TW200 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am a new rider, been riding for a few months now. looking to get into dual sport riding with mates. Whilst looking at beginner options and learner approved bikes I stumbled across the TW200 and fell in love. Problem is, I can't find one ANYWHERE in Australia, new or used. Wondering if any other aussies have had the same problem and have a solution; maybe importing or easiest way to find an older used model?
Thanks for the help

Registered
Hello Australia from Idaho, USA. Looks like the closest thing to a TW200 in Australia is the Ag200F. Seems to have the same engine, but appears to be ag use only. Maybe off road use ok? Have you called your local Yamaha dealer?

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Australia from Idaho, USA. Looks like the closest thing to a TW200 in Australia is the Ag200F. Seems to have the same engine, but appears to be ag use only. Maybe off road use ok? Have you called your local Yamaha dealer?
Hello! thank you for the reply. I was planning to hit up the dealers tomorrow and investigate my options. I've seen the AGM options and they do seem pretty similar, but I'm not a massive fan. If the TW200 is going to be too hard to get a hold of I would probably look at some other dual sports like the xt250 or the klx250 as I've heard they're still fun and light bikes to go off road on.

Registered
XT250 is a great option,
FI and Disc breaks,
A little more power than TW,
TW has a certain "soul" that XT does not,
XT is probably all around more versatile.

Registered
Hi damo, Im in QLD and I have a tw, you can find them. However they stopped importing them in the early 2000s, and they wont bring them in now since abs came mandatory. So you have to be content with an older one, but since they hardly changed, if you get a nice one it will be just as good as new. Now your next problem is people taking advantage of their rarity. Used prices can be over the top, and I refuse to pay silly prices. The other problem is the cafe racer crowd. They love them! There was even a business importing tw225s from japan and then customising them. They come up for sale every now and then. Expect no airbox, low pipe and extended swingarm.

Mine is a "rescued" custom. I converted back to stock as best i could, although i had some limitations with a cut frame. I only wanted an off roader, so all good for me. You just need to be patient and one will come up.

However, all dirt bikes are fun. Those other bikes will do just fine too!

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
XT250 is a great option,
FI and Disc breaks,
A little more power than TW,
TW has a certain "soul" that XT does not,
XT is probably all around more versatile.
Hi damo, Im in QLD and I have a tw, you can find them. However they stopped importing them in the early 2000s, and they wont bring them in now since abs came mandatory. So you have to be content with an older one, but since they hardly changed, if you get a nice one it will be just as good as new. Now your next problem is people taking advantage of their rarity. Used prices can be over the top, and I refuse to pay silly prices. The other problem is the cafe racer crowd. They love them! There was even a business importing tw225s from japan and then customising them. They come up for sale every now and then. Expect no airbox, low pipe and extended swingarm.

Mine is a "rescued" custom. I converted back to stock as best i could, although i had some limitations with a cut frame. I only wanted an off roader, so all good for me. You just need to be patient and one will come up.

However, all dirt bikes are fun. Those other bikes will do just fine too!
View attachment 207327
Hi Roost, cheers for the reply and the explanation! I'll keep my eye open for a decent deal. What would you believe a fair price range to be? And if I tried to convert a modified bike back to stock how easy/expensive is it in terms of sourcing original parts?
Thanks again for the reply!

Registered
Hi Damo, the asking prices for bikes at the moment seem to include a "covid tax", so probably best to be a bit patient. Before this mess a reasonable one was about $2,500. Custom ones advertise around 5 (but no buyers). Most that come up, though, are worn out farm bikes, and they will be a project. My latest (I bought on the weekend) is one of those. Its very rough though. There is one with the covid tax on sale on gumtree. Ridiculus price.

Sourcing parts is not bad, as most are available new from a yamaha dealer. However there are almost none available second hand, which means its hard to save money. Sometimes I get used bits from overseas. Best to get a complete bike, not a custom one. The craze is over pretty much, and the parts they pulled off to make those have gone. I found a bike a customiser had finished with, and it was a long term project. I have a thread in here "from custom to stock opinions" if you like to see how i went.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts