TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just another day exploring roads, mines and geocache's around the Silver City, Idaho area.

First stop was a cache on one of the old mining roads

Successfully found

My cache helper

Then I headed to Thomas Lake, Thomas Falls and a nearby cache

Georgie skinny dipping again

Thomas Falls above the lake

Listed as a lake, it's more the size of a pond in my book

A little ice in the shaded area of the lake

to be continued

·
Registered
13,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Odd color's in/on the lake. Wonder if it is runoff from mine tailings

Me and Georgie at one of the original building sites at the Ghost Ranch. Suppose to be a cache here. I couldn't find it. It was last found in 2011

A few hundred yards away is the newer Ghost Ranch Cabin. Watch out for Sally!!!
More info on the Ghost Ranch at the geocache website: GCQ1JP Ghost Ranch (Traditional Cache) in Idaho, United States created by Gary & Margie

This ranch is part of the Owyhee Homestead Series of geocache's. I've been to a few so far this year (Crutcher Crossing, Bull Basin, Birch Creek)

Old/New. Rode by an old mine which appears to be in the process of being re-mined

"Silver Falcon Mining"

more to come

·
Registered
13,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On down the main War Eagle Mtn road, I explored some more old mine area's

Recently read an article which mentioned there were 82 stamp mills in the Silver City area in the late 1800's
Here is the foundation of one of them

Part of the stamp mill off to the side of the above foundation

This foundation extended further out and you can see the mine tailing piles

At another site while heading back to the rig. Unfortunately my camera ran out of memory (just like me)
but this cabin/mine had a sluice box running out of it to the back from the hillside. Wish I could have gotten
a photo to show you

Well, this ended another day long adventure in the Silver City area. Lots of things I have yet to see so I'll be back many times.

Have a great day.

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
As I have said before, I am very jealous! Thanks for sharing.

I may skip testing the handle bar mount............I liked the way you switched back and forth from helmet cam to tank cam.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
indeed, another successful chapter in that book

·
Registered
602 Posts
Awesome awesome awesome! And where do you find those songs!? I used to go to Idaho every year for about three months. Idaho City, Baumgartner, etc. And the Owyhees. May have ridden some of those roads. Thanks for the video, from one dog person to another.

·
Registered
395 Posts
another quality chapter in the Admiral's adventures.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Lots of interesting stuff on this ride. I especially like the find of the stamp mill parts. That was cool. The Homestead series of caches is also cool. I've enjoyed each one you've been to. I'll have to spend a little more time on the geocaching web site to see if I can find something similar around here. Great job with the video, I really enjoyed it. Thanks for taking us along.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I worked at the banner mine when I was riding a motorcycle across the us.
jus a little north of silver city. We were reopening it and the stuf I found was great.
mike

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
i didn't get a chance to watch the video at first glance..... and then i was disappointed there was no sound track.... until wait for it.... ugly dogs and ugly men?? i laughed so hard my cat jumped up.

though i think i heard georgie bark.... even she knows she a good looking mutt!

·
Registered
13,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You should write a book on all the places you go Admiral with stories and pictures. I bet it would be a success.
Way too much work in writing a book. I'm lazy... when it comes to writing:p

There is something to be said for the idea. There are many good trail/adventure post's here on the forum, but they get buried way back.

·
Registered
13,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As I have said before, I am very jealous! Thanks for sharing.

I may skip testing the handle bar mount............I liked the way you switched back and forth from helmet cam to tank cam.
I ran into a 2 camera problem on a Boise Front ride with Ron. My batteries died on the tank camera near the end of the ride going down the curvy paved Bogus Basin road and down the pretty Harrison Blvd with all the colorful tree's. Forgot I had the helmet camera, oops!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
13,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Beautiful area and excellent ride report.
It is a neat area. This year I've kind of re-discovered the Silver City area, in part thanks to geocaching. Before my riding skills improved, I stuck to the easy (car accessible) roads to the Silver City area. Now that I've "discovered more...winter moves in!

·
Registered
13,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Awesome awesome awesome! And where do you find those songs!? I used to go to Idaho every year for about three months. Idaho City, Baumgartner, etc. And the Owyhees. May have ridden some of those roads. Thanks for the video, from one dog person to another.
All good area's, that's for sure. I hope to get a few rides in next year around the Baumgartner/Atlanta area. I haven't ridden in this area much and there is lots of history here too.

·
Registered
13,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
another quality chapter in the Admiral's adventures.
Though a ways from the Dallas area, I wish I would have had my TW when I was in the El Paso/Las Cruces area. Love desert riding.

·
Registered
13,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Lots of interesting stuff on this ride. I especially like the find of the stamp mill parts. That was cool. The Homestead series of caches is also cool. I've enjoyed each one you've been to. I'll have to spend a little more time on the geocaching web site to see if I can find something similar around here. Great job with the video, I really enjoyed it. Thanks for taking us along.
Near the stamp mill was an old mine entrance complete with orr cart tracks, which I've posted before. I was dissappointed to discover it no longer exists. Don't know if mother nature took her toll, or if it was distroyed/blocked on purpose. I did see some of the old orr cart tracks piled up nearby.

Here is the photo from several years ago. You can see the main War Eagle roadbed above the entrance. This is the part gone.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts