TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Registered
I tried several models before settling on a medium frame Sig Sauer P-250 for my primary carry weapon. Its heavy and a bit bulky but with half a thumb and a little finger that does not bend all the way on my shooting hand I was not that confident I could maintain a firm enough grip on anything smaller. I can release the slide and magazine on the Sig one handed if necessary.

In Nam my constant companion in base camp (shower, shitter, chow line, bunk) was a Smith and Wesson Chief's Special Revolver - 2 inch barrel, 5 round cylinder. I left it with my replacement and recently thought about getting another for a back-up, more for nostalgia than efficiency.

Registered
I like Glocks even though I don't own one. My brothers, son and nephews all shoot/carry Glocks and they are a fine pistol. I have a couple of .380s that are super compact, and while they serve a purpose, that of easy concealment, they are not the funnest thing to shoot, but when you're shooting for the preservation of your life I would guess that is not fun by definition. In a 9mm I would think it would be even less fun, and I'm not terribly recoil sensitive. It's just something about only having two fingers, trigger finger and middle finger, and a thumb gripping the pistol.

Registered
This one is interesting. Though I've been wanting a S&W M&P Shield .40 once I get to a state that doesn't have registration laws so I can buy one.

Registered
This one is interesting. Though I've been wanting a S&W M&P Shield .40 once I get to a state that doesn't have registration laws so I can buy one.
I have shot both the G43 and i own a shield in 9mm and have put over well over 4k rounds thru it.. I have also shot the shield in .40 a good bit. All three are good guns, the G43 for me is a little too small in my hands. It also does not have near the recoil control that the shield does. In my opinion .40 is a little too much round for the shield frame. It shoots 9mm really nicely but 40 is harder to control, it has a ton of recoil. My .45 shoots softer than the shield 40 does. If i was going to buy a non full framed .40 it would be the M&P compact .40 or a G23.

Registered
Thanks for the input, jb. How does the G23 compare size-wise to the Shield? I've held the Shield .40 and liked the size of it. I want something small and light for easy concealed carry but with enough stopping power for an animal if I'm out camping. I know it's not gonna drop something big like a bear. :)

Another one I want eventually is the S&W .50 revolver (hand cannon). A friend has one and it's magnificent.

Registered
I bought 2 of those on Thursday. Got one in the Bronze version. They are the same size as my LC9 but cost about $100 more.

Registered
The 23 and the S&W compact are both thicker with double stack mags vs the single stack on the shield. At the end of the day the stopping power between a 9mm with P+ ammo and a .40 is pretty marginal. If you need to kill a large animal you would be much better off w a rifle.

I find the shield to be the prefect size for ccw. Mine is my EDC.

Registered
Are you talking about buying new? If so; ARE there states where a dealer can sell, without you filling out government paperwork? I believe some states allow person to person sales between people that both live in that state without any forms. When I was last in California; you were required to do a transfer through a dealer, buyer getting a background check and pay a fee. -J-
My information may not be totally up to date but the last time I checked only three states west of the Mississippi required background checks for gun show purchases; California, Colorado and Oregon, although some local jurisdictions have tried to impose their own regulations, generally unconstitutional and unsuccessful. Private sales between individuals (defined as a person whose primary livelihood is not based on firearm sales) are likewise exempted from background checks.

That having been said I would offer my own personal experience. Several years ago a friend of a close relative inherited a large quantity of firearms, accessories and ammunition from her father who was a barber and avid trader and gun collector. She was not comfortable selling the items herself and the offers for the whole lot were ridiculously low so she asked for my assistance. I agreed, given the understanding that it would probably take a long time to realize a fair price.

Initially I sold several but always required the purchasers to provide a photo ID which I copied and kept for my own records. If they declined I refused to sell. After dealing with too many flakes and spooks I decided it was not worth the bother and potential risk so now all that I sell have background checks handled by a local Federal Firearms Licensee for a small fee. I still handle the advertising and negotiations.

If you do purchase or sell a firearm from/to an individual or at a gun show you have no way of knowing who you might be dealing with - a criminal, mentally ill person, an undercover LEO or worse, or the possibility your personal information and or identification may be determined and reported anyway. Some may recall the initial federal charge against Randy Weaver of Ruby Ridge stemmed from his sale of a modified shotgun to an undercover ATF agent who then tried to coerce Randy into becoming an informant against the Aryan Nation.

A personal anecdote, in early 1993 I purchased an M-1 Carbine at a Fort Worth gun show, without any background check. Later, while still at the show I was approached by an individual who asked he if he could see my carbine then made an offer to buy for more than I paid. I declined and directed him to the table where I made my purchase where there were several more to choose from. He said no, he wanted to buy from me. I again declined and went on my way giving the matter no further thought. Several months later when the smoke from Waco cleared and the trials of the survivors began I recognized Paul Fatta as the would be buyer. The moral - you never know who you might be dealing with in the shadows. Not worth the risk to me.

Just my two cents and certainly not guaranteed accuracy or legality.

Registered
Washington state requires background checks and FFL dealer transfer on All firearms including ALL private sales of long and short arms

btw all the people at Waco were innocent til proven guilty and the only criminals were law enforcement

Registered
My information may not be totally up to date but the last time I checked only three states west of the Mississippi required background checks for gun show purchases; California, Colorado and Oregon, although some local jurisdictions have tried to impose their own regulations, generally unconstitutional and unsuccessful. Private sales between individuals (defined as a person whose primary livelihood is not based on firearm sales) are likewise exempted from background checks.

That having been said I would offer my own personal experience. Several years ago a friend of a close relative inherited a large quantity of firearms, accessories and ammunition from her father who was a barber and avid trader and gun collector. She was not comfortable selling the items herself and the offers for the whole lot were ridiculously low so she asked for my assistance. I agreed, given the understanding that it would probably take a long time to realize a fair price.

Initially I sold several but always required the purchasers to provide a photo ID which I copied and kept for my own records. If they declined I refused to sell. After dealing with too many flakes and spooks I decided it was not worth the bother and potential risk so now all that I sell have background checks handled by a local Federal Firearms Licensee for a small fee. I still handle the advertising and negotiations.

If you do purchase or sell a firearm from/to an individual or at a gun show you have no way of knowing who you might be dealing with - a criminal, mentally ill person, an undercover LEO or worse, or the possibility your personal information and or identification may be determined and reported anyway. Some may recall the initial federal charge against Randy Weaver of Ruby Ridge stemmed from his sale of a modified shotgun to an undercover ATF agent who then tried to coerce Randy into becoming an informant against the Aryan Nation.

A personal anecdote, in early 1993 I purchased an M-1 Carbine at a Fort Worth gun show, without any background check. Later, while still at the show I was approached by an individual who asked he if he could see my carbine then made an offer to buy for more than I paid. I declined and directed him to the table where I made my purchase where there were several more to choose from. He said no, he wanted to buy from me. I again declined and went on my way giving the matter no further thought. Several months later when the smoke from Waco cleared and the trials of the survivors began I recognized Paul Fatta as the would be buyer. The moral - you never know who you might be dealing with in the shadows. Not worth the risk to me.

Just my two cents and certainly not guaranteed accuracy or legality.
Until the recent enactment of the NY SAFE ACT, it was always legal to sell and buy long guns between private parties. I could legally find long guns, rifles and shotguns, at a yard sale and buy them at will. Hand guns have always been highly restricted here. After the SAFE ACT it is now illegal in NY to transfer any long gun or hand guns without the middle man being a FFL dealer and doing the paperwork and the background checks.

We can open a can-0-worms here discussing the advantages and disadvantages of these laws. How I feel personally makes no difference at all. What I find as the failure of laws such as what NY just enacted is that I can still go to PA and many other states and purchase a lot of guns, both long and short and bring them home. NY wants all guns to be registered while many other states are not following suit. Most of the long guns I have owned for most of my life are completely off the radar so these new laws are nothing more than a wasted effort and a way for NY to tax by way of a fee in the process of registering my guns. Understanding what NY is attempting to do is all well and good but the reality of it is a complete joke. By demanding full registration of any and all guns in this state the result will simply be a matter of making most legal gun owners into instant criminals. Very few gun owners will ever agree with such restrictions and registrations so we will be Illegal gun owners by the stroke of a pen. Fast forward, get caught with an illegal, unregistered gun of any kind here in NY and get convicted of that felony and you instantly lose every right you ever had to ever own any guns at all. Case closed, confiscation of all of your guns can take place and you are now essentially disarmed which BTW is their ultimate goal. The left in this country fully believe that all gun owners are criminals and that no citizen should ever be allowed to own a gun. They can paint this any color they want but total disarmament of the American public is the one and only goal they strive to achieve. They are slowly and very methodically achieving this goal by chipping away, piece by piece, at the rights afforded to us under the second amendment.

No one in this country wants a madman or nut job in possession of a gun but the reality of determining who is a madman or nut job is absolutely out of the realm of possibility. I consider all criminals to be nuts and madmen but a criminal is not a criminal until he is convicted of a crime and therefore go undetected. A sane individual can and does go off the deep end at a moments notice with just the slightest incident to set him/her off. You are fired! Your GF left you or was in bed with some other guy, you cut me off while driving and just about any other personal life changing event can do it. Show me exactly how we can legislate sanity and I might be willing to agree with some of these BS laws regarding guns. You can't so I won't! Man has been killing man since the very beginning of time and will continue doing so until the last man is standing. Governments have killed far more humans than any other entity and they wish to continue doing it without the threat of equal force in the hands of the common man. Well proven time and time again in the annals of history.

I have a very different outlook on this subject. Any US citizen living in this country and under and by the rights afforded to us under our constitution who agrees with any new gun laws and restrictions which go against our constitution is INSANE and should absolutely be disarmed and convicted of the crime of Failure to protect the constitution against all enemies both foreign and domestic! This BTW is the oath of office taken by every politician, cop and military member as well as by every new citizen welcomed into our country.

Rant Over!

GaryL

Registered
Definitely not a new gun. Many of my co workers carry them. Its a great back up choice or concealed carry weapon. If it were not redundant with my Kimber Solo I would own one since Glock gives a nice LE discount! I've shot them a few times and it is comfortable for its size.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts