TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Thanks Fred.

Friendly Fred gave me this idea. High power magnet inset into the business end of the tool to minimize fumbling. This particular tool has been sent off to the upcoming 2015 Russ Memorial Rally. You don't want to drop this puppy in the dirt.
:eek: Wiping off all the micro particles will take some time. Gerry

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Gerry,

Now you need to invent an add-on tool that will find the missing nut when it falls inside the engine.

I suppose that's what the magnet is to prevent from happening.

jb

·
Registered
19,198 Posts
Try taping a small rare earth magnet to a zip tie to fish around. I have one made from a magnet the size of a aspirin but half as thin.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
The non magnetic tool price was set by a forum member at $20 shipped. I was happy with that. The magnetic version requires a bit more tooling so I would think $25 shipped would be fair. Send me a personal message instead of posting in this thread. Thanks. Gerry

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Gerry,

I was getting ready to use your non-magnetic version when this went missing.

I tried using a dental mirror and a magnetic probe (in the photo) to no avail.

Here's how I finally found it:

This was not the way I wanted to spend the day before the Turtlepalooza.

I looked for a nylock replacement for the nut but could not find one in local hardware stores.

It's a M6 but with a fine thread pitch...less than 1.0

...while I was in the deconstruction mode, I decided that I would finally replace my stock sprockets and chain.

jb

·
Registered
19,198 Posts
JBFLA, too bad about needing the teardown to find the nut. DanSue would have helped you turn the bike upside-down and given it a good shake to see what fell out. I suppose I was lucky to locate mine with a dental mirror and light, then extract nut with forceps. Another time I used the magnet on flexible zip-tie to fish valve keeper halves from with-in valve spring coils.
Out of curiosity just where was that nut hiding?

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Out of curiosity just where was that nut hiding?
It was down in the recess to the right of the valve spring.

When I removed the cylinder head, it was there in plain sight.

I don't know how I could have missed seeing it with the mirror and magnetic probe...spent a half hour looking, poking, and probing...and cursing at the thought of having to disassemble the engine.

I read about turning the bike upside down...not capable of doing so.

jb

·
Registered
19,198 Posts
Thanks for the correction Daniel, I shall try very hard this weekend to not call you Sue. I am terrible with names but usually good with gender. Unless it is Bruce Jenner..
. Clinton:Jenner.jpg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts