TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
14 hours on the road today, pulled the truck into the yard after idling slowly around the park where a girls t-ball team was ending practice. Pushing Tdub out of the warehouse when I heard a straight-piped Harley rev up, dump the clutch, and accelerate down the street at full throttle. Caught a glimpse of Mr. Lifestyler in his black wife beater and no helmet flash by with a little girl about 5 propped up in front of him. Don't know what happened, but when he hit 2nd I heard the engine rev until the valves floated, the screech of metal on asphalt. I bolted out the gate and was the first to arrive, the first victim I came to was the little girl. Though I couldn't see the damage to her head, it probably didn't matter because there was a bloody 6-foot smear of brain and her chin was resting between her shoulder blades. She was probably dead before the slide stopped. I closed her eyes and mouth, then headed back towards the crowd to warn people off. Mr. Lifestyler was pinned under the bike and whining for someone to pick up the bike, a very custom chopper, so I did, then shoved it all the way over on the other side into the ditch.

"What the f--- did you do that for, a$$ + O?"

"She's dead, a$$ + O," accidently tripping over his face on my way back to the yard.

I can't believe the way some of the lifestylers are.

EDIT: And that, Children, is why I am not a biker.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Damn..... Just, Damn. I am truly sorry you had to see that.I will say a prayer for that little girl and even her "lifestyle father".

Tom

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
just sad.

·
Registered
186 Posts
That kind of image can scar you for life. Sorry Querty, I think you already have mentioned how you feel about humanity in general. That's the kind of thing that can reaffirm your disdain. Now for the lifestyler. He's got to live with that for the rest of his life. I wouldn't want to be him.

·
Registered
493 Posts
That is horrible.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Bless you for what you did. So sorry you had to see that. What an unbelievable imbecile. Move him to the top of the "You Can't Fix Stupid" list. To hear of a child killed by this 'genious' it saddens me. In my mind, you showed a lot of restraint, Qwerty. I know my mouth would have gone off the deep end. AAaarrrggh! Not even going to type what I'm thinking.

·
Registered
240 Posts
If you have to go, quick is what I would assume is the best way. It sounds like she couldn't have suffered much, if at all; which in my opinion is a good thing. I cannot imagine what the family is going through right now. My soon to be 5 year old son is the light of my life and wouldn't even consider letting him ride with me sans helmet (no matter how much he begs). My days on this earth would probably be short lived if I lived in his shoes (from grief and guilt). Dear LORD, keep this little girl and all the children who fall victim to the thoughtless people in this world. -Amen

·
Registered
546 Posts
Qwerty, I read your post yesterday and had no words.
Thought about it all day today and I am still speechless.....so, so sad.
Sorry you had to witness this tragedy.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I feel horrible for the child and the family. QWERTY, post the news about it. I too, used to ride my children in front of me when they were young. I can't believe now, how stupid I was. My prayers go out for the family. (and also for the dad. He needs prayer also)

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Can anyone link me to a news report of this incident? I know a careless parent that needs to have it forwarded to him. Might just do the trick since spoken words don't seem to.
Me too. PLEASE! My neighbor needs to see this. He's a hotrodding harley grandpa that never grew up. He takes his granddaughter for rides without helmets on either of them.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Haven't found that story yet on the net, but this one is just sad too. Father and 11 year old daughter cross centerline of road with NO helmets on at "Dead man's curve" in Brooklyn Illinois last spring following a pack of friends and are hit head-on by an unlicensed girl and are both killed. You can't fix stupid and you can't bring back the dead. Girl, father riding motorcycle killed in crash on curve in Brooklyn : News

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Q, that's so F'd-up. It goes without saying you did a huge service keeping the other parents & their children away from the scene of the accident. Thank you for that. That must have been very traumatic, I hope you will be ok in time.

I just erased two paragraphs of rant. I did this because I can not put into words all the directions of thought this incident has led me. Prayers for the little girl & her family are far better than any of my opinions. m.

·
Registered
553 Posts
What a waste. Shame you had to see that.

Most of my other thoughts have already been said.

Where I am at the moment, this is also a fear. I took this photo today, which is a common (as in every minute or two you see it) occurrence.

Amazingly, what you can't see is the lady on the rear holding a little baby on her lap........yep, 6.

·
Registered
96 Posts
A lot of kids end up riding in "funny" riding positions on small motorcycles and scooters all over the world. Do I do it? Nope. Would I? Nope. But it is done in relative safety by parents who are trying to be safe and involving speeds that still end up appropriate for a school zone (slower than I have ridden a bicycle).

I believe what makes the guy that Qwerty witnessed a true A-hole is:

1. He was clearly riding beyond his limits (quite likely trying to impress somebody)
2. It sounds like he was possibly beyond his bike's limits
3. He was on a public road
4. He most likely did not allow enough braking room

I think the whole situation is heartbreaking, but it does not sound like a helmet and a "proper" riding position would have been sufficient to save this littler girl from the A-hole's stupidity.

I am an ATGATT guy. I won't get on a freeway without full leathers (textiles are limited to surface streets, for me). Stupid kills even if you have the gear. In this instance, stupid killed the wrong person.

Matthew

1 - 20 of 24 Posts