TW200 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the internal gearing different between the 2000 and 2008 models?

I have a 2008 model, and my father has a 2000 model. We went trail ridding this last weekend, and his did much better on the steep trails, but mine much better on the highway and mpg. We traded bikes a couple of times to make sure it wasn't the rider. We initially thought that the sprockets may have changed between the years, but we counted both and they both appear to be a 14 tooth front and 50 tooth back. Was there a change on the internal parts, or is there something else that may account for this difference?

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Is the internal gearing different between the 2000 and 2008 models?

I have a 2008 model, and my father has a 2000 model. We went trail ridding this last weekend, and his did much better on the steep trails, but mine much better on the highway and mpg. We traded bikes a couple of times to make sure it wasn't the rider. We initially thought that the sprockets may have changed between the years, but we counted both and they both appear to be a 14 tooth front and 50 tooth back. Was there a change on the internal parts, or is there something else that may account for this difference?

Different carbs, different charging systems and different front brake. 'Bout it. I'd bet on the carbs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Different carbs, different charging systems and different front brake. 'Bout it. I'd bet on the carbs.

Thanks for your reply.

By charging systems, I assume you mean alternator-battery configuration?

So the new carb is designed to give better gas mileage, but reduce the low end power?

Thanks

·
Registered
369 Posts
Without knowing this to be fact, i would guess the emission standards tightened up between 2000 and 2008. the 2008 probably is jetted leaner which would account for the better mileage and less torque. I opened the idle jet up on my 09 and it idles much better and seems to have a little better throttle response at low rpm's. plan is to go up 1 size on the main jet next.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Without knowing this to be fact, i would guess the emission standards tightened up between 2000 and 2008. the 2008 probably is jetted leaner which would account for the better mileage and less torque. I opened the idle jet up on my 09 and it idles much better and seems to have a little better throttle response at low rpm's. plan is to go up 1 size on the main jet next.

+1 Tdub is an '03 and a proper tune on the carb made a noticable improvement in low speed power and throttle response. Tdub still gets 70mpg around town, down about 3mpg from running with all the symptoms of too-lean.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts