TW200 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What gearing ratio is best for a certain style riding is a popular question that is asked frequently on the forum. Both new owners and those of us who have ridden a while, but want to change our riding style, frequently wonder which combination of front and rear sprockets will be the magic bullet for our particular application.

Since there are dozens of places that sell sprockets in scores of combinations, these two charts stick with the selection available from ProCycle .
Sizes used are...
  • Front: 12, 13, 14 & 15
  • Rear: 42, 44, 47, 49, 50, 52, 54 & 55
This first chart covers all of the sprocket combinations available, and lists them from those that produce the most speed, to those that produce the best climbing power.
Gear Ratios - ALL from fast to powerful.jpg

This second chart eliminates the 12 tooth front sprocket in favor of concentrating on the more popular combinations found on the forum, and highlights specific combinations of interest.
Gear Ratios - POPULAR pairings.jpg

While these two charts aren't all-inclusive, hopefully they will be a good starting point for folks interested in changing up their gears.

Quick edit: For those that want to use a dual rear sprocket setup, a 14 front with a rear combo of 44 for speed and 55 for climbing would produce a very respectable spread.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Interesting. I have an XT200, which is the same motor as the TW, and it has 15/47 gearing, which is in that 'balanced' zone.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello Gammer. Like you, I went with a 15/47 on my 01 TW200. The bike is more comfortable driving between 40 and 55 MPH and first gear is less of a stump puller. It seems just fine on the logging roads going up hill or down. I'm very happy with the change.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
My go to 99% of the time is 15/50 or 14/47. 15/47 I used on a 1600 mile road trip and it worked out ok. It kept the Rona down a bit at interstate speeds and made first gear better on the street. Plus if you had an incline you could still hold 55-60mph in fourth gear. I rode with it in the woods for a few minutes when I got home and it just lost to much bottom end for anything other than fire trails in my opinion. I don't think anything higher than 15/47 would be a good idea. A friend of mine bought a tw with either a 14/42 or 14/40 and it would run faster in fourth then fifth. Anything after 55-58mph and it couldn't muster it in 5th gear. Colorado trip 15/54 worked out really well which is essentially 1 tooth bigger in the back over stock. It allowed for good climbing and gave it just enough rpm to hold 55-60mph at 9,000 plus feet elevation. First time out there I had 14/47 and going from Gunnison to crested Butte I could only muster 45-48mph. 15/54 was 60 or a little better. Plus I'm a little guy and only weigh 150lbs. There are alot of variations to consider

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
I find with the stock 15/47 for my xt200 too low for 1st gear. I barely get rolling and I have to up shift to 2nd.
I just swapped out for a new chain and sprockets and am now using a 15/45 combo. Barley noticeable difference in gears 1 thru 4, but 5 is really lacking in power, more than before. However, I hope to overcome that as my next plan is to bore it out to fit a 70mm piston and upgrading the carb to a flatslide. If that doesn't improve things, I will go back to a 15/47.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts