TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Part #1:

After Six Months of owning/soft riding my 2014 t~dub I have decided to make some changes in my lifestyle that would allow this 65 year old body to get out and ride some serious dual sport riding next Season.....

After my check up at the VA in Columbus last month, my blood work came back as I suspected...somewhat high Cholesterol levels{total 266/Bad 160} and borderline Hgb Blood Sugar being elevated....weight was up to 195...now this is nothing compared to my competition weight lifting days...I was 220 and had High Blood Pressure and was pre diabetic by the time I got my head out of my backside...I dropped down to 183 and felt pretty good, albeit by my 63rd birthday I was in the Hospital for Carotid Artery surgery...nice BD Present:dispirited:...since that time I have been back and forth on the Healthy/Unhealthy line...still working out and officiating umpiring upwards of 200 High School and College Contests per year, I try to stay in good condition, but you can't stop Mother Nature and Father Time...but you can try to put them a bay for a few more years...

I no longer weight lift in any competitive form{like my younger 59 yr old cousin}: Houseworth: Powerlifting Champ Next Door | The Community Post

But I still hit the lighter weights and walk, along with my running up and down football fields in Autumn, basketball courts Winter, and baseball fields in the Spring and Summer...BUT that's not enough.....so back from the Vietnam Reunion in Kokomo, I began anew....a more healthy diet, less fat, less Red Meat, fewer Cigars and less{but not quiting to be sure} Beer...

So here I go....already down to 189{first time below 190 since Summer of 2011} and with more energy than just a week ago, I am ready, willing, and hopefully able, to get down to 175 and get into a climbing and incline walking{at my age, running IMO is useless and harmful} regiment to be ready to rumble on the TW for the Long Haul next season as a 66 year old....wish me luck, I'm gonna need it, but will keep periodic posting on the progress....If it doesn't Kill Me! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
656 Posts
If you have dogs, work and walk(get yank/pulled by them) even if they get enough exercise on their own. There isn't a bone in my body that hasn't taken a hit over the years and plenty of arthritis. I make my own walking sticks. Helps with artificial parts. We all deteriorate over time, but can't let time determine for us how we attempt at least to live our lives. In my case it's motorcycles that aren't quite as powerful or heavy as in the past. Also, I now use an hydraulic log splitter almost as much as a maul. Take care and may you have fair weather flying.

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
Ambitious, noble and worthy goals there Hoot. It ain't easy getting back in shape, especially the diet sacrifices. But you seem to have the determination and discipline to make it happen. And the 'it", adventure touring, need not be that strenuous if you take it easy with moderate daily goals. Shucks, the TW seat would chase me out of the saddle after a hundred miles or so anyways. Glad to hear of your plans, go for it.

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Believe me MK, I eat well, no fried foods, eat butter, fruits, veggies, chicken, fish, and plenty of Pork, along with Red Meat....but...I have reduced it to 2000 calories and less than 150 carbs per day, even with the beers, and that seems to work, plenty of workout time, and officiating....BUT, I'm still 65 1/2 and have the family history....saying that, compared to the way most 65 age folks live, I'm in pretty good shape....BUt{another BUT}, you still have to work at it....;)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Believe me MK, I eat well, no fried foods, eat butter, fruits, veggies, chicken, fish, and plenty of Pork, along with Red Meat....but...I have reduced it to 2000 calories and less than 150 carbs per day, even with the beers, and that seems to work, plenty of workout time, and officiating....BUT, I'm still 65 1/2 and have the family history....saying that, compared to the way most 65 age folks live, I'm in pretty good shape....BUt{another BUT}, you still have to work at it....;)
Awesome!! Good to hear... With your workout and training history I figured you knew a thing or two about how to eat! :) I started primal/paleo eating 2 1/2 years ago after I unexpectedly lost my mother to cancer. The restricted food choices took effort and discipline which gave me something to focus on besides dwelling on the tragic loss. I'm not 100% at sticking to it but I stay pretty close. It's definitely leaned me up. I try to avoid wheat as much as possible....except in beer of course! :p

Keep us posted and keep at it!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Just keep on keeping, and somewhere I read that beer was the "staff of life", or was it "the stuff of life?" Maybe just in my imagination.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Good Luck! I have worked out my entire life, born the son of a wrestling coach and went from there....
I started working out with kettle bells 3 months ago and love it, good functional strength for everyday life. Check out onnit.com (I'm in no way affiliated, just like their products and free videos.....) I couple the bells with cycling, skiing, hiking etc.
I hit 50 this year and can for sure tell the body is turning on me like a mongoose......

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
If you go to a gym hit the rowing machine. It works the entire body and combined with some kettleballs makes for a complete workout. Just don't over do it and end up puking on the carpet.

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you go to a gym hit the rowing machine. It works the entire body and combined with some kettleballs makes for a complete workout. Just don't over do it and end up puking on the carpet.
Loved the Electronic Rowing Machine at our Racquet Club back in the middle to late 90s....buddy and I used to do hours on that sucker, then hit the treadmill....both in our late 40s we managed to run the Chicago Marathon in 1998....or at least walk and run the 26 miles....we finished and that's my story and sticking to it!:eek: Won't say how long it took, and I gained a new appreciation for those that do this on a regular basis....I loved weight lifting, but Marathons were a different animal all together...

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Keep us posted on your route plans. Im sure you know this but working out and building muscle will burn fat quicker than just doing cardio. Doing both is ideal. 15 years ago I placed 6th in the country at the high school powerllifting nationals in Fort Worth Texas in the 132lb class and won state 2 or 3 years in a row. I guess I have alot in common with your neighbor/cousin. I used to have a few bench press and deadlift state records. I still workout but gave up on the powerlifting long ago . Its hard on the ol body

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
November Update:

6 Weeks into my "Hoot Gets in Shape for 66 years and the 2015 Adventure Ride" ....I have this update....

Finished my football season on Saturday, now will take a couple of weeks off before Basketball Season begins....I have dropped down to 186 pounds as of this morning....meaning I am at my lowest weight since May of 2010....and this in comparison to my competitive weight lifting days{Old Farts Division} when I topped out at 225 back in 1998...back in the weight room{my basement} 5 days a week, working various groups...but no longer doing the heavy weight...more reps. I have also topped off the treadmill at the #12 incline{as high as it gets in that mode} for 15 minutes 3 or 4 times a week in addition to my regular treadmill/street walking{? sic}....

So, all-in-all it's going great guns and if I don't break something I should be more than ready by Moab in March 2015.....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
My wife started the T-25 program and talked me into trying it.It does not use any weights and only last 25 minutes but it sure kicked my butt. If my knees don't give out I'll try it again when the pain goes away.

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After years of spending time and money at the Lake Front Racquet Club....where I spent as much time in the bar as the weight room and workout center....I finally said the Hell with it about 2000 and bought my own stuff and moved it down to the old basement...by old I mean my place is a Church Parsonage that was built back in 1923, the basement has remained much the same as it was 90 years ago, used for the washer, dryer, dry food storage, and beef/meat freezer, storage of my grandmother's antiques...and due to the humidity I store cigars down here as well....otherwise I place the weight center in two areas, and this is where I spend a few hours a week, trying to 'stay young' and fight off Father Time: Meanwhile I do my Treadmilling upstairs in the off living room where I spent the last hour walking and watching "Red River" on Encore Western Channel....treadmills are boring as Hell, and you need a distraction, old westerns and film noir' are just that....

Basement Workout 004.JPG Basement Workout 006.JPG Basement Workout 008.JPG

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
Looking good there Hoot, yer well on your way to becoming our physical fitness poster boy. I was planning on just sucking in my gut next year but maybe instead should follow your example ( minus the cigars ).

1 - 20 of 76 Posts