TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to shed the tool shed, and get back into a shape that's not round. I am physically active at work most days but need more cardio for sure. I plan on doing more technical riding and wanted to ask whats all your go to routine (if any). About the only thing I do after work is walk the dog around the block. I plan to hit the jump rope and exercise bike more. I even quit the beers after work during the week. What do some of you riders do that helps you get into moto shape?
I should make this a sort of blog to stay on course that way if I slip you guys can keyboard slap me to stay focused :D

Thanks for any tips!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I was cycling to work every day and then hitting the Gym twice a week, but since I got the VStrom I have been riding it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do need to push away from the table more, but I do like my food. I'll be 46 this year and believe it or not, at 6-1 300lbs I still played pick up hockey and can hold my own. Even losing 15lbs I noticed a big difference.
Just have to get rid of the gut mainly. I shed a lot of weight years ago but I was running everyday and had to eat like a rabbit. Not going that crazy again. I have some old injuries that would benefit from getting more exercise also.
Smitty nailed it, I am an active guy who has to tinker or do something, but it's finding the motivation to just get my fat ass going.

On that note, i'm off to jog a bit! :walk: thanks guys!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Eating is how I cut weight. Eat more good stuff, eat no bad stuff. I don't miss the bad stuff anymore.
My grocery bill spiked when we started eating good. When the bod started getting enough nutrition the waist lines went down the portions sizes went down and the grocery bill did too. Freed up more money for oil and park plugs.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
At my age the key to exercise is Low Impact. Running/jogging sucks but swimming and riding a mountain bike seems to work best and especially if the shape you want is for riding the TW. Swimming uses almost all the muscle groups at very low impact while riding a bicycle can be very beneficial and crosses over to the MC.

GaryL

·
Registered
113 Posts
Mudd's got the right idea! As a competitive strength athlete, I can personally attest to the fact that whatever physical change you're aiming for (building muscle, losing fat, etc.) is determined by 75% diet and 25% exercise. Your diet has MUCH more of an influence on your weight loss success than your activity levels do. If you start exercising regularly but the diet stays the same, the results won't come.

So certainly try to get more moderate exercise on a regular basis, but more importantly cut back on those calories! Limiting dairy (milk and cheese), processed grain (bleached flour breads, pastas, etc.) and processed sugars will help tremendously. Best of luck!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Being in fair shape is good and if I compare to my mountain bike days I will tell you that even an occasional older heavy guy would out ride me in technical terrain,
No matter your shape falling sucks and you may get hurt,
Ide recommend that you spend time going really slow and working on your bike, Sit waaayyy forward on the seat and do figure 8s and if you have a yard or a place to play, Set up a low speed trials type of course and practice and get to know your bike,
Going back to my mountain bike days,
While there was this one older guy who was like a ballerina, Ide been riding for so many years and miles I was able to out ride most as I know my bike,
On the TW in slippery stuff I will let the rear do all kinds of sideways things and I just keep going, when a lot of folks in the same position would put a foot down and break an ankle,
So lift weights, Run or dance, BUT ensure you're comfortable on your bike and know its capabilities and yours and try and stay within them,
Practice will keep you safer than 100 push ups a day!
Enjoy the ride!
Peter B

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Exactly what I needed to hear, thanks guys. Another mnt bike is in the near future, there are plenty of hills around here that are perfect for it and I am all for low impact. Also dusting off the cobwebs on the nautilus gym that I need to use WAY more. Changed up the diet and will dial it in some more as time goes. I actually bought a bag of apples instead of chips or jerky.
I even have access to private property with a small track not to far from home that I can practice on, got it all, just need to get going!

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I used the term "Mountain Bike" because that is what our bicycles are. I never said to go off road in rough terrain as a means of Low Impact exercise. We ride our bikes on the back roads and for every hill or mountain we go down the flip side is peddling back up. A 4 mile ride around here is enough of a work out for us but certainly not a technical challenge. Swimming up stream in my favorite river swimming hole is the best because I can work all of my muscle groups and never go much more than 20 feet from where I start right into the current. I know when my lower back starts acting up the best cure for it is swimming in the cold river with fins and working the kinks out.

GaryL

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I am down 10 lbs so far. I had one of the best rides in my life on my BW200 into Rubicon Springs from the Tahoe side. I was a bit skeptical after everyone said I was nuts and was going to be so sore that I would never do it again. And these guys were in way better shape than I am in. Only needed a hand on one steep section coming back out due to it being slippery, but made the rest with no problem and had a blast. I heard "YOU! rode that in here!" a lot that weekend.
Thanks for all the helpful tips, I really appreciate the feedback!

Couple photos from the ride.

IMG_5626.JPG

IMG_5657.JPG

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
I'm a low carb dieter and I keep it simple 20 carbs a day. I just lost 17 lbs in 5 weeks without starving. Check out. [video]Carb-counter.org[/video]
I use to be a beer drinking fat man... Quit 9 years ago and now it's easier to keep the weight off. Although I do miss getting "TunedUp" once in awhile. :(

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Got any back,hip,knee,shoulder problems? If so be care full not to screw them up further. Go to a gym and talk to a good trainer. They can get you started on a program that will give results with out the risk of further damage.
Take it from some one who had to learn the hard way. My ego thinks I'm still in my 20's not my late 50's.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
If you are going to get a mountain bike for fitness, I would suggest getting a 29 inch wheel one.
I have 4 bicycles and my favorite is my Norco Shanobi 29er. It is great on the pavement, gravel roads and trails that do not require a tight turning radius.
The suspension can be locked out so it is very efficient on pavement - as easy to ride on pavement as my Kona Dew Delux.
I added a drop post and ergonomic seat. Just finished a 20 km ride to the lake and back for a swim, 40% pavement and the rest gravel road.
The beers were starting to show.

·
Registered
54 Posts
It all depends on your metabolism and your desire to lose weight.
I have never had a weight gain problem but I started working out about 20
years ago,I enjoy it .People are always saying im at the gym.I tell them
I don't have a life .If you want to lose weight you have to make the time
to do it.Everyone has time to do what they like.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts