TW200 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the bike that started it all for me. Back on the farm growing up, it did it all. No matter how hard three boys tried to find its expiration date, Dad’s 87 still runs to this day.
I’ve been on an 05 R6 long enough to know I wanted to slow down. It was fun in my younger years, but it’s time to enjoy the other pleasures of riding besides speed. It took me a while to find the right one, but after about 1 ½ years of search, I found my TW.
1987 w/ 3200 miles $1100 on CL
null_zps16369256.jpg
null_zpscfa779d9.jpg

I want to enjoy it as is for the rest of the summer and then start the rebirth this winter. By next spring, I hope to be on an adventure/camp out ready, highway pro.

Goals

Increased Comfort:
Seat Concepts
larger pegs
ProTaper ATV bars
hand guards
Trail Tech X2 and improvising an appropriate windscreen to it

Increased Range:
Clark Tank
Moose Expedition luggage rack with Happy Trails Teton panniers
Rotopax can inboard mounted to port side pannier
Oil Cooler (debating on LizrBrth’s kit, or doing a Northern Hurricane fan)
I understand going up from the stock rear 50 to a 52 will slightly help highway mpg/top end

General Accessories:
Trail Tech Striker
Sealed Chain
LED turn signals/brake light
If stock rear shock size is 12” from eye to eye, going to a 12 ½”
Auxiliary power and mount for iPhone

I’m going to pull it all off after a through test fit of everything, and then full refurb time. Powdercoat, paint, bearings, seals, wiring shakedown, and then reassemble in time for some early spring gremlin hunting rides before putting her back on full time duty. For me, I’d rather spend money on a bike unique to me, instead of buying something off a showroom floor.

So, I’m excited to join the forum, and I’m loving every slow mile put on so far, and hopefully the many more to come. Any input, thread shortcuts on DIY, ride reports, or pics of your own TW is welcomed and greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone, can’t wait to contribute.

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
I'm a 87 fan too!
That's a nice looking bike, mine is the blue and white 87.
You mentioned going to a 52 on the rear sprocket. Don't you mean going to a 48 for better top end? If you go to a 52, you will have less top end speed. Honestly, it's hard to beat the 14/50 combo that Yamaha came up with.
Do your research on the rear shock, a little goes a long way when dealing with eye to eye adjustments in the end.
Also, the 87 is unique in it's charging/starting system. It has the lowest output of all the TW's. So again, a little research for the I phone and extra power outlet might be good beforehand.
Enjoy that bike!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Skip,
So the 48 will make it a better highway bike over the 52? I guess i got the two directions mixed up. I cruise at around 60-63 mph right now, I'd like to be able to touch 65 rather easily on level ground.

I've read a couple of different writes ups on the rear shock. The 1:3 length:rise ratio seems to be the concensous. I'm just wanting to offset the added weight I'll be adventually traveling with. At 6' tall, I'm already desiring a little bit more height.

So what are some recommended options for upgrading the bike's electrical system? Newer factory parts, aftermarket?

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
Yes on the 48. A lot of folks try different rear sprockets. Everything makes a difference, hills, wind, how much you are carrying, how much you weigh, etc. Remember it's a little bike. Commonly tried is the 47 tooth rear sprocket, works for some and not for some. Many go back to the 14/50 combo. It has the best of both worlds and is designed well from Yamaha.

I think you are right on the shock 1:3 length/rise ratio. I just mentioned it because some are not aware that an inch longer eye to eye is not a inch higher in height on the bike.

I don't think there is an easy fix on a 87 for more output. It is do-able but probably not cost effective since everything has to be changed. As it is now, you can put in a power outlet to charge up a phone or run a little air compressor, but not a lot more unless you change to LED bulbs in the headlight, tail light, signals, etc to save some juice.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, half the fun is digging through threads, thanks for the info.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts