TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started with the cyclerack pannier and a free pair of givi e21's

The pannier was a bit small so i had to make an adapter plate and i put on a givi lug kit which is the attachments pieces for most givi boxes.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Last just put on the pannier/adapter plate. The givi boxes have a quick disconnect so they just pop on and off of the adapter plate or just take off the whole pannier which only takes a few seconds.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Those look real nice. Do they move around at all, as in sway from side to side?

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If they are empty you can move them a little by hand. I rode about 2 miles at 40mph or less and they were empty and didnt move around. My turn signals are to long but they flex enough to be out of the way until i shorten them or get shorter ones. I dont think they will move especially if They have weight in them. We will see.

·
Super Moderator
1,920 Posts
Thanks goes to Hodakaguy for this mod that I used to shorten my turn signals

Time to shorten the turn signals to get them to fit behind the Bags. I looked around at aftermarket ones and didn't see any I really liked...So I just modified the stock ones.

Here I started by taking the stock turn signals apart and cutting down the signal stocks.

Next I went to the local hardware store and bought a couple of these hollow threaded shafts that you use to hang light fixtures in your home, and cut it to size.

Here I installed two layers of heat shrink tubing onto the exposed wires of the turn signals, now that the signal stocks are shorter the wires will be exposed to the ends of the threaded tubes .

Here's the wiring installed back on the bike. The factory rubber boot that keeps water out of the signal will no longer work with the new size nuts that are used on the new threaded piece. Soooo, I used some black RTV to seal the wiring where the shrink tubing comes out of the threaded tube.

Here you can see the difference in the shortened turn signal vs the stock signal. Now just repeat for the other side.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Those panniers look great...just the right size and the price was great..free is good!!.

I modified the OEM panniers from my V-Strom and installed them on the TW.They work great but at speeds over 100kph or less when driving into a stiff headwind the bike weaves/wobbles.

I am curious if you have noticed any different handling characteristics with your set up??

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have only been a mile or two and less than 40mph so far. I have some road testing to do

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well on my last road trip in October to the blue Ridge Parkway we hit up the Heintooga/Balsam mountain loop. 28 miles of tight twisty curvy one way gravel road. I dont remember if it was on this road or another but there was a long section of gravel woops just enough to get a little air off of them. As you can see in this pic that that cyclerack panniers "left one" bent down. I dont think its from the weight as much as its from them flapping up and down while on the woop sections. The nylon attachement they come with is mounted at the top of the supports which doesnt do a good job of keeping them from bouncing around.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So this is my first attempt to fix the swaying "flapping" of the boxes. I took a piece of stell about 1"x 1/8", bent it in a vise, drilled two holes on each side and mounted it to the lower section of the cyclerack pannier adapters i made for the givi boxes. Its about 1/8" from the rear fender. The boxes dont sway at all now so i think its a cheap fix to the issue.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I made it to when i put the brace on it and tighten it down it actually pulls the cyclerack panniers down tight in order to keep them from being able to sway left/right. Im sure i will find out how they work real soon. Going to ride around Moab with "Ron from Boise" then after that i will mount them up and plan to do some advriding. If all goes well we will try to hit "Mogi Dugway" google images if you want to see it. The Burr trail, highway 12, Cottonwood canyon, Hell's backbone and maybe Smokey mountain road if its open/clear of snow. None of those roads are challenging to ride "some dirt/some pavement" but the scenery should be killer from

The google images ive seen. I have been on 12 before in a car and its got to be in my top 5 paved roads ive been on.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I think the left side probably bent from the awesome g forces attained in the super cool deep on the footpeg shot. That is a cool pic. Lower and faster than I have been on the street.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts