TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few times, we have ventured out in less-than ideal weather patterns and had to hunker down among a grove of trees or whatnot, to wait out the passing storm.
I've always thought it would be great to have some sort of packable shelter that one could deploy fairly quickly, that would provide cover for both the TW and a couple of riders.
I was going to design something along those lines, but I figured I could poll the audience and see if anyone has already gone down this path.

I'm not talking about an overnight thing that I can pitch a tent under...just a small canopy of sorts...possibly, but not necessarily self-supporting...what do you say?

·
Registered
19,597 Posts
I've hunkered down inside a simple poncho locking out wind and rain, broken out the stove and made hot hypothermia fighting soup in a moment of need. Fine for solo but doesn't shelter the bike or buddies.
For a larger shelter something like a modern synthetic tarp as Buellzebub suggests makes sense, with a waterproof stuff bag to carry the wet mess home. Drape over bikes & hide underneath for a quick break or get wet stringing up a more elaborate overhead. Something medium sized like this perhaps might work for a pair of bikes and riders. All depends if one is looking for more of a survival vs. social gathering shelter.
MIER-Waterproof-Hammock-Rain-Fly-Lightweight-Tent-Tarp-Camping-Backpacking-Tarp-Shelter-6-Stak...jpg

·
Registered
19,597 Posts
One could count on the TWs to help support the overhead with a rectangular tarp but other other shapes can work like a parawing which supposedly stake out better, flap less in the wind , drain better and I imagine would work well in forested British Columbia. with just brust to tie to rather than stakes. In the southwest these need poles and stakes but can give vitally needed shade. Those I've interviewed advised getting the biggest one possible . However wind has always been my nemesis with rectangular cuts and they give a surprisingly small sheltered rain proof area.

Parawing:
parawing.jpg

·
Registered
19,597 Posts
Something better than a helmet turned on its side would be nice to sit on when the overhead is not very tall. Add a folding stool to the load out?
Stool-Chair-Fold-Fishing-Foldable-Portable-Fish-Mate-Ultralight-Chairs_86fd11db-a4f4-4bee-a536...jpg

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Something better than a helmet turned on its side would be nice to sit on when the overhead is not very tall. Add a folding stool to the load out? View attachment 203260
Haha...I already have one of those!

Maybe something like this?

Seriously though...maybe this: Kalolary 62 Inch Extra Oversize Large Compact Golf Umbrella,Double Canopy Vented Windproof Waterproof Stick Umbrellas for Women & Men, Umbrellas - Amazon Canada considering how small it gets! You could easily slip two of these into a backpack...

·
Registered
19,597 Posts
Golf umbrellas can also be good to hide under, plus when you sit on the ground they can really block the wind .

·
Registered
211 Posts
Yeah, I'm thinking of some sort of nylon or silnylon tarp...but the "frame" needs to be very packable.
Again, nothing fancy...just somewhere to hunker down for a half-hour or so.
What about something similar to those pop up tents: Cape Union Pop Up Three Person Tent
That you cut open on the bottom and just pitch it over yourself and the bike, I'm sure that there are lots of similar tents available in the US & Canada. Just need to make supports for the tent to attach to the bike and off you go.

·
Registered
835 Posts
12 foot kelty or rei tarp. Just need 2 elevated points like a tree and the tw and two other points tie to the ground. Literally a lifesaver for us in a boundary waters storm. Coming from alaska I thought id seen everything the weather could throw at you. I was wrong. Minnesota of all places humbled me.

Sent from my LML211BL using Tapatalk
The tarps are like 70 dollars and are really well made. Not worth monkey#?(#!#& around for an inferior product. They come in a nice stuff sack and weigh less than 2 lbs. Used them for picnics and sea kayaking camping and so forth. Wont leave home without one. Also works really well as a windbreak and a sunshade for us pasty skinned types.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Hey Grewen. He made reference to the Gimme Shelter documentary it was a joke. You are quite critical of me. I don't hide behind screen names. I am out there and easy enough to reach. You are just another guy on a keyboard with an alligator mouth and a canary ass. Knock it off please. I have never directed a derogatory remark towards you before. If you don't like my posts don't read them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts