are some scratches and paint missing from mine now but that's because it took the "hit" that could have damaged other things.

Enough of my Fatherly advice. Really a common-sense way when to use it or not.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I can't imagine any situation where mounting gear in a way that obstructs the headlight could be considered a good idea. Obvious safety issues aside, if something does happen and an insurance company gets wind of it, that's going to give you a serious headache. I could also see the local constabulary taking issue with it and dishing out some revenue generation vouchers.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Hi and welcome. It looks like you got 2018’s love that color too. My wife and I are going to do some camping soon too. I don’t care what these other guys are saying about blocking the head light. It all depends on where you’ll be riding. If mostly off road I wouldn’t worry. I did install led aux lights that are mounted to my Acerbis handguard mounts. They are wired into the high beam circuit. I can flash them in daylight to warn cagers. They would also work if you had stuff off road on the rack at night. Here is a pic. They are really nice added light at night. These lights were cheap from eBay and so far are doing fine.

FB7ABBC8-DAA1-4035-A0BB-9110197C6D1F.jpeg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi and welcome. It looks like you got 2018’s love that color too. My wife and I are going to do some camping soon too. I don’t care what these other guys are saying about blocking the head light. It all depends on where you’ll be riding. If mostly off road I wouldn’t worry. I did install led aux lights that are mounted to my Acerbis handguard mounts. They are wired into the high beam circuit. I can flash them in daylight to warn cagers. They would also work if you had stuff off road on the rack at night. Here is a pic. They are really nice added light at night. These lights were cheap from eBay and so far are doing fine.

View attachment 175978
Hey Tweaker, this is EXACTLY the idea I was hoping for and thank you very much for the picture. This is just what I needed to see. Thanks again!

·
Registered
19,409 Posts
Big belated Welcome!
For a brand new rider I think you have made some pretty good choices so far starting out with getting a TW.:D Rack will work for the intended purpose.

I was just about to recommend TWEAKER's lights and location. I don't know why they keep saying all those things about him for he sure seemed smart in choosing a safe, high location for his lights:). I just broke one of mine which was mounted lower.
Another advantage of these is that you can adjust them on the fly to transition from a high beam like straight ahead position to a more trail friendly side illuminating angle.

EDIT: Was just teasing Tweaker because he beat me to suggesting a possible option., he is as good as they come. He'll probably beat me to providing a link to the lights too.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts