TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I have a 2012 TW. Love and hate the bike. What drives me crazy about it is how short 1st gear is. I cant make 25 feet without shifting. I would like to prolong that with a gearing change. Procycle only offers a 15 tooth front to replace the stock 14. That does not seem like it would do much. Would a 44 0r 47 rear be a better swap? The bike is primarily street driven with a little off road when the opportunity arises. I would rather have longer road gearing them shorter off road gearing.

Any help?

·
Registered
343 Posts
All kinds of threads about this, some with scientifical charts and rpm comparisons...likely find them near the bottom of the page in 'similar threads'.

Most go with a rear sprocket swap, just because it's easier to swap the rear than R&R'ing the whole side cover and gasket to do the front.
I put a 45 on the back of mine, was a great swap...only noticed the higher 1st gear in really slow rough stuff. Was nice to make it all the way through an intersection without shifting. Still had lots of top end...my '15 would top out at about 115km/h with the 45.
If you're not riding slow, rough, technical off-road, I'd absolutely throw a 45 on it. A 45 on the back of an otherwise stock set-up requires a 120-link chain. Someone said "There's no economy in buying a non-o-ring chain." (or something to that effect). I'm thrifty, but I agree 100%. I was adjusting the stock chain every couple rides. Put on an o-ringer with the 45 tooth-sprocket and never adjusted it once in a whole season of riding.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All kinds of threads about this, some with scientifical charts and rpm comparisons...likely find them near the bottom of the page in 'similar threads'.

Most go with a rear sprocket swap, just because it's easier to swap the rear than R&R'ing the whole side cover and gasket to do the front.
I put a 45 on the back of mine, was a great swap...only noticed the higher 1st gear in really slow rough stuff. Was nice to make it all the way through an intersection without shifting. Still had lots of top end...my '15 would top out at about 115km/h with the 45.
If you're not riding slow, rough, technical off-road, I'd absolutely throw a 45 on it. A 45 on the back of an otherwise stock set-up requires a 120-link chain. Someone said "There's no economy in buying a non-o-ring chain." (or something to that effect). I'm thrifty, but I agree 100%. I was adjusting the stock chain every couple rides. Put on an o-ringer with the 45 tooth-sprocket and never adjusted it once in a whole season of riding.
Thank you GC,
I did not know about the similar thread feature. After reading all of those my head is kind of spinning. Gearing threads are as bad as oil threads :eek: Im going to look around and see if I can find a 45 and also replace my crap stock chain.

·
Registered
13,795 Posts
Thank you GC,
I did not know about the similar thread feature. After reading all of those my head is kind of spinning. Gearing threads are as bad as oil threads :eek: Im going to look around and see if I can find a 45 and also replace my crap stock chain.
Kind of a GCFishguy clone comment but he's provided some good info. I'll just add another "in agreement" comment.

I'm mostly an off-pavement rider but a couple years back a forum member loaned me a 45T rear sprocket to try out. I road the TW to work a couple times with it. If was a more street oriented rider I would use at 45t or maybe even 47t. I did ride my TW on a local forest service road with the 45t and it did just fine but that's as far off-pavement as I would go with it. I liked it so much I have 44t waiting on the shelf if I'm gonna do more pavement.

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
Wisconsin is a bit flatter without the relief of Idaho so a 45t rear sprocket might be a good option. Much taller gearing and the TW might run out of enough oomph to get out of it's own way without slipping the clutch.

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
No one mentioned oil.
Thank you GC,
See above in Red.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
I prefer to change the front sprocket for a few reasons it’s less expensive than buying rears and I can go from 11 to 16 tooth w/o changing chain length and I can easily carry all I need to change gears in the field.
I like open logging style roads or desert roads so I’m not doing any stump pulling or rock crawling
My favorite is the PBI 16 tooth although the 15 is also a huge improvement over stock gearing.
I’ve never had a problem with case gaskets but it’s like cleaning carbs in that the more you do it the easier
It gets.
One tooth up Front equates to aprx 4 in the rear

·
Registered
457 Posts
Not to hijack the question and it is pertinent .... have any of you guys had success at saving the gasket on the left side cover, maybe try and spray dressing to make it work ?? Done this with holly carb bowls in the past where there was a lot of off and on. Would be nice when swapping front sprockets and cleaner and quicker too do so as well. Just curious...

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
I've used the gasket that was on mine many times. I put a new gasket on the cover side with just a tiny smear of gasket sealant to keep it there permanently, then use a little motor oil on the other side of the gasket and it never sticks.
Not to hijack the question and it is pertinent .... have any of you guys had success at saving the gasket on the left side cover, maybe try and spray dressing to make it work ?? Done this with holly carb bowls in the past where there was a lot of off and on. Would be nice when swapping front sprockets and cleaner and quicker too do so as well. Just curious...

·
Registered
566 Posts
45 tooth vs 50 tooth: turns a 5 speed motorcycle into a 4 speed with an overdrive. Hill, headwinds, etc and you're in 4th instead of 5th. It gives you a higher top end, but my bike doesn't have the oomph to push that much air. Flatlander experience may differ.

You will notice it holds onto 1st longer. I liked it better around town. 3rd gear became more of an option at 25 MPH rather than 4th. If that's what you're after, you may be very happy with it.

And my contribution to this here oil thread: I like oil.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts