1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
112 Posts
Milennials...... this loser is THE prime example. ...
Hey now, lol. I am 34 and have lived on my own, and with the wife, since i was 17. Went to school full time and worked full time to pay for it, livin in ghetto a$$ apartments. So not all millennials are created equally. But i was also raised on in rural SW OK on a farm, so that probably has something to do with it. When i was able to afford it, bought 30 acres back out in the country, cause i hate town. ;)

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I have to think, how did it go this far? Most of us bring up our kids to be self independent. Starts when they are old enough to be able to understand language. I have to think there is a lot that is not said about parenting here. I know it is getting harder all the time with the pressures that society is putting on our younger generations, but it comes down to the choices we make.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
I'm also thinking the real problem was with the parents. I was not the perfect father by any means but when the kids started threatening to leave, I told them all, "It's a one way door, move out, you're not moving back". Easy to say but hard to follow. My son ended up sleeping in an old van parked in a field. He then joined the Army.:D They all learned the hard way, but they did learn.

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm also thinking the real problem was with the parents. I was not the perfect father by any means but when the kids started threatening to leave, I told them all, "It's a one way door, move out, you're not moving back". Easy to say but hard to follow. My son ended up sleeping in an old van parked in a field. He then joined the Army.:D They all learned the hard way, but they did learn.

A must watch.. ;)

Reactions: scotti158

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Coddle your kids and you will ruin them.

I wean my kids and I told them “I’m not your fall back position”
A fallback is ok if you do like xracer. Life happens and it just sucks sometimes but it is great to get a helping hand from family. Gratitude and work goes a long way for a pleasant experience. Also it should be temporary unless your aging parents end up wanting you around.

·
Registered
112 Posts
My 8 year old just started taking care of the chickens in the morning today. He has other chores, but his first real one that will have consequences if he screws it up. Mostly waited this long on the chickens, cause Coyotes, Bobcats, etc make meals of them when we are not home.

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I bet he turns the job down.

Reactions: admiral

·
Registered
20,494 Posts
Gee, maybe I could have a future too as a Motivational Speaker. :p

Reactions: JerseyJeeper

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I don't get it. At 17 the rule in my house was you go nowhere until you graduate. Graduation was June 22 and I flew the coop on June 25th. never to return. It was like a right of passage and total disgust with that basic claim my father drove home, "As long as you are living under my roof you live by my rules"! It was tough to say the least with flop apartments with buddies who all had the same plans and then a stint in the USN where I got more rules shoved up the other end but was able to grow up. I still don't get it and one of my buddies I shared the early apartments with has a grown daughter now 39 years old with 4 kids and still living with him because she can't make it on her own and has horrible taste in bad boy men.

This 30 year old slug would have been gone a long time living under my roof simply because he would have had a miserable existence working for food and shelter.

GaryL

Reactions: JerseyJeeper
1 - 20 of 24 Posts