TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a 2007 until earlier this year and while it was a good bike I really never bonded with it. Well I guess I will try again. I came across a deal to good to pass on a 2012 with 750 miles. The bike is improved in a lot of subtle ways and I do like it better. I still don't love the bike but it does serve as a good commuter and it does have some things I really like. The new dash layout if very good with gear indicator, fuel, average MPG, freeze alert, clock etc...

The motor is dependable if not a little shy on power. I would appreciate 20 more hp.

Anyway, life is full of compromises and for me not having a loan is attractive.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well get a tdub for sure! I am not getting rid of mine... Is the DL650 just too boring?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't dislike the bike and I do think the new one 2012+ is better looking and is in general improved over the 2011 and earlier. It is not exactly a super fun bike. I compare it to an F800GS and it is not THAT bike. More like a Honda Accord of bikes. It is not a true adventure bike and that is its biggest fault.

However, it will last a long time, gets good MPG 55+ etc.

I am pretty skewed working at a dealer with BMW and Ducati etc. So its all relative.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hmm, this is interesting. I was thinking of a wee strom. I know it's loved for its claw hammer utility, but I don't see riders express a passion for it.
I need to do more research.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you do get a 2012+. The changes warrant it for sure. I am turing it into a bike that I really like. I added some protaper fat bars with risers, pivot pegs, peg lowering, tall seat etc. Now it fits more like a true adventure bike. Used 2012 bikes can be had for 6000-6500 and that is a good deal for the bike. I will have a couple of grand more in mine but still a good deal.

Here is a new review
2013 650 Twins Shootout - Motorcycle USA

·
Registered
124 Posts
Good article - thanks! How is it on the highway? Squirrelly or stable? Looking for another gear? Or cylinder?
My friend had an older v-strom 1000 but it never turned me on- the 650, however had 'something' but I've never tried one.
The new 1000 that's coming looks cool 'cept for those red wheels in the pictures but then I would be getting into more expense which may force me to give up one of my beloveds. (Yikes)
Anyhow, I am going to go take a peek at the dealer this week and see what they have in DL650s.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Its a very good all arounder for the $. It can catch wind gusts near semis but pretty stable. It is very good on the highway for its class. At least as good as a BMW f8000GS but not as good as say a R1200RT. It's not problem to ride along at 75 or 80 however.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Its a very good all arounder for the $. It can catch wind gusts near semis but pretty stable. I is very good on the highway for its class. At least as good as a BMW f8000GS but as good as say a R1200RT. Its not problem to ride along at 75 or 80 however.
I'm guessing you meant to say *not* as good as a R1200RT?

Just out of curiosity, what pushed you towards the 650 Strom instead of the 1000? It seems like the price point on used ones isn't that far apart, at least around here.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks for catching my typos! I fixed them. Well to be honest I only got the new Vstrom since I work at a dealership and it was a trade. It had 750 miles on it and the price was too good to pass. In my signature you can see I had a 2007 Vstrom also. I bought it to have a bike with ABS that would not break the bank. I never loved it however. The wind turbulence was awful and the only solution was a barn door windscreen. Above all it was no fun to ride.

All of that sounds negative but the new bike is a pleasant surprise. The narrower reshaped fairings and front are much better for wind turbulence and the new dash is very good giving the rider the right info in am easy to read display. There is a lot of aftermarket support and I am making subtle changes making to more like a true adventure bike. Above all it has been fun. As mentioned its a pretty good bike to chomp away at the miles too. I have not ridden the 1000 but the 650 seems to be a more popular bike. The 1000 also shares the same issues as the old 650 and it would not interest me.

Both the 1000 and 650 have proven to be reliable bikes but the 1000 does have a clutch shutter issue which can be fixed. One guy on the Vstrom forum just passed 300k on his!

·
Registered
566 Posts
In my opinion, you're allowed typos at 0500 hours, but this still amuses me. Sorry.
Thanks for catching my typos! If fixed them...

Thanks for the thead on the bike -- good discourse as I would like an adventure bike ... someday.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh crap. There are even more in that last post. I will try harder, I will try harder, I...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts