TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Glad to find you nut jobs!

3K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Loppy 
#1 ·
What kind of a lunatic would own, modify and ride a goofy bike like the TW? Ha...
Just picked up my second TDub (still slapping myself for selling the first one
) . A PEACH of an 09, bought new in 2011, with 4800 mi and looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor (cept for totall shot stocker tires). I'm a 45 yr old x desert racer/R100GS adventure rider that just wants to putt around the camp ground, chase my son around on the trails, and commute to work. The TDub was my choice (again). I love it.

Been reading for the last three days, some awesome tech on this place. I cant wait to add to it (I like to fabricate stuff). Cant wait to share knowledge, tools, parts and beer with you guys. I'm gunna start with Cycleracks for sure, need to find a 47 rear sproket, up the main jet a tad and some bar risers. The guy gave me a brand new set of Bridgestone 204's? (90% street) that I'd like to sell or trade for some all around DS tires (will hit the classifieds with that).

I've already had the little bastard deep in the Rubicon (will post up some go pro vids, once I figure out how) and rode it to work today. Looking forward to getting to know you guys and rod'n the TDub again. Cheers! Jeff

See less See more
Reactions: LarryK
#3 ·
Thanks brotha! So many stupid questions. Previous owner did the long shock upgrade and put a high fender on it. That's about all I know about this bike. Slowly taking things apart to see what's been done. So far, looks bone stock otherwise. I finally figured out photo bucket, so here's the beast in my garage.

#4 ·
Had it up around Loon Lake, rode all over the Crystal Basin area, including on the Rubicon itself (just West of Lake Tahoe, Sierras) which is roughly 8000 to 9000 ft. It ran great (which means its too lean, lol). This is "cell phone point" behind the Chalet at Loon. Great stuff.

#7 ·
Looks like a Blaster shock mod. That unit will certainly kick the back up a 'bit'. You are a brave man should you be playing around the "Rubicon". After less than an 1/8th of a mile, I knew it was more than I cared to deal will. Take care. Gerry

This is about as far as I would go:

Here is a picture of Tony (forum member) and I checking out some near-by terrain. The trip was presented by another ex-forum member as something "my Wife could do". Given that I never met this guys wife, I was a bit skeptical as to his judgement and decided to go on my own adventure. The Rubicon group was gone pretty much all day, and some of the night. Most returned looking pretty beat and I suspect all were wondering what this guys Wife was all about. All mightily secured memories that will last till their last breath and were none the worse for wear (luckily). I had a great afternoon as well. The Rubicon is one tough ride.. Gerry

#8 ·
Right on Gerry. Looks like you guys were down on the Wentworth Springs entrance. The whole area makes great exploration and cruise'n around on a Tdub.

I have some go pro vids of us riding on the big slab... I uploaded it but still having problems. Hoping to figure that out shortly. If you're ever down this way again, give me a buzz. I know the whole area really well and we can get into all kinds of trouble.

#11 ·
It does, and its a bit weird at first. But it sags like crazy too, so much so the chain looks really sloppy at rest. When I'm on it, and surely if I had some crap on the rack (which showed up today, thanks Cycleracks!) it really sits about right. Like I said, I got it that way and its done right with a brand new spring and everything. The guy gave me the stocker too, so I may play with it. Just gotta work on that front suspension.

Jeff, if I can stop ageing, and you can wait twenty years, maybe we can ride together. OR, you promise to put a governor on your motor and set the max speed at 13mph.

Your right about my direction of travel. Tony and the group went in from Loon lake and continued to ride the entire Rubicon trail. I just meandered about and ended up at the Wentworth Springs side. It is hard to imagine that this was the 'main' road during the time of model 'Tees' heading to Lake Tahoe. While eating breakfast at a Denny's on South shore, I looked at some pictures from the late '20s' and early '30s' of folks 'driving' from the Sacramento valley to the VERY beautiful lake Tahoe. What they did with their 'cars' makes what a few of us do with our TW's look like 'baby steps'.

We can imagine what pioneers in wagons faced when moving West. Let me tell you, I had the same sense of awe when seeing folks in model Tee's heading to those 'must see' points of interest. Gerry

My friend. I'm 45 and broke just about every bone in my body at one point. Aint no spring chicken here either. hahaha... Its not the age, its the milage. But heck yeah, I'm good at putt'n around on easy fire roads too, in fact I prefer it. This was a momentary lapse of reason with cold beer on the brain. hahaha... I've seen lots of those pictures too. Amazing. Model T's were tough though, really tough. Hell, you could fix just about anything on it with a blunt rock and your leather belt (literally taken right off their pants for repairs). Great stuff!

#10 ·
Jeff, if I can stop ageing, and you can wait twenty years, maybe we can ride together. OR, you promise to put a governor on your motor and set the max speed at 13mph.

Your right about my direction of travel. Tony and the group went in from Loon lake and continued to ride the entire Rubicon trail. I just meandered about and ended up at the Wentworth Springs side. It is hard to imagine that this was the 'main' road during the time of model 'Tees' heading to Lake Tahoe. While eating breakfast at a Denny's on South shore, I looked at some pictures from the late '20s' and early '30s' of folks 'driving' from the Sacramento valley to the VERY beautiful lake Tahoe. What they did with their 'cars' makes what a few of us do with our TW's look like 'baby steps'.

We can imagine what pioneers in wagons faced when moving West. Let me tell you, I had the same sense of awe when seeing folks in model Tee's heading to those 'must see' points of interest. Gerry

#13 ·
Yeehaw! I can't wait to get mine up there. On my list.

#17 ·
I'm in. always wanted to check out THE Rubicon and would be quite fun to try it with fellow Tw riders. Sounds like I would need to work on getting in better shape for it......

#18 ·
Welp, I'm 45, 240 lbs and my body has seen its better days, for sure and I had fun. Yes, you get beat up, but stay on the pegs and keep tractoring through and its not too bad. I lowered the tire pressure down to about 12 which helped. Its totally doable. The whole trail? ugh... that's a bit much. But playing around on the slabs even up to Ellis Creek, fully doable and fun. You'll dig it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.