TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Geeze this thing needs one more gear! :tongue3:

Went for an evening ride a little past 8, got to see some amazing colors against the clouds as I buzzed through the neighborhoods, and enjoyed the cool evening air.

Then I jumped on one of the main roads to see how much I could open her up. Got up to 65 for a very short minute before the road dropped back down to 35 for the light. It felt okay, but the entire time, I kept thinking there needs to be one more gear. I even pulled the clutch once and tried to shift just in case I was missing something :p NOPE! LOL. Even with the phantom gear, it handled well enough and was a hoot to ride at night.

I was going to put smaller turn signals on it, but like the amount of visibility the larger stems provide. Maybe once I break one, I'll replace them all. But for now they'll do fine.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Everyone, and I do mean everyone that has a TW has done the same thing looking for the 6th gear.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
OK OK Everyone that owns one "except" Mike has at one time or the other tried to shift into 6th, just incase there is one. ;)

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Of course, a sixth gear would only work down hill.
Very true. Fourth gear "factory gearing" struggles on some of the hills around here.

Tom

Reactions: littletommy

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
It's not that I don't know what gear I'm in or that there isn't a 6th. I just like to try once in a while anyway....ha ha

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I try to shift into 6th at least three times a week....and that's after five years! Or maybe since the Beemer has 6 I just get confused as to which bike I'm riding....NOT!:p

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Thats why I went to a 45 tooth rear sprocket after a couple days of ownership. Stock gearing is fine for off-road but first is to low for the street and 5th is not high enough for the highway IMHO. On my FZ6 I'm always looking for 7th gear.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I'm with Twilight. Not missing 6th gear. Stock TW couldn't pull it anyway most of the time.....Geared great for what it is.
It's a high revin' engine and will pull you to legal speeds as long as there ain't no hill. Has a great wide ratio 5 speed.
If you want to cruise the freeways, then you need a bike designed for it. TW=Trail Way as in trail bike. It is an awesome
SMALL dual sport. I would admit it's an amazing corner burner on pavement....up to about 40mph.
Most on account of fat tires and low center of gravity.

·
Registered
762 Posts
It does not need a 6th gear.

The engine...it's a bit...small. 200 cc's. Put a taller gear in it, and it will just bog down.

The cost of engineering a sixth-gear into that gearbox...not worth it. Frankly, I'm glad that this thing has continued unmolested from 1987 to today.

If you want more power for freeway cruising, there's thousands of other bikes. This...is what it is. What makes it underpowered at times, also makes it small and light and desirable, other times.

·
Registered
816 Posts
well soon enough with my six speed I think mine will be capable of 85mph all day long and with all those 25 extra cc's its gonna do wheelies in all 6 gears! seriously I think this motor will be fun, but its not the nature of this beast. It doesnt have the brakes or the chassis for that kind of power. I'm pretty satisfied with this bike stock knowing what it was when it came along.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, yeah, yeah... Never fear, guys. I know what the bike is, what it was designed to do, and have no plans to try to make it into a full-time highway bike. I have one of those and it's a nice, comfortable, long-distance cruiser that I've ridden for years and am keeping for all of those long, interstate speed rides.

But the TW is still new to me and I'm finding all its limits. It's a good thing. I'm not complaining because I don't like it... I'm griping because I'm learning all the differences. It's all said in love. Really ;)

I bought the TW200 for 2 reasons:
  • First, I want to ride off-road. I've only had the opportunity to do that a couple of times when visiting family and loved it both times. I want to do it more :) And I want to do it without killing myself on a more powerful beast. The TW's power is perfect for me.
  • Second, I want to learn to be self-reliant, and that means learning how to break down and maintain a motorcycle. The TW's simple design is perfect for this. It's still intimidating as all get-out, but I'm slowly learning to trust myself and hope to get to the point where I won't panic the first time something happens on the trail. I'll have the confidence to just hop off, fix the issue, and go on about enjoying the rest of the day.

Be patient with me guys. I'm getting there.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Buying the wrong bike doesnt cut it with me. I will ride my bike to the trails so Im in the one more gear camp. I always search for another gear on all my bikes, but usually only on the interstate on ramp. With the TW it was about every time I went through the gears. No, if I can help it Ill never take the TW on an interstate :) Im getting used to it now though, I know if Im above 45 MPH then I already hit 5th so dont need to look for another. I havent had them loaded down with gear yet but I think they have enough power for flat 6th gear travel. With no gear, just myself, she can accelerate uphill in 5th if Im 50 MPH or higher. Now I use the term accelerate loosely, shes slow, but she does accelerate, I wouldnt be able to pass anyone.

Reactions: Smitty Blackstone

·
Registered
762 Posts
I really doubt Yamaha will put another gear into it. This is a 27-year-old design; they've pretty-much abandoned it, engineering-wise. Rear drums? Carburetor? Hey, it's selling...if it can meet emissions regulations, just keep on making it another year.

Given some of the off-the-wall New-School designs we've seen, I fear what they might replace it with. How much plastic and how much electronics. AND, how much more $$$.

Yes, I guess you could put a 225 or 250 Yamaha single into the frame, complete with six speeds. Now, keep in mind, the chassis is very, very light. What makes a Gold Wing or a Harley stable at freeway speeds...a lot of it has to do with weight. Like these scooterpunks who shoehorn 150 gy6 engines into the Ruckus frame...the end result is over-engined, often unstable, has garage-engineering reliability, and is, in the end, completely unsaleable.

Bottom line is: It is what it is. More so than cars, bikes differ based on purposes. You won't hit the trail in a Gold Wing. It's silly to take out a big Harley to go around the corner for milk and bread. And this...sure, you can ride the highways with it; but that's not its optimal use.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Considering the TW is also sold with a 250cc in Japan and elsewhere around the world I think we can take the 'guess' part out

Here's a used 250 in Greece: YAMAHA TW 250 1996 Used Moto | ???????? ???? | ??????????????? ???????????? | ???????????? ???????????? | Scooter

Or you can get a 225 imported from Japan: UsedJapaneseBikes.com *++* Item search *++* Exports new and used Japanese bikes, scooters and motorcycles

Adding one more gear isn't going to weigh so much as to break the frame if there are already factory production models with the larger displacements.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I really doubt Yamaha will put another gear into it. This is a 27-year-old design; they've pretty-much abandoned it, engineering-wise. Rear drums? Carburetor? Hey, it's selling...if it can meet emissions regulations, just keep on making it another year.

Given some of the off-the-wall New-School designs we've seen, I fear what they might replace it with. How much plastic and how much electronics. AND, how much more $$$.

Yes, I guess you could put a 225 or 250 Yamaha single into the frame, complete with six speeds. Now, keep in mind, the chassis is very, very light. What makes a Gold Wing or a Harley stable at freeway speeds...a lot of it has to do with weight. Like these scooterpunks who shoehorn 150 gy6 engines into the Ruckus frame...the end result is over-engined, often unstable, has garage-engineering reliability, and is, in the end, completely unsaleable.

Bottom line is: It is what it is. More so than cars, bikes differ based on purposes. You won't hit the trail in a Gold Wing. It's silly to take out a big Harley to go around the corner for milk and bread. And this...sure, you can ride the highways with it; but that's not its optimal use.

Garage mentality lol. Remember the 750 3cyl two stroke. Fastest production bike out of the crate. One problem, the frame felt like spaghetti noodles under you at speed and the tires seemed like bicycle tires compared to todays rubber.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts