TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I restored the Black Widow last winter I wasn’t sure what gearing to choose. The only sprocket combination I had ever run was the 14/45 which came on my 2006. This combination had always worked well for me as I ride a lot of two lane roads. I installed a stock DID Chain temporarily to experiment with the 14/50. I desided to keep this combination after only clocked 1000 miles on it and today I replaced it with a DID X-Ring Chain. I kept the standard chain clean and lubed but have had to tighten it twice. I laid the chains side by side to get the proper length. The standard chain had stretched one complete link and had started destroying my front sprocket.
Two years ago I put an O-Ring chain on my 2006 after 5000 miles and I also had to replace both sprockets. I have never had to adjust my O-Ring chain.
Don’t waste your money on standard chains and if you are running a standard consider replacing as so as possible.

Notice the difference in size of the chains, the stock chain is a little rough after three hard days of riding in Green Ridge.

00DF96D7-49AF-4085-B4CB-6234A4DE6080.jpeg

·
Registered
343 Posts
I was sceptical, as in "Really, 14hp, how bad can the OEM chain be..?" Then after having to adjust for stretch pretty much every ride, I went o-ring. Several thousand KMs on it and never had to adjust.
Like someone said, "There is no economy in buying a non-oring chain." Or something like that.

And, even if you're willing to adjust stretch every ride, remember as it stretches (wears, really), the spacing is no longer correct to mesh nicely into the sprocket teeth, so that will cause accelerated wear on the sprockets.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I'd see no reason why they would put a better "O" or "X" ring chain on it. Same folks that dropped the kickstarter to give you a front disc brake. Keep costs down and folks are going to buy them anyway.

I changed to an "X" ring with less than 300 miles on it. Part of a sprocket change but even if you weren't doing that the difference between the no-ring chain and the x-ring is day and night. One thing to add is don't measure to match the old chain, and eliminate links to match it. Just make sure you have the same amount/number of links. If you are doing this when the chain is already stretched a lot you may get a false number of links.

And keep you stock chain as an emergency spare if it is not trashed.

Stock original chain. 290 miles. I adjusted it maybe once so it was still in pretty good shape.
IMG_6321.JPG

Stock chain pulling the new X-Ring chain thru.
IMG_6323.JPG

IMG_6324.jpg

The TW is the only motorcycle I own that uses a chain. All others are shaft-drives. I went with chain paste instead of chain oil/grease. So far I've been pretty happy with the product. No more crap flinging off onto the tire.
The chain itself... much more beefier and and obvious much higher quality than the stock DID (it's a DID too).
IMG_6328.jpg

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do any of you here have any experience with Rocky
Mountain ATVs chains?
A couple weeks ago I sent Lauren in Hawaii some chain lube and a brush. I had told her back when she purchased her bike that she would have to maintain her chain and i just knew that wasn’t happening. Well a day before she received the package she called me and said her bike was squeaking. Her chain was the culprit so I ordered her an o-ring chain from Rocky Mountain ATV. The sales person at RMATV said they manufactured there own brand “Primary Drive”. He said there chains had a higher tensile strength then the DID chains used. He told me they had five stars so I bought one, along with a master link chain press and had it sent to Lauren.
Have any of you had any experience with the brand Primary Drive?

·
Super Moderator
18,137 Posts
Reactions: jtomelliott49

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I searched on eBay and found a 122 link D.I.D. x-ring chain from “Parts Giant” for a good price - $69.33 with free shipping.
That’s a deal :thumbsup:

Buy one now and save your existing chain as an emergency backup.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I searched on eBay and found a 122 link D.I.D. x-ring chain from “Parts Giant” for a good price - $69.33 with free shipping.
That sounds about right. I think I paid around $70.00-$72.00 from a vendor on Amazon. Prime member so shipping was free.

IMG_5855.JPG

IMG_5856.JPG

IMG_5858.JPG

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Yeah, it is darn good. I should have added that it does come with the Master Link (C-Clip Type) so you don't have to order another unless you want a spare which is not a bad idea.
If you do order a spare make sure it is specific only to the 428 chain.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,137 Posts
Might not be bulletproof, but it is Cornproof... :D

^^^^^^That's the chain I've been riding with for 2 years, believe me its bullet proof!^^^^^^^^^^^

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I put a DID X Ring chain on around 300-400 miles. Was tightening the stocker after every ride it seemed like. The new chain hasn't stretched enough yet to tighten a notch on the snails.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
My Van Van uses a 520 chain, ( sticking out tongue).

I personally do not test my chains with bullets.

BTW IT IS ONLY WHEN A MOSQUITO LANDS ON YOUR TESTICLES THAT YOU REALIZE THERE IS ALWAYS A WAY TO SOLVE PROBLEMS WITHOUT USING VIOLENCE. This is not a problem. Just stab them with an ice pick.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts