TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As of 2015, 6 million people are involved in Geo Cache searches. There are 2.5 million caches worldwide, somewhere... :confused:

In and near Spokane, there are 4,879 of them. :eek: Some of which are within a half a mile of me... :eek:

Interesting?

Here's where you can see what is near you: http://Geocaching.com

You may be surprised!!

Please post here if you find this interesting and find anything!! :D

·
Registered
13,231 Posts
Nice post Littletommy. Geocaching can be so much fun and if you have a GPS, most of the geocaches listed are free.

[h=2]Big Foot Eyes Night Cache (https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC1HM40_big-foot-eyes-night-cache) was my most favorite geocache to find of all time. It was a night cache and we used flashlights to find reflective smiles on trees. You could only see one "smile" from each spot which would lead you from one spot to another. After stumbling our way over and through trees, we came the last spot which had a treasure of night-time related articles to trade.[/h]
Unfortunately, the area had been involved in a couple of forest fires. While the trees which had the reflective smiles didn't get destroyed, thinning the forest removed most of them rendering this great cache mostly not fun anymore. We went back a 2nd time with some of the girls friends. We found most of the trees with the smiles and did find the last one...again, but it wasn't the same. Still, it was the most fun finding a geocache we've ever had.

This is what the "smiles" looked like.

This photo was not us, but it shows the smile when related to people. It was so much fun! This group is holding the ammo can which held the cache contents.

·
Registered
928 Posts
A couple of friends of mine love to geocache. I enjoyed helping them hide the cache boxes, but never got into trying to find them. Interesting hobby.

·
Super Moderator
17,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm slightly disappointed in this thread. I do appreciate everyone who has posted, but I was hoping a few of you out there would at least look on the website to see how many caches might be in your area and at least report back. I was more than a little shocked to see how close some of them were to me...

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
8919 near me according to their intro page.

·
Registered
42 Posts
We tried it awhile back, about a year or so ago. Found a couple near us. Unfortunately we have been too busy to mess with it, and we were pretty bad at it to start with. It is interesting though.......

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
I'm slightly disappointed in this thread. I do appreciate everyone who has posted, but I was hoping a few of you out there would at least look on the website to see how many caches might be in your area and at least report back. I was more than a little shocked to see how close some of them were to me...
It would have been easier for folks here if they did not require you to create an account to look at items located nearby. I signed in anyway and there seems to be about three pages worth within 20 miles of me. Some even as close as a mile. Kinda cool so I may try it sometime.

Tom

·
Registered
13,231 Posts
Here are some caches within approximately 25 miles of me.

From the above and below pictures, I really dislike the caches which are so close together. Usually, they are just a small container with a piece of paper. The purpose for the caches may have meant something to the individual or group who placed them, but to me, they are a waste of time. Typically, they are only about 100 yards or so from one to the other.

When viewed zoomed out you can see some folks were creative, but again I ain't visiting each cache. "Like" for the creativity, "dislike" as a cache!

Note: in the below picture you can see the cache's I found to the left of the train engine by the smiley faces.:)

·
Super Moderator
17,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's rather amazing how they lay them out in a picture. It seems like such a large area too. That takes some planning doesn't it!! :eek:

·
Registered
13,231 Posts
"As I live and breath" file. Just reported today.

Police: Pipe bomb turns out to be geocache container
By Associated Press Thursday, April 28th 2016

BUHL, Idaho (AP) The discovery of a suspected pipe bomb in south-central Idaho that caused the partial lockdown of schools in Buhl and drew the Twin Falls Police Bomb Squad turned out to be a geocache. Twin Falls County Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Lori Stewart says that a high-pressure shot of water on Wednesday burst open the pipe that contained signatures of geocache hunters dating back to 2011.

Geocaches are containers sought by individuals using GPS-enabled devices as a form of recreation. City workers stumbled on the geocache while grading a parking lot and alerted authorities because it resembled a pipe bomb. Buhl Police Sgt. Bill Deetz said it had a realistic look and was found on school property though far from buildings. Until the all clear schools didn't allow students in or out but classes continued as normal.

One has to be careful where they place their caches. Reminds me, last I heard which was from a few years ago, officially the Forest Service discourages geocaching and will remove one if found. Kind of ironic as geocaching will draw visitors to the forest which is what the Forest Service actually wants. Come but don't have fun theory!

·
Registered
98 Posts
I found there are several in the area. The nearest is about 460' from where I live. A couple others are along the beaches and on hiking trails near by. I'll have to look for the near by one. I have already found the two on the grounds where I work.

·
Super Moderator
17,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I found there are several in the area. The nearest is about 460' from where I live. A couple others are along the beaches and on hiking trails near by. I'll have to look for the near by one. I have already found the two on the grounds where I work.
And??? What was in them? :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts