TW200 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the Tw 200 forum since I just purchased a used 2013 with 3000 miles
Changing the chain and will do the sprokets at the same time. Read lots one options on the ratios and seems that for south Florida (no hills) and for cruising by or on the beach 14 / 47 would be good. Not trying to ride at high speed but would enjoy longer time between shifting to the next gear. Am I on the right track with 14 / 47.
Any advise on changing the front sproket?
Thanks

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Since you don't have a lot of hills, a 14/47 will help to keep the engine RPM's down a little at higher speeds. I can't really speak to what is best for sand riding.

To change the front sprocket, you'll have to remove the left (stator) side cover. You can either drain the oil or lay the bike down on its right side. You should plan on replacing the side cover gasket and you may want to replace the seals (2) on the output shaft and maybe also the gear shifter shaft.

Be careful to note how the wiring is routed and make sure not to pinch any wires when you put the side cover back on.

p.s. Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
If you are changing sprockets because of mileage along with the chain, If you are running pretty much level ground, I would tend to go to a fifteen on the front and leave the rear a fifty. The more teeth on the front helps it to wear longer and will give you that little higher ratio. It is much easier to change out the rear and go up a few teeth if you find you are in the sand a lot. Having a couple different rear sprockets to change out as you need to is much nicer than dealing with the front.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
If it's mostly level riding, 14/47 or 15/50 will be fine. If you are going into deep sand and you are on the plus side of 180 lbs. I'd leave it stock. All depends on your priorities. Chain and sprockets are pretty cheap for the TW so if you choose a ratio that doesn't work for you, you can change back.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Excellent. Thank you very much for the recommendations. Will try to do the changes this week.
Glad to be have discovered the forum.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guys, i changed the sprockets (front and back) and my TW does not want to start. It makes noice by the battery. I was careful not to snap any wire. Any Ideas?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts