TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found out I'm being furloughed at the end of this month. The upshot is I'll have more time to ride until the end of July. Anyone in the Athens Tennessee area want to get together? I'll be up there the second week of June. J.B. you in?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Sorry to hear about your furlough. Glad to hear you're putting a positive spin on it! Riding a TW fixes everything!

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
......I'll be up there the second week of June. J.B. you in?
Hi X, Right now, the wife and I are taking the virus business seriously, and self isolating.

We're in the high risk group, and if we get infected, it will likely kill us.

Still hope to get to NC sometime during the summer. Will have to see how things progess.

jb

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any one want to poke around Tellico Plains? I'd like to find some forest service roads in that area.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I do!

If I can get the wife to think it's safe to travel.
And if you stay 6 feet away....:rolleyes:

You know I've been riding those forest service roads around Tellico Plains for years.

Are you going to get Mrs X to ride on the gravel again? :)

jb

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is the plan. I think if we can stay away from deep gravel or mud she will be OK.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm thinking the Joe Brown highway would be a great trip for her.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Yes, pretty easy. She just needs to get used to the bike moving around under her.

The end of Joe Brown is about 5 miles from my cabin.

You can ride from Tellico Plains to the cabin on forest service roads, except for a few stretches of pavement.

There are quite a few forest service roads on my side of the mountain (NC), but it would be a long ride back to your place (TN).

Star Mountain might be closer to you.

jb

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We bought a detailed map of Tennessee.Problem is the print is so small even with my glasses I can't read it! Anyone know where I can get a small microscope that can handle being bounced around?

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That may work if it's 20 power or so.Funny thing is the print on the cover is a much larger font.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I'm a paper map guy myself. I use the US Forest Service maps at the kitchen table using my 2.0 reading glasses and a hand magnifier... ;)

I recently bought a used android phone to use as a GPS but am not very proficient using it....still trying to figure out gpx tracks... :rolleyes:

Also I'm not sure how effective it will be. Many of the Forest service roads have a thick tree canopy over them, and I don't get a signal on my cheap Garmin GPS.

Take a look at some of the Forest Service downloadable PDF maps:

Here is a screen shot of Star Mountain:
You can see Tellico Plains in the upper right.

Screen Shot 2020-05-22 at 3.49.18 PM.png

jb

·
Registered
458 Posts
There are about three times more gravel roads in that area of Star Mountain than what shows on that map. You might want to consider a GPS tablet and Google maps. You can download the maps locally to the tablet so it can still work as a map without a GPS Signal.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Hi GapRunr,

Are you still in Friendsville?
Been quite a while since I was at your shop.

BTW, I bought a cheap android tablet and downloaded a few offline Google maps...... I think I might be past my prime to learn how to use it...:rolleyes:
jb

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
X,

Here's a another screen shot of the dirt/gravel roads in the area I ride.

We have ridden together on some of them.

Screen Shot 2020-05-23 at 11.12.37 AM.png

If you get a chance, check out some of the maps on Browse Gravel Routes - Gravelmap (listed by state).

jb

1 - 16 of 16 Posts