TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Just bought a 2007 T-Dub, to replace my 125cc scooter as my daily commuter. I live in Chicago and most of my riding will be around the in/around the city, in stop-and-go traffic, and some highway. I'm wondering what sprockets are ideal for this type of riding. It would be nice to not have to be in 3rd just to get through a light, and I also would like to keep my top speed up for the stretch of 60mph highway on my commute. I know a TW isn't the most practical tool for this type of riding, but for the time being I'd like to make the best of what I have. My MPG's aren't too great at the moment, how will changing gearing affect fuel efficiency?

Any input is greatly appreciated! :)

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
15/47 or a 45 with the stock 14 sprocket works for me on and off road. I tried 14/47 first and there was not enough difference.

·
Registered
119 Posts
14/45

I can do 65 on the flats in 5th, 55 up some pretty good grades in 4th (screaming).

I have a DG slip on muffler, carb jetting and snorkel removed. YMMV.

·
Registered
156 Posts
First,change the front with a 15T one.
If that's not enough, begin experimenting by decreasing the rear sprocket teeth until satisfied.
If you want to cruise at 60 mph at max torque rpm, try 15F/45R.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I ride about 85% on dirt. Some of my favorite longer/challenging trails are a 15 min road ride away, many are 5 min away. But last year I decided to switch to a 47 rear with front stock 14. I felt little change on trail a little at higher speeds. But switched back to stock for Moab and staying there. If you are road only/mostly in flat territory try 45 rear or even 15/45 for a real difference from stock set up. Stock front and switch to 47 rear was a very subtle change. Hardly worth it imo
Don't expect to do any steep climbs tho

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
From your description as an urban scooter rider that might jump on the freeway every once and awhile... you don't have to do anything. The bike is set-up perfect for your needs from the factory. The perceived owner "improvements" are mostly personal and tailored for whatever type or riding you are going to use the bike for. I am in no way any different from anyone else that poured a bunch of mods into my "dub". But in the end the most important ones revolved around comfort like a better seat (seat concepts), one inch risers, adults sized footpegs.

The gearing change I did going to a 47T rear sprocket for better highway use was so minuscule that it really didn't make much difference. You can go extreme either way but highway gearing will take away off-road use. The same going the other direction. Sound like you don't need that. Best take away for me in that gearing change was replacing the stock bargain basement chain to an "X-Ring" chain. Perfect if you don't want to spend much time adjusting your chain (2000+ miles and no adjustment yet).

As a city rider you might want to consider a rack or case for transporting stuff, lockable if a case. I have Cycleracks on both the front and the back. They are pricey and the front one is kinda a joke. But I will tell you that between the two racks they make excellent frame and overall bike protection if you drop the bike or for example if you park on the street and someone knocks your bike over trying to squeeze into a parking lot. They would be good urban protection and add a pair of Tusk hand protectors to protect you switch-gear too. They are cheap.

I have a thread (not sure how to find it) as do a bunch or others listing mods they did along the way. You'll get more out of following some of those and deciding what you really "need" first and then what you "want". It's all fun and a great little bike to dress up and play with.

PS: I just recently purchased an older used scooter, a 150cc Vespa. Such a great little bunch of fun and my new go-to-around-town-2-wheeler in the garage.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I’m 175 lbs and I’m experimenting with 16 - 42 sprockets on my 01. It’s good for my city riding. But 5th gear becomes sorta useless on windy days and most hills. I wanted to bring the revs down and for that it is excellent. It bumped my mpgs up but not as much as I was expecting. I’m sure that’s due to all the time spent at red lights.

My advice is that you can accomplish your goals by simply experimenting with the rear sprocket and not have to remove the left case cover to swap the front. If you’re looking for a place to start I’d say 14 - 45. If you’re heavier or have lots of heavy mods, our whopping 13 hp just can’t do much more at higher speeds.

My 96 has stock gearing and it will hit 65 somewhat easily, but I’ve only ever done it once because it was screaming.
My 89 has 15 - 45 and it gets to 70 but just runs outa oomph. Not screaming as bad. Again only did it once.
My 01 with 16 - 42 can hit 75 but only on a downhill. The sound was not nearly as disturbing as the 96. Again only once. These bikes aren’t made for those speeds for extended periods. Change your oil often if you do.

Just my opinions

·
Registered
2 Posts
My girlfriend needs more highway speed and she weighs very little. Sounds like we will start with the 15t front. Is there a chain adjustment or linkage reduction required?

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I've been running 15/44 and it lets 5th feel essentially like an overdrive (technically 5th is always an overdrive, .82:1 if the calculator is right), and makes cruising at 55-60 in 5th very comfortable. The mirrors aren't vibrating so bad you can't use them. However the top speed is more or less the same. At about 70mph you just can't punch through the air any faster with the allotted power. You have to downshift to 4th on hills you might've done in 5th with stock gearing. You can get through an intersection with less shifting, though you'll find you're slipping the clutch a fair amount to take off from a stop up a hill. If I were you I'd probably do something between my gearing, which I consider extreme, and 14/47 (or 15/50) which is close to stock but a little nicer on the highways from what I've read.

Open a few copies of this at once and compare combinations: TW200 Speed Calculator

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
My girlfriend needs more highway speed and she weighs very little. Sounds like we will start with the 15t front. Is there a chain adjustment or linkage reduction required?
no differences in chain length. i found the 15 tooth was perfect for me. it went good on the highway and still could do all the forstry roads i wanted to do. only down side is, it is a pain changing the front sprocket, be careful of the locating dowels and the wiring when you put the cover back on

·
Super Moderator
1,908 Posts
no differences in chain length. i found the 15 tooth was perfect for me. it went good on the highway and still could do all the forstry roads i wanted to do. only down side is, it is a pain changing the front sprocket, be careful of the locating dowels and the wiring when you put the cover back on
Now this is JMO but why mess with the front sprocket if the 14 is good, I see no reason to mess with taking the cover off and messing with a new gasket and the wiring. To many people have had issues putting the cover back on and pinched the wires. IMO It's so much easier to put on a new rear sprocket( ie:45) in your case and put on a new x-ring chain as well. Now if your front 14 sprocket is bad then you have no choice. But I would still put on an X-ring chain.

Chain-https://www.denniskirk.com/jt-sprockets/428-x1r-heavy-duty-x-ring-chain-jtc428x1r124sl.p111108124.prd/111108124.sku?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4vvqyfHr4gIVhNdkCh2NjQm3EAQYAiABEgJcWPD_BwE

Sprocket-https://www.amazon.com/JT-Sprockets-JTR1842-45-Steel-Sprocket/dp/B001AVW0B0

·
Registered
333 Posts
Now this is JMO but why mess with the front sprocket if the 14 is good, I see no reason to mess with taking the cover off and messing with a new gasket and the wiring. To many people have had issues putting the cover back on and pinched the wires. IMO It's so much easier to put on a new rear sprocket( ie:45) in your case and put on a new x-ring chain as well. Now if your front 14 sprocket is bad then you have no choice. But I would still put on an X-ring chain.

Chain-https://www.denniskirk.com/jt-sprockets/428-x1r-heavy-duty-x-ring-chain-jtc428x1r124sl.p111108124.prd/111108124.sku?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4vvqyfHr4gIVhNdkCh2NjQm3EAQYAiABEgJcWPD_BwE

Sprocket-https://www.amazon.com/JT-Sprockets-JTR1842-45-Steel-Sprocket/dp/B001AVW0B0
Of course your opinion is valid, but I hate to see you scare people away from a very simple operation. I have replaced both front and rear sprockets and I would rather do the front. I did not need a new gasket and pinching of the wires is very easy to avoid. Removing the rear wheel, sprocket bolts and keepers and replacing them is much more work. Just another opinion:)

·
Registered
74 Posts
If you want the most out of your T-Dub, I put on a 47T rear. Put Shell Rotella Synthetic 5w40, use synthetic oil on your chain, air up tires 32F and 30Rear and use a chain aligning tool instead of using the marks on the swingarm. Also balance your tires. In other words free up all the horsepower you already have!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I love my 2003 TW but believe I would get tired of shifting gears in constant stop and go traffic. Started out with a 50cc Zuma and sold that to the family as a fun urban errand runner. Hard to beat the convenience of twist and go.

That said, my TW is a better bike for rural secondary roads and moderate off road exploring as a carry-on to my class C motorhome. Came with TW 203/204 tires that I will be removing later to install some dual sport tires. Should have them available for cheap in the next few months

1 - 20 of 20 Posts