TW200 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I had the dub out the other night and found some awesome new trails - always a feat where I live. My buddy on his tw and I ride in them for about an hour and head out. As soon as we hit the road I realize something is off and come to realize my clutch is gone.
So I limp her home at a top speed of around 25 before it slops so bad it feels like a total loss of power.
I ordered my new clutch stuff the other day and decided to open her up today.
It looks like the plates melted into a pool of horrible stuff on the bottom of the case and I right away realized that I needed to order a new gasket too.
When I pulled the cover off two washers fell...and idea where they go? I have a manual but thought I'd ask before looking through blurry pictures.
Anyhow I am taking this opportunity to do a few things like valves etc and get her up and running.

image.jpg

image.jpg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More pics of the cover please, can't tell what we're looking at.
Not sure but let's see if this is any better.

image.jpg

This is the rock hard sludge in the bottom

image.jpg

The 2 washers that fell out...their size makes it look like they go around the kick start shaft.
image.jpg

Hope those help a little bit.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
So ,your clutch "just failed " ,was it do too oil deprivation, age of the clutch or???????.................. . Less than experienced wrench'ers want to know . TIA

·
Registered
19,578 Posts
Too bad, wonder what happened. First thoughts are about quality and quantity of oil in your bike. Fortunately the rebuild should be fairly straight forward. Good luck, you should be back on trail soon.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update:
The blob in the bottom appears to be some type of liquid weld - looks like there is damage to the cover that wasn't evident from the outside (now it is but eh). I sanded it down a bit and it should be ok I hope.

Clutch failure:
My bike is a '92 with 7500 miles showing - I have had it for 2 months - so clutch age etc its a question I can't answer. I thought it was close to needing to get done (cable adjustments were pretty far out and clutch was pretty grabby only at the very end of the lever).

Oil should have been ok - I am hoping it was just age and needed to get done - prob doesn't help that I have been riding it pretty hard since I got it.

New clutch came today - I'm going to install it and do valves etc - I'll let everyone know how it comes out -

Thanks for all the input

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update 2:
I have the new clutch in and working as I think it should. Now that I have some new knowledge I suspect that maybe I didn't need a new clutch after all. The freeplay adjustment way way out like it came loose. Perhaps I could have just fixed that but to be honest I did not know what it was. Anyhow for about $75 total I have a new clutch and springs, properly adjusted valves a few new gaskets and a new tool ( had to get a feeler gauge) and a backup clutch since I think the old one was ok.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts